VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok this is strange.
I got a CUBX motherboard that came with a 533 Celeron. Everything works.
I ordered a "new" CPU - a P3/850. It does NOTHING with the P3 in place - not even any beeps from the speaker.
This is where it gets strange. I put in a 633 celeron that I had. It is detecting it as a 5.5 X multiplier and running it on a 100-MHx bus.
I *think* I know what is going on here - it is having a hard time with the high multiplier. The manual settings on he board only go up to 8.0 and of course Intel chips are locked.
Could the multiplier be keeping the P3/850 from working??? Or is it more likely the chip is bad???

Reply 1 of 13, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the board is an earlier S370 model from 1999 or early 2000, it's possible.

Do you have any other boards on which to test the 850mhz chip? I haven't seen many 370 boards that have a manual clock speed setting.

Your BIOS might also be culprit by not supporting the newer chip.

Reply 2 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you running the latest BIOS? That's the first thing I'd try. You can get it here http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLangua … &m=CUBX&p=1&s=4

In fact, on that page:

CUBX BIOS 1006
Update option ROM of CUBX onboard CMD chip.
Support 566MHz and 850MHz CPU with clock ratio equal or greater than 8.5x.

Reply 4 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think any number of new CPU's will help you if the board's BIOS doesn't support them in the first place.

I've flashed more BIOSes than I can count and I've never had a bricked board... how are you doing the flashing?
All you need is the BIOS file and the flash util on a bootable floppy.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if you click the 'CPU Support' tab in that link I posted it tells you that officially the fastest CPU supported without upgrading to at least version 1007 BIOS is a Celeron 533.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 13, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow - I will have to look at that. I didn't realize how dated this board is. Since the CPUs are multiplier-locked I didn't think the board would make that much difference

Thanks for the input

Reply 9 of 13, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have a cubx also and i put an coppermine-1.13g on, it boot well and ran on 850mhz with nothing wrong. i set it at 100mhz fsb cause bx doesn't officially support 133fsb and i don't want to bother with potential troubles.

Reply 10 of 13, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Every time I gave ever tried to flash a BIOS is has ended in disaster - seriously.
I was thinking about ordering a replacement chip from this place:
http://www.biosman.com/replacement.htm
Has anyone every had any dealings with them? Do they look legitimate?