VOGONS

First post, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Near the battery, there are 3 red glass diodes, if you remove the middle diode, you can replace the old bad battery, with a lithium cell socket, and put a new battery in, and you have a working system.

By the way, most 486 128kb bios chips can be replaced, with a newer 256kb bios chip, and can be UNIFLASHed.

You only have to do one thing:

COPY /B BIOS128.BIN + BIOS128.BIN BIOS256.BIN

Then it just programs 2 copyes on the chip. You can even program it on a 486, it only tells you, that half on the chip did not get flashed.

I hot replaced my SOYO 486 motherboard bios chip, flashed it with newest PVI-486SP3 bios, and put the chip on my PVI, because my PVI was with a EPROM, and can not be flashed. But now it has a 256kb BIOS chip, from a dead Socket350 motherboard, and it works.

Last edited by Cyberdyne on 2011-09-19, 06:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the same mobo, thanks for the tip 😀
but you are using it with a BIOS from a different mobo? that's not such a good idea IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No i just HOTFLASHED the BIOS, in a different motherboard. Then seated the
FlashROM chip. I just wanted to point out, that you can use modern 256kb FlashROM chips in a 128kb 386/486 motherboards, and even replace EEPROM chips.

Reply 3 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 OK , I did not understand it well 😀 thanks for the tips!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 25, by ACSKJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same board(no red glass diodes, though). Right now the battery looks to be in perfect condition, but I was wondering if there was any reason to replace it with a lithium battery pre-emptively? Any harm is just waiting for it to die someday?

Reply 5 of 25, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Near the battery, there are 3 red glass diodes, if you remove the middle diode, you can replace the old bad battery, with a lithium cell socket, and put a new battery in, and you have a working system.

Could you add a picture of your board, please? I think there were at least two versions of it.

I have one of it, but didn't have to remove any diod to solder the new battery socket on it.
However, as the old NiMh battery is rechargeable, my fear is that the current is to high even for a rechargeable lithium cell. So did you remove the diod because of this or because it was in the way?

Reply 6 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This diode is conected to +5V line and other end is thru a resistor near the battery.
This will provide charging current to the battery. Then you can modernise your mobo. Because today every board uses lihthium cells.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 7 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am resurrecting this thread because I got back my SY-4SAW2 system and upon checking I found the dreaded V11H battery was starting to leak... fortunately it was in the beginning and no serious damage was done... here are 2 pics with the barrel battery removed:

2u5t91j.jpg

1zbyya0.jpg

Cyberdyne, is it really safe to remove the center diode and place a coin CR2032? I don't want to blow the mobo 🤣

Reply 8 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep middle diode has to be removed, so the lithium cell does not get charged.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 9 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah thanks for verifying this, I will solder a battery holder and fix this... I am unsure if I need to repair the affected tracks, do you think I should scratch them a little and put some solder on them making a patch ?

Reply 10 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

I am unsure if I need to repair the affected tracks, do you think I should scratch them a little and put some solder on them making a patch ?

From the photo, it looks to me as if the acid just ate away at the protective coating on the two traces. Check the resistance of the two trace ends with a multi-meter to ensure continuity.

There is no harm in gently scratching away at the remaining traces with sharp edge to expose the copper. After doing this, you can re-verify continuity with a multi-meter directly on the traces. The only problem with a continuity-only test is that you don't know how thin the trace has become (and thereby how much current/heat it can take), but in this case, such a small amount of current is being sent anyway, so I don't think it will matter. Just ensure that the BIOS holds charge.

I personally wouldn't ugly up the board with solder. If you scratch off the trace layer to expose the copper, be sure to cover it afterwards. For my last acid leak job, I used clear boxing tape to cover the traces and everything has been working fine for some time. I just replaced the rechargable battery with another one since I had extras.

Cyberdyne wrote:

Yep middle diode has to be removed, so the lithium cell does not get charged.

It sounds like your purpose in removing the diode is to break the electrical path to the 5V source for charging the battery. If you didn't want to remove the diode, you could cut a chunk out of one of the leads to break the connection.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, I just examined the board in daylight, it's just the coating that got discolored.... will remove it from the case an clean it up better tomorrow at my office and decide what to do with it. Luckily none of the nearby components or thiner tracks got affected 😀
The board also has pins for external battery and I got a couple of those lying around unused, will check them and maybe use one of those packs instead of a coin battery holder... though a holder will also cover up the discoloration.... 🤣 it's nice to have options 🤣

Reply 12 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just a small update, coin battery holder installed, D2 removed and everything working perfect 😀 thanks a mil or the info Cyberdyne !

zoe4vt.jpg

Reply 13 of 25, by citronalco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't want to necrobump (if that's possible in a forum about old stuff), but:
I removed the middle diode and soldered on a coin cell holder.
Works, but:
The coin cell only lasts a few weeks. After 1-2 months they're empty.

Reply 14 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curios how often you turn the board on and for how long ? Most CMOS quit saving when the volts drop below about 2.8-2.9 volts.
The original battery looks like a 3.6V barrel, the new coin cell are 3v but are about 3.1 to 3.2v when new.
A CR2032 is rated at about 220mAH (and nominal .2mA discharge) so with a 15kohm load will only last about 1000 hours/40days according to Maxell CR-2032 load vs time charts.
Your board CMOS probably draws only about .05mA but because the battery already is starting at a -.4v deficit compared to the original 3.6v it dies more quickly than a different board designed and already includes the coin cell holder.
BTW the CR2016 coins are only 1/3 the capacity of a CR2032.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lithium cells are more voltage stabile and the end dropout is fast. I used a CR2032 cell. And they last few years, but I only use used scavanged cells from more modern motherboards. In my line of work i sometimes have access to loads of scrapped P4 motherboards and other stuff. I have always minimized the things I have to buy for my hobby.

Reply 16 of 25, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-01-07, 07:03:

Lithium cells are more voltage stabile and the end dropout is fast. I used a CR2032 cell. And they last few years, but I only use used scavanged cells from more modern motherboards. In my line of work i sometimes have access to loads of scrapped P4 motherboards and other stuff. I have always minimized the things I have to buy for my hobby.

I would be interested in buying some of them, and, what "other stuff"? let me know, no hard feelings if you don't want to bother with this.

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458

Reply 17 of 25, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dusko dude I live in Europe, and you in USA. The shipping fees will be a bitch. It is better to look at local craigslist or something. I have some very exotic stuff even original Voodoos and Gravis Ultrasounds and 486 stuff that I plan to sell, but definitely not in Ebay, and a have not get into Amibay yet. well even in Estonia one crazy guy just bought a 5.25 1.2MB floppy drive from me, but our retro computer fanbase is small, and usually not with deep pockets. And I am not hurting for money, but I have hoard so much that I really do need to sell something.

Reply 18 of 25, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently gave it a try and used a supercap (1.5F, 5.5V) for replacement.

supercap1_5.JPG
Filename
supercap1_5.JPG
File size
293.48 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I left the charging circuit unchanged. The charging takes about 1 hour and it´s enough to store the settings for about 2 weeks.

If it´s an active system that´s in use frequently this would be an elegant solution. You could even use a 3µF supercap (same diameter, double hight) for a longer duration.
There´s no need to replace any coincell again and leakage is not to be expected.
It wont´t be a solution if you intend to store away the mainboard for ages and need it to keep all settings.

Reply 19 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem I have with supercaps is that even if the settings are stored properly, the time is getting off very quickly 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative