VOGONS

3D accelerated games list (non 3dfx/D3D/OGL)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 62, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I know, and that tool works on the other games, but it is a DOS tool. Destruction Derby for the S3 is Windows 95, and whatever I try to do on my S3 Virge DX card I get a "Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 not detected" error. Seems to be some kind of BIOS check. Hopefully I'll get one soon.

Oh, I see. I never got that version, so I always thought it was a DOS port like the normal game. Thanks for the information.
Looking forward for the video.

Reply 41 of 62, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
unmei220 wrote:
vetz wrote:

Flight Unlimited had CGL support atleast. Destruction Derby 1 had an OEM release for the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000, and it requires that card to even start (video will come when I get my Diamond S3 card). Destruction Derby 2 was only accelerated on the Matrox Mystique.

You can run older games designed for the original Virge on newer Virge cards (VX/DX/GX) by running them using the S3D PATCH Programm made by ELSA for the ELSA VICTORY 3DX card.

I know, and that tool works on the other games, but it is a DOS tool. Destruction Derby for the S3 is Windows 95, and whatever I try to do on my S3 Virge DX card I get a "Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 not detected" error. Seems to be some kind of BIOS check. Hopefully I'll get one soon.

It checks for the card in the device manager. Even if you have that card and use generic S3 drivers, it'll show this message. Only Diamond drivers will work.

Reply 42 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote:

It checks for the card in the device manager. Even if you have that card and use generic S3 drivers, it'll show this message. Only Diamond drivers will work.

Nice info, will try and see if my card can run on the Diamond drivers. It is worth a shot.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 43 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Diamond drivers did infact work. Windows is as normal with the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 drivers.

Now I do not get the "No Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 detected" error, but a Incorrect CD in drive. Which I find very strange since I have the original CD. Something obvious I could be missing?

Reply 44 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

* Daytona USA (SEGA) (Need to verify)

Found this in the readme from the retail version:

You need an nV compatible board if you want to use the Saturn Control Pad or Saturn Racing Controller. If you don't have an nV compatible board, you can use your keyboard or a PC pad to play the game.

So it has some support, just not accelerated.

Reply 46 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

vetz: maybe it expects the disc to be in drive d:

I created a new thread instead of completely derailing this one on that topic 😀

Re: Destruction Derby for the Diamond Stealth 3D 2000

Yes, I do have it in D:

Reply 47 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
Found this in the readme from the retail version: […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:

You need an nV compatible board if you want to use the Saturn Control Pad or Saturn Racing Controller. If you don't have an nV compatible board, you can use your keyboard or a PC pad to play the game.

This makes no sense to me. If it's using the controller, then it's using NV1's NVLIB, so it must have accelerated 3D through NV1. Or at least that's my logic.

Can you test?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 48 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can try, but looking at the files there are no DLL's or any other thing telling that would indicate support on the NV1 graphically, so don't get your hopes up. Virtua Cop got a separate installer for instance.

Reply 49 of 62, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Did some research on each of these games. I think this list can be substantially cut down. […]
Show full quote
robertmo wrote:
Diamond Edge 3D (NV1): […]
Show full quote

Diamond Edge 3D (NV1):

3D Baseball
Absolute Zero
Daytona USA
Destruction Derby
Mixman - Spin Control
NASCAR Racing
Panzer Dragoon
US Navy Fighters
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter Remix

Did some research on each of these games. I think this list can be substantially cut down.

Confirmed list:
Battle Arena Toshinden - Confirmed. Retail release support. Screenshot: [ 1 ]
NASCAR Racing - Confirmed. Bundled with Diamond Edge 3D. Youtube video: [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
Panzer Dragoon - Confirmed. Bundled with Diamond Edge 3D. Youtube video: [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
Virtua Cop - Confirmed. Retail release support. Youtube video: [ Comparison NV1/Software ]
Virtua Fighter Remix - Confirmed. Bundled with Diamond Edge 3D. Youtube video: [ 1 ] [ 2 ]

The cutbacks:
3D Baseball - Game never released for Windows. PSX and Saturn only. Crystal Dynamics did mention this game in a Nvidia press release 12th of November 1995. Apparently this never materialized.

Absolute Zero - Again a game that was mentioned in the press release. I have searched through the retail CD and readme, with no mention of NV1 support. Internet also says nothing about NV1 support for this game beside in the press report. To put the final nail in the coffin, this game is not mentioned on Nvidias official NV1 site (archived).

Daytona USA - Listed on Nvidias NV1 site as a OEM / forthcoming title, but so is the Mechwarrior II version which never came out (see below for more details). Retail release do not have any mention of NV1 support. One person over at Assembler games mention this game running on the NV1, but he also speaks about Virtua Fighter 2 (which has to be VF: Remix). An explanation is that he could've mixed up Nascar Racing and Daytona USA.Also it is not bundled with the Diamond Edge 3D 3400, so either it came with the 2x00 versions, or early 3x00, or another OEM product which I have to ask you guys about? I can not confirm NV1 release, but I can't disregard it either, but chances are slim.

Destruction Derby - Diamond got a exclusive agreementwith the developer of this game Psygnosis to make ports for both the Diamond Stealth 2000 (S3 Virge) and Diamond Edge 3D. No information found if this version for the NV1 ever came out, but the S3 Virge version did. My guess is that Diamond cancelled the NV1 version when they figured out that the NV1 had no future.

Mixman - Spin Control - This is not a game, but a music program. Very hard to find any information. Is mentioned at the Nvidia NV1 site as a released title.

