VOGONS

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone.

I just purchased this at a local thrift store. Still in foil, looks brand new and unused.
I can't power it on though. It does not have a built in PS nor any normal DC jack. Instead, it has a din style jack but it looks like it requires a female (?????) jack input? I thought I would try my Commodore 64 PS but it has a male jack.

Correct me if I'm wrong and please direct me to some place where I can find something to power this...

laserxt1.th.jpg
laserxt2.th.jpg
laserxt3.th.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
Hi everyone. […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone.

I just purchased this at a local thrift store. Still in foil, looks brand new and unused.
I can't power it on though. It does not have a built in PS nor any normal DC jack. Instead, it has a din style jack but it looks like it requires a female (?????) jack input? I thought I would try my Commodore 64 PS but it has a male jack.

Correct me if I'm wrong and please direct me to some place where I can find something to power this...

laserxt1.th.jpg
laserxt2.th.jpg
laserxt3.th.jpg

Best of luck finding that one. It would probably take you less time to find a wiring diagram and a DIN connector and modding an ATX supply.

Reply 2 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need an power brick for that. Its looks like its need a female Din connection.. Can you see the power requirements on the machine?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 9, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

You need an power brick for that. Its looks like its need a female Din connection.. Can you see the power requirements on the machine?

Unfortunately, no. There is nothing printed or otherwise that would say what it needs. I figured that this might be a clone of some other "original" IBM machine and it might use the same PS.

Reply 4 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if it may use the same PSU as the Laser 128 (which in turn was the same as the Apple IIc PSU)? It would make sense that they'd use the same PSU across several models, especially given that Laser's main business was Apple clones...

Reply 5 of 9, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I wonder if it may use the same PSU as the Laser 128 (which in turn was the same as the Apple IIc PSU)? It would make sense that they'd use the same PSU across several models, especially given that Laser's main business was Apple clones...

This is really good information. In that case, would this work? I can't exactly make out the plug but it looks like the one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply-Laser-Se … =item20b0eb2bbf

Reply 6 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That or this would probably be a good bet.

To be on the safe side, though, you should probably trace the wiring on your connector to make sure it matches the IIc pinout.

Reply 7 of 9, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

That or this would probably be a good bet.

To be on the safe side, though, you should probably trace the wiring on your connector to make sure it matches the IIc pinout.

Ok, so this is confusing me. I took it apart and here's what I found. I'm not an electronics major so please bear with me.

plug.jpg

1 and 2 seem connected together in the back
3 seems to be connected to ground
4 is connected to something that on the other side says -12V but then it's also connected to ground somehow?
5 is connected to something that says +12V
6 and 7 are connected together in the back and then all 1,2,6,7 seem to be soldered to the same plate?

plug2.th.jpg
plug3.th.jpg

EDIT: I found another auction with a power supply for a Vtech computer. I'm 100% sure it has a female jack, question is, will this work with this comp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTech-Power-Supply-AC … =item2c5e9d223f

EDIT2: Actually, my description of the connections might be completely off as i don't know what these red/brownish things are that connect them.

Reply 8 of 9, by alhartman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the manual for this unit, and I've been trying to find a power supply for mine also.

It needs 3 voltages, +5v. +12v, -12v.

The pin out of the connector is (the female on the far left of the unit):

Pins 1 & 2 = +5v
Pin 3 = 0v
Pin 4 = -12
Pin 5 = +12
Pins 6 & 7 = 0v

Pin 1 is the pin at the 1 O'clock position looking from the outside of the unit.

An Atari-ST Power Brick has the correct voltages, but the pinouts are different.

Pins 1 & 2 = 0v
Pin 3 = -12v
Pin 4 = 0v
Pin 5 = +12
Pins 6 & 7 = +5v

So, you can either cut off the connector and re-wire it, or make an adapter using a male to male cable adapter.

Or, you could use an XT Power supply and wire that up to a Male 7-Pin DIN Connector.

Reply 9 of 9, by copper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got one of these unique machines; came with manual and some disks. Posting here in case this helps someone else. I will archive the disks and scan the full manual when I can.

Attachments

• IMG_4580.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4580.jpeg
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_4578.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4578.jpeg