VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been trying different cards in 2 Pentium systems. One is a P120 and the other is a Pentium 233MMX. The Pentium 120 came with a ATi Mach 64 and the 233MMX came with a Virge GX and they both work fine. I have tried putting Rage 128 and Voodoo 3 cards in them and all I get is 1 long beep, 3 short beeps which is video card error but these cards work in newer systems. I'm guessing the motherboards can't handle video cards that much newer, but what is the cutoff point for these systems? They are both OEM systems so I don't have a model number for the motherboards that I can use as a guide. I would have thought that Rage 128 and V3 would have worked fine at least in the 233MMX.

Reply 2 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a weird one. Something to do with the AGP bus perhaps? If the cards are AGP of course...
I ran a GeForce 2 MX on a Super 7 board and it ran fine. Perhaps you'd like to check the beeps again, what you described is a memory error.

Reply 3 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope. They're PCI. Rebooting with empty slots then rebooting again with slots filled seems to have worked. I've downgraded my expectations of these machines by using a Voodoo Rush in one and the original Voodoo Graphics in the other. They probably won't run a Rage 128 or V3 at anywhere near max speed anyway so they would be wasted when they could go into systems that can max them out.

Reply 5 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vlask wrote:

I've run Voodoo 3 2000 PCI on 486, so this must be compatibility problem.

You did? With Windows 95 and all? AFAIK Voodoo 3 drivers demanded some Pentium code and would crash on a 486.

Reply 6 of 9, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:
vlask wrote:

I've run Voodoo 3 2000 PCI on 486, so this must be compatibility problem.

You did? With Windows 95 and all? AFAIK Voodoo 3 drivers demanded some Pentium code and would crash on a 486.

Ofc i did only in dos, just needed compare vlbus cards vs some PCI hightech on 486. No reason to use voodoo on 486, but it should at last post - he didnt get boot.

Results are here...
Fastest PCI graphics card in a 486

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 7 of 9, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

... I've downgraded my expectations of these machines by using a Voodoo Rush in one and the original Voodoo Graphics in the other. They probably won't run a Rage 128 or V3 at anywhere near max speed anyway so they would be wasted when they could go into systems that can max them out.

Sure they can run those cards. Perhaps you have bad cards. Have you tried to clean the pci contacts on the cards with a rubber? Sometimes it's all that's needed for stuff to work.

Reply 8 of 9, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He says they work on newer systems.

Makes me wonder if the motherboard just doesn't have the juice to supply to the cards. Have you tried booting the computer with only the pci videocard in and nothing else in the other pci slots? I know a VSA-100 (single voodoo 4/5 chip) takes about 15watts which probably isn't too far off what a voodoo 3 would draw in my guess.

You can also try another PSU make sure that isn't the issue. Weak supplies have cause me grief in the past.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 9 of 9, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

He says they work on newer systems.

My bad. 😦

sliderider wrote:

I've been trying different cards in 2 Pentium systems.

What motherboards are you using?