VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yello! After all the trouble I went through with the Tualatin 1.4 I decided to stay with what I had, but someone gave me an Athlon XP board and processor for free so I decided to give it a try.
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE (Rev 1.1) with the KT266A chipset and the processor is an Athlon XP 1600+. So, I set up the following system :

Gigabyte GA-7TXE
Athlon XP 1600+
512MB RAM
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Aureal Vortex 2 + DB60XG for MIDI playback
350 Watt PSU
80GB HDD
DVD-ROM
Windows ME

14692590-100x100-cf987736adac889e62ef0c072bf4fb42.jpg

P9290095.jpg

I've only got DDR333 and DDR400 sticks and most of them wouldn't work at first. I tried a 1GB 400 one and it worked, I flashed the latest bios and then the rest of my sticks would work, so I installed 2 sticks of 256MB each. Weird thing is, on both cases, POST reports more RAM than it should. So that is 1048MB for 1GB and 524 for 512MB! While I was installing WinME I got a Windows Protection Error blue screen, but I managed to install it afterwards. I installed all the necessary drivers, including the Via 4in1 4.33 Service Pack. The system however is quite unstable. It just restarts whenever it feels like it, while listening to music or doing nothing at all. 3D is almost out of the question, 3DMark 99MAX crashed twice and only managed to finish once. Quake 3 works for a while and then drops me to the desktop or crashes and I see the mouse pointer.
I tried different sticks of RAM, they all work at 266MHz obviously, but could that really be the problem? Maybe some incompatibility with one of the cards I installed? I also noticed some "strained" capacitors, those could very well be the problem, can I fix them/replace them somehow?

P9290102.jpgP9290105.jpgP9290108.jpgP9290109.jpgP9290111.jpgP9290112.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

524288kbytes / 1024kbytes = 512mbytes .... the amount of memory detected is correct.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Megatron-uk is correct. And I'd definitely replace those caps - they are the most likely culprit.

They are pretty easy to replace. Look online for some tutorials for replacing caps if you haven't done it before. I've done it on several boards without issue.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, I see the bulging caps also

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the feedback guys. Could you share a good guide for replacing capacitors?

On a second note, I just set the FSB to 100MHz, meaning that the CPU is running at 1050MHz instead of 1400, RAM is still 266MHz. I played about 40 minutes of Quake III and it was rock stable, perhaps I'll just keep it like that and if a problem arises, I'll replace the caps.

Reply 6 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's now probably not drawing quite as much current, so that is why the caps don't appear to be an issue - they're likely to get worse or just completely fail at some point though.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, that's probably the case. When that happens I'll probably change them or switch back to my Pentium 3. I don't have a lot of time or space to spare at the moment, so this is a temporary solution 😉

Reply 8 of 10, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get those caps replaced before it has a chance to damage the board. I've had similar issues with bad caps for ages! I still have a bunch of boards to fix with them as a matter of fact.

Sucks to hear you gave up on the Tually!

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 9 of 10, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a couple of guides from google.

http://www.capacitorlab.com/replacing-motherb … howto/index.htm
http://www.rjl.com.au/marketplace/Articles_show.asp?a=26

One thing they neglect to mention is that you don't need exactly the right caps to replace the old ones. I had a board with 1800uF 16V caps, unfortunately I couldn't find any of them locally. Instead I replaced them with 2200uF 20V and the board have been running for years since without issue.

It's good to get as close as you can to the original values but its generally OK to exceed the capacitance, temperature and voltage values slightly, (never go lower though).

You should try to stick to the same type though (the ones on your board are electrolytic so replace them with the same type).

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.