VOGONS

First post, by ACSKJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have 3 questions I'm hoping some people with more experience can answer.

For users of ATX power supplies in AT systems:
The ATX to AT converter cables have only 2 leads to the power switch, whereas the old power switches on AT systems have a on/off switch, or push-on push-off button with 4 leads. I want to keep the standard AT button, but I was wondering if, and how I can get it to work with the ATX to AT cables.

Additionally, I'm curious as to how much of a deviation is acceptable in the voltage range of AT power supplies. Some of the power supplies I have might have -8.42v on the -12v lead, or 3.14v on the 5v lead, etc. Where should I draw the line on what is safe/okay for the system? (this is one of the reason I'm considering trying an ATX power supply with the ATX to AT adapter cable)

Lastly, I heard many ATX power supplies don't have -5v leads. Is this a problem? If it's necessary in some situtations, what would those be?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AT power button has four cables that are connected directly to the mains power outlet, so you should be very careful and not touch those when it's connected. The ATX psu is different. Power goes in, and there only a switch to activate it. I guess if you want to use an AT case power switch it's easy. Instead of connecting 4 cables, you only need to connect 2. I think the ATX to AT converter switch may also be designed for 4 cables(at least the one I have), but it has only two connected.

Reply 2 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

>Additionally, I'm curious as to how much of a deviation is acceptable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

"Generally, supply voltages must be within ±5% of their nominal values at all times. The little-used negative supply voltages, however, have a ±10% tolerance. There is a specification for ripple in a 10 Hz–20 MHz bandwidth:"

Generally these power supplies need loads on both 5V and 12V to put out the correct value.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The -5v line is only a problem for a few selected older cards on the isa bus. There's a thread here listing some of the cards that need it here: The Mystery -5V Rail

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 5 of 8, by ACSKJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which converter do you use Markk?

Don't ATX power supplies use momentary switches? Short briefly to turn on, and again to turn off? If you use an AT switch wouldn't that just either close the circuit or open it? If you keep the leads shorted on any of my ATX power supplies it'll turn on the computer, and then just turn it off (and it'll stay off).

@h-a-l-9000: Thanks for the info on tolerances. I guess they are the same for AT systems.

@megatron-uk: Thanks; looks like I will be needing the -5v lead. I'm going to be running a LAPC-I and Sound Blaster Pro...

Reply 6 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ACSKJP wrote:

Don't ATX power supplies use momentary switches? Short briefly to turn on, and again to turn off? If you use an AT switch wouldn't that just either close the circuit or open it? If you keep the leads shorted on any of my ATX power supplies it'll turn on the computer, and then just turn it off (and it'll stay off).

That's correct. Instead of using the motherboard's power switch header, you can instead cut the green PS_ON wire and a black earth wire on your PSU's motherboard connector, and put the AT power switch between them.

If you wanted to use an ATX PSU and board in an AT case you can do this too. You will probably need to put a jumper over the ATX power on header, and set the BIOS to not shut down if the power button is depressed. (By default I believe most boards will shut down if the power button is depressed for 4 seconds).

ACSKJP wrote:

@megatron-uk: Thanks; looks like I will be needing the -5v lead. I'm going to be running a LAPC-I and Sound Blaster Pro...

A Sound Blaster Pro doesn't need it AFAIK. Only Sound Blaster 2.0 (CT1350)
See here for info on different Sound Blaster and SB PRO models.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster#Fi … A_.26_MCA_cards

Reply 7 of 8, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ACSKJP wrote:

Which converter do you use Markk?

Well that's correct, but you are talking about the ATX power switch which is connected to the motherboard, which sends a signal to the PSU to power on. But if you want to force an ATX PSU to power on, you just need to connect the green cable on the ATX connector with a ground(black). So that's what the ATX to AT converter does. And you need a permanent switch, otherwise it's going to turn off the moment you disconnect those cables. Here's a pic of the one I have :
dsc00216ve.jpg

Reply 8 of 8, by ACSKJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, thanks a lot everyone. I'm starting to remember this stuff. I think I used to stick a paperclip in ATX power supplies to start them up without anything else - so that would be doing the same thing as an AT switch. I guess I'll have to either find a stable AT power supply, or an ATX power supply with the -5v leads. Thanks!