VOGONS

First post, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone.

Is it possible to use a 10GB (or maybe 20GB) hard disk in DOS?

Maybe by having it partitioned as 2GB partitions, because that's the limit of MS-DOS 6.22?

Last edited by rug on 2011-10-08, 10:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 2 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I use the dos files from win98SE that have native FAT32 support , might worth looking at that possibility ...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

using the one fron win98SE , haven't noticed anything...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:

yeah using hard drive with fat16 is a pain in the ass.

I don't see the point here for DOS. Using FAT16 you can get 8 GB without setting up an exotic configuration and have the opportunity to use a full fledged DOS < 7.10.
Also all programs requiring FAT16 run fine.
So what scenario is this, where you require more than 8 GB (per HDD) locally for DOS?

If you run a BBS you should consider setting up a network share for data storage.

Reply 6 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes. I've been using 40GB, 80GB, 120GB disks with the first few partitions saved for MS-DOS 6.22. (Max 8GB available for FAT16 but each partition can not exceed 2GB).

I use FAT16, for nostalgic purposes, and since I still have my MS-DOS 6.22 disks working, and even have backups of it on CDs.

And also when I use FAT16, I avoid getting mixed up with my Win95c's FAT32 partitions (since FAT16 can't "see" FAT32 - thinks it's a Non-DOS partition), especially when using utilities like Defrag, Diskfix, etc. Dos defrag corrupts Windows 9x files and icons.

Using FreeDOS can make use of all the hard drive space though, since it comes with full FAT32 support.

Win98's DOS is another alternative to make use of the whole HDD space via FAT32.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 7 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you can't have 8GB partition in DOS , as Malik said you are limited to 2GB per partition.
Also no apps except defraggers/repair/format have probs with FAT32. And you get those with a FAT32 capable DOS, so no probs there.
The only "problem" I saw is that old apps report free hdd size up to 2GB. So if you have 8gb free all they report is 2GB. If you go lower than 2GB free space then they report it OK.
Been using win98SE DOS for ~2 years now, nevere encountered a game that did not work because of FAT

Reply 9 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

So what scenario is this, where you require more than 8 GB (per HDD) locally for DOS?

CD images for use with SHSUCDHD, of course.

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

4GB per partition. Use xfdisk.

You mean FAT16 with 64kb clusters? Even though it's still FAT16, I'm pretty sure only NT 4.0 could access those.

I'm not sure what FreeDOS uses, but later versions of DR-DOS come with a FAT32 driver (drfat32) that also works with MS-DOS 6.x, if I'm not mistaken, though it still won't let you boot MS-DOS from a FAT32 drive.

Reply 10 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Yeah you can't have 8GB partition in DOS , as Malik said you are limited to 2GB per partition.

I never wrote this. I wrote 8 GB per HDD which means 4x 2 GB partition.

Reply 12 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:
I don't see the point here for DOS. Using FAT16 you can get 8 GB without setting up an exotic configuration and have the opportu […]
Show full quote
noshutdown wrote:

yeah using hard drive with fat16 is a pain in the ass.

I don't see the point here for DOS. Using FAT16 you can get 8 GB without setting up an exotic configuration and have the opportunity to use a full fledged DOS < 7.10.
Also all programs requiring FAT16 run fine.

If you run a BBS you should consider setting up a network share for data storage.

I don't want to use Win9x, just plain DOS.

I've got a lot of games on floppies and CD's, so with a big HD, I needn't delete games for space. 😉

So I suppose that by using xfdisk, I can have four 4GB partition, at maximum?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 13 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

4GB per partition. Use xfdisk.

Can I have four 4GB partitions in plain DOS 6.22?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.