VOGONS

First post, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up an old Panasonic CF-M32 laptop for use as my portable MS-DOS gaming PC(it's as big as my ASUS EEEPC netbook), but I'm having some problems getting a CD-ROM drive to work. Basically, this computer has neither a CD-ROM drive or a floppy drive. I'm looking to get a CD-ROM drive to work on the computer, but so far, I've been unsuccessful. So I need your help to get a CD-ROM drive working.

The computer has a single USB port on the side, which I figured could have been used with my LG GCC-5241P external DVD-ROM drive, but after spending two days trying to get the drive to work, I still can't get it to work. I did come across USB drivers for DOS, but I've gotten nowhere with them. So here are my questions to you:

1) If you've gotten a USB CD/DVD-ROM drive to work on MS-DOS v6.22, how did you do so?
2) Do virtual CD-ROM drives exist for MS-DOS?

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://adoxa.110mb.com/shsucdx/index.html
No CD Audio support.

Also
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

If you install 98/ME/2000 on there you can use Daemon Tools or equivalent for DOS/Windows games while windows is loaded.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

I just got the Collector's CD-ROM edition of X-Wing working thanks to that, which I found just after posting this thread.

Now, I have another question: would there be some way to hook up a USB or Game port controller to the computer? Is there a PCMCIA card I can get with a Game port on it or something along those lines?

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the DOS games you want to play with a gamepad work under 9x command prompt then that should work and would be far easier and more compatible (assuming the games work fine under 9x command prompt of course)

That would be better than trying to hunt down a compatible PCMCIA gameport and a gameport pad that doesn't suck and still works....

Also those PCMCIA cards usually stick out especially with something as big as a gameport cable whereas USB is much small (and you could use a USB hub as well for the mouse but I'm sure you have a Keyboard\Mouse port for that).

Last edited by DosFreak on 2011-09-08, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ace wrote:

Now, I have another question: would there be some way to hook up a USB or Game port controller to the computer? Is there a PCMCIA card I can get with a Game port on it or something along those lines?

If you aren't too picky, there are gamepads that can plug into the serial port or the keyboard port. They're not particularly common, but neither are PCMCIA gameport adapters.