US Navy Fighters - Mentioned in the Nvidia press release as a game with upcoming support. I have checked the released CD and readme with no mention of NV1 support. Internet also has nothing on support. My guess is that the port was cancelled by EA.

Other possible games:
From this source I found this:

...already announced Tomcat Alley, Ecco the Dolphin, and Comix Zone. These titles will all be uniquely enhanced for the NV1 accelerator chip...

This caught my attention as those games are visible in the Diamond Edge 3D 3400 bundle on Assembler games forum. I know this user is also here on Vogons, maybe he can confirm whether these games really are accelerated or not?

Mechwarrior II NV1 version:
This version got cancelled during production. A very interesting interview with a programmer at Activision explains what happened.

what happened to the findarticles.com links? they redirect me to a site called "search.com" 🙁

Reply 50 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure (some of these are still in Google's cache) but these links will also work:
Destruction Derby press release: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Diamond+Multime … o...-a018289148

Nvidia/Crystal Dynamics 3D Baseball press release: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/NVIDIA+NV1+Wind … f...-a017622254

Stiletto

Reply 51 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can add Battlerace to the 3D Blaster VLB list as well. Also Time Warriors have S3 Virge support in retail release.

See screenshots.

Attachments

• 20120726012545.jpg
    Filename
    20120726012545.jpg
    File size
    81.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Time Warriors
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20120726013239.jpg
    Filename
    20120726013239.jpg
    File size
    80.28 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Battlerace
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 52 of 62, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't Time Warriors Direct3D?

Remember, there's some Direct3D games out there that have choices of chipsets for setting compatibility flags and defaults to suit them, rather than native support. Resident Evil is one such example, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (while D3D is chosen) is another.

Investigate! Use dependency walker and find links to d3drm/d3dim, s3dk and other vendor-specific dlls.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 55 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

Hey leileilol, you know this better than I do. I'm working on a unified database of non-3dfx/D3D/OGL (currently just an Excel spreadsheet) and I'm a bit mystified as to whether I should include:
- GoldSrc engine games
- idtech1 engine games
- idtech2 engine games
- idtech3 engine games
- Unreal engine games

Between miniGLs and GlideDrv.dll/SGLDrv.dll's and so on, I'm a little confused as to how to list these games. I mean, I could conceivably list every idtech1/2/3 game if configured with the correct miniGL, but as you know this doesn't necessarily work.

Thoughts?

Stiletto

Reply 56 of 62, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Every idtech1/2/3 game was only accellerated by OpenGL, and vendor-specific support came in the form of MiniGL drivers included with idTech2 games (i.e. PowerVR OpenGL, 3dfx OpenGL options in Quake2). In idTech1's case, i'm thinking you're referring to GLQuake and derivatives, in which often just a 3dfx MiniGL was included and every other minigl was seperately obtained. idTech3 didn't come with any MiniGLs (instead goes directly to the system's opengl32.dll or 3dfxvgl.dll), the only cases it did were RTCW and MOHAA (which was a bad idea since it broke Voodoo3 support out of the box!)

GoldSrc is also OpenGL and can use MiniGL drivers (provided as an option combobox in which the only option is 3dfx), though it supports Direct3D as well, but that's targeted for the higher end hardware, like TNT and Savage4.

Not all Unreal engine games ship with native API support. Some of the later ones strip it down to just Direct3D, like Mobile Forces. Also some later ones like Undying, Unreal Gold and DS9 The Fallen strip out SGLDrv.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 57 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Every idtech1/2/3 game was only accellerated by OpenGL, and vendor-specific support came in the form of MiniGL drivers included with idTech2 games (i.e. PowerVR OpenGL, 3dfx OpenGL options in Quake2). In idTech1's case, i'm thinking you're referring to GLQuake and derivatives, in which often just a 3dfx MiniGL was included and every other minigl was seperately obtained. idTech3 didn't come with any MiniGLs (instead goes directly to the system's opengl32.dll or 3dfxvgl.dll), the only cases it did were RTCW and MOHAA (which was a bad idea since it broke Voodoo3 support out of the box!)

GoldSrc is also OpenGL and can use MiniGL drivers (provided as an option combobox in which the only option is 3dfx), though it supports Direct3D as well, but that's targeted for the higher end hardware, like TNT and Savage4.

So ... should idtech1/idtech2/GoldSrc games be added to my list then, if they're technically OpenGL/miniGL? 😀 How do you think I should list them? I really do want to know...

\

leileilol wrote:

Not all Unreal engine games ship with native API support. Some of the later ones strip it down to just Direct3D, like Mobile Forces. Also some later ones like Undying, Unreal Gold and DS9 The Fallen strip out SGLDrv.

So some of these should definitely be listed, okay. Are there any complete lists of which Unreal engine games support what native APIs out there?

Stiletto

Reply 58 of 62, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
vetz wrote:
Found this in the readme from the retail version: […]
Show full quote
Stiletto wrote:

This makes no sense to me. If it's using the controller, then it's using NV1's NVLIB, so it must have accelerated 3D through NV1. Or at least that's my logic.

Can you test?

Just received my Saturn controller and I can't get it working with Daytona USA, even though it states support in the readme file (it works with the other NV1 games). Someone else are welcome to try. Definitively not accelerated.

Reply 59 of 62, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Just received my Saturn controller and I can't get it working with Daytona USA, even though it states support in the readme file (it works with the other NV1 games). Someone else are welcome to try. Definitively not accelerated.

Okay, thanks.

Stiletto