VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no idea if my board will feed it the correct voltage.

Right now it has a slot-1 Coppermine @600MHz but I do have a slocket here which I'm hoping to mod and drop in a 1.3GHz tualeron for shits n' giggles.

The slocket does have voltage jumpers on it but I'm still worried since my board gives no vcore adjustments and no monitoring options to check.
The only voltage adjustment is a jumper to increase it for overclocking.

Rather than trying this and cooking something I figured I'd ask you guys for ideas first.

Attachments

• cpu.png
    Filename
    cpu.png
    File size
    13.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • mb.png
    Filename
    mb.png
    File size
    8.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mem.png
    Filename
    mem.png
    File size
    8.98 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 16, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only time I saw one of those it was ridiculously expensive. 🙁
The slocket I have has jumpers for 1.3v to 3.5v as well as 2 others that aren't labeled.

Reply 4 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, Slot-T is a good option for motherboards having a voltage regulator that is able to provide voltages down to 1.3V; I use it on my Tualatin-powered P3B-F motherboard. It also works fine in one of my P2B boards (rev. 1.10). The following guide is very useful for Asus P2B upgrades. You can check whether your board's power regulator is compatible with Tualatin or not:

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … ltage_regulator

This information is also valid for any other slocket with jumpers for 1.3V to 3.5V if you do the CPU mod. Slot-T just makes the mod unnecessary.

Reply 5 of 16, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It appears I do have a supported voltage regulator and my adapter works fine so far.

I still need to mod either the slocket or the chip, but I'm not sure which one is a better idea.

Attachments

• cpu2.png
    Filename
    cpu2.png
    File size
    13.54 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheLazy1 wrote:

It appears I do have a supported voltage regulator and my adapter works fine so far.

But did you actually examine your motherboard's voltage regulator, or you think it's a supported one just because a Pentium III 800 works fine? You could be overvolting it to 1.8V without noticing. A Coppermine CPU will happily accept that voltage (their nominal Vcore is 1.65V-1.75V), but I doubt a Tualatin could survive it. You should install Asus PC Probe to monitor Vcore.

Reply 8 of 16, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, your Tualeron should work fine then. About where to do the mod, I'm not really sure about that. I guess it would be reasonable to mod whatever component is cheaper and easier to replace if something goes bad.

Reply 10 of 16, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm cheap and do not already have conductive paint, in theory could all of the bridging be done on the slocket using tiny wires and careful soldering?

Reply 11 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

I'm cheap and do not already have conductive paint, in theory could all of the bridging be done on the slocket using tiny wires and careful soldering?

Solder and wire cost more to use than conductive paint and if you make a mistake, it's harder to fix. Get a rear window defroster repair kit for a few bucks at the auto parts store. It has a small jar of conductive paint in it.

Reply 12 of 16, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm more worried about my shaky hands with either method.
If you did all of the mods on the slocket itself, could you plug in any unmodified Tualatin and have it work?

Reply 13 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a guy on ebay selling the chips pre-modded so all you have to do is plug them in if you want to do it the really easy way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-Celeron-1-4G … =item415d0baaed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GH … =item3f04fd9f47

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-09-07, 14:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

I'm more worried about my shaky hands with either method.
If you did all of the mods on the slocket itself, could you plug in any unmodified Tualatin and have it work?

You could use masking tape, if your working area (on the PCB itself) permits it's use 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 16, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

There's a guy on ebay selling the chips pre-modded so all you have to do is plug them in if you want to do it the really easy way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-Celeron-1-4G … =item415d0baaed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GH … =item3f04fd9f47

Word of warning. I bought a Tualeron 1.3 from someone in Seoul with that exact page layout and won't work in either my ASUS CUSL2-CP (Intel 815EP) or MSI-6309 (Via Apollo 133A). The MSI would post and try to start but then the screen went all gibberish. The CUSL2-CP wouldn't post at all!

Dunno if the chip burned up or what but its a paperweight to me 🙁

I didn't contact him as I waited too long before trying the chip.