VOGONS

First post, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have a system with an ATI Rage 128 AGP 2x 16mb, and was wondering if adding a 3D accelerator card (such as this) would make any difference in 3D games? Would the two work together, or would the accelerator take over completely? Most of the 3D games I run on this system run okay but there is one game that has problems. I know I touched on this a few months back, but I was talking about a completely different system (one without an AGP card). The manual for this system does mention an ELSA Victory Erazor.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Adding a Voodoo2 is always a nice thing to do, but you must know that it is not a more powerful card than your Rage 128. It's just more compatible (that alone will help a lot with old games). And no, they won't work together. Only Voodoo2 SLI, Nvidia SLI and ATI crossfire allow two cards to work together. By the way, what's the game that has problems?

Reply 2 of 6, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

By the way, what's the game that has problems?

Dungeon Keeper Direct3D. I don't think I've ever been able to run that without some graphical problem (such as lines or things disappearing). It does run somewhat better on the Rage 128 than it did an a 3D Rage Pro though.

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EVERYTHING is faster than the Rage Pro.

There's still a benefit from adding a Voodoo2, such as the hand-optimized drivers

at least the Voodoo2 is recognized as a secondary device and doesn't have to explicitly take over the primary. You'll be given a choice where applicable in D3D HAL configuration screens or so.

Don't forget the pass-through cable (the short VGA cable) or you can't use the card.

A voodoo2 wouldn't work DK2 better. Here's something - Rage128 can do 32bit color. Voodoo2 can not. 3dfx marketed on performance.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Don't forget the pass-through cable (the short VGA cable) or you can't use the card.

Actually you can. Also a normal extension cord (the long VGA cable) might be easier to get 😉

Reply 6 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:
leileilol wrote:

EVERYTHING is faster than the Rage Pro.

Im on the Virge of saying something about that.

i am sure there are a few other cards slower than rage pro:
rendition1000/2200, sis6326, permedia2
s3virge never counted as a 3d card to my standard. 😒