VOGONS

First post, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...or AGP for that matter. So, um, I'm pretty much at wit's end here. 😵 I'm trying to put together a retro build to play Glide games upon. The motherboard is an ASUS A7V266-E, but I know the motherboard is fine, because I took the rig to a local PC shop where they were able to get it to power up with a GeForce FX PCI card. Now I have it back at home and plugged in a Voodoo5 PCI and I cannot get it to POST. Lights turn on, all the fans spin up, but that's it. The card is absolutely brand new. I have the 4-pin power cable plugged into the Voodoo, the fans spin up fine, there's just no display and no beeps. I've tried two different PCI slots so far, still no dice. One thing I was wondering is whether the graphics card might be incompatible with LCD displays, I haven't been able to find any info on the topic. But this is driving me crazy. I'd try another card, but I don't have another PCI card with me.

Anyone have advice to offer? 🙁

Reply 2 of 15, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't have another one with me. The board has an AGP Pro slot, it's not keyed for 1.5, I'd read that other people were able to use Voodoo5 with it, after going into the BIOS and changing the AGP mode to 1x. It was also the only VIA kt266-a board I could find new, I already tried two dead motherboards before this one, so I wanted to be sure.

The weird thing, though, is that the GeForce card worked absolutely fine at the shop I took the PC to. I guess I'll have to pick up another PCI graphics card somewhere and try it out.

Reply 4 of 15, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try that, but it doesn't make sense to me, because the motherboard was sealed in the antistatic bag, brand new in the box, and was only taken out and put into the case three days ago. There's an ATI Mach64 2MB PCI card on eBay that I can pick up locally to save myself $$ and time, would such an old card work on this mobo, just to get it started up? 😒 I wish ASUS had put onboard graphics on this thing.

Reply 6 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you didn't place it correctly on the case and the cards don't go all the way down.
Try running the motherboard outside of the case and inserting the card all the way down the slot or maybe a little bit less down.

Reply 7 of 15, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh no. Not that. Blank Screen.

I had a crazy computer (tower). It worked only in horizontal. 😐
I´ve seen computers turning on only after pushing the power button twice.
I sometimes recur to clear CMOS. It´s annoying.

There is a device to test capacitors. Think, like, it could be useful to me.

All these problems of course applies for old components. I tend to agree with loose card. Try another Molex and press it firmly too.

The board has an AGP Pro slot, it's not keyed for 1.5

Regarding your Voodoo 5 AGP, Asus A7V266-E manual says the slot is keyed to support only 1.5v. Voodoo 5 AGP supports 3.3v.
I think safety and always use universal AGP for V5.
However there are a lot of people saying the chipset SiS 645 and KT266A are compatible with AGP 1.0.
I´ll take what is in the book this time.

... One thing I was wondering is whether the graphics card might be incompatible with LCD displays

Its compatible with widescreen resolutions and works great.

I dont know, but sometimes i have to push Source button in my Samsung 2232BW panel to get analog signal. It usually happens when alternating between DVI for LCD and VGA outputs. Strange (It's supposed to be an automatic process).

Reply 8 of 15, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Frasco wrote:
Oh no. Not that. Blank Screen. […]
Show full quote

Oh no. Not that. Blank Screen.

I had a crazy computer (tower). It worked only in horizontal. 😐
I´ve seen computers turning on only after pushing the power button twice.
I sometimes recur to clear CMOS. It´s annoying.

There is a device to test capacitors. Think, like, it could be useful to me.

All these problems of course applies for old components. I tend to agree with loose card. Try another Molex and press it firmly too.

The board has an AGP Pro slot, it's not keyed for 1.5

Regarding your Voodoo 5 AGP, Asus A7V266-E manual says the slot is keyed to support only 1.5v. Voodoo 5 AGP supports 3.3v.
I think safety and always use universal AGP for V5.
However there are a lot of people saying the chipset SiS 645 and KT266A are compatible with AGP 1.0.
I´ll take what is in the book this time.

... One thing I was wondering is whether the graphics card might be incompatible with LCD displays

Its compatible with widescreen resolutions and works great.

I dont know, but sometimes i have to push Source button in my Samsung 2232BW panel to get analog signal. It usually happens when alternating between DVI for LCD and VGA outputs. Strange (It's supposed to be an automatic process).

I know the ASUS Kt266 and 333 boards say they only support 1.5, but the chipset definitely supports 1x and 2x modes; almost all the other boards have universal AGP slots. The slot isn't keyed, I saw that in the manual too, which puzzled the hell out of me. I only bought this maybe-compatible board because it was the only one I could find boxed and brand new, I had previously tried an MSI board and a Gigabyte board that were dead.

I just picked up a cheapo $15 Diablotek ATI Rage PCI card that I'll try out, thanks for all the advice, hopefully it works. I also tried three different molex connectors by the way via the y-connector provided with the Voodoo5, maybe I'll try it without their cord.

But yeah, this has been, um, rather a nightmare. 😵 The guy at the shop got it to power up with a 256mb GeForce FX, as mentioned, so the_thing_should_work, no? I am so regretting not just biting the bullet and buying the card so at least I'd have something that showed actual stuff on the screen and then taking it from there.

Reply 9 of 15, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

....The Rage isn't working either, and it doesn't even need a power connector. Disconnected everything and cleared CMOS, still got nothing. If only I had another working desktop I could test cards out on. Lord, why have you forsaken me?

I took out the RAM and after about five seconds the mobo started beeping repeatedly, which I assume indicates that it still lives. I removed the CMOS battery, I'm praying that it could be the culprit.

EDIT: **** YES!!!! POSTAGE AND ALL THAT JAZZ! With the Rage 128 PCI card. I removed the CMOS battery and left it out for about 45 mins, and lo and behold, I had Stuff on the screen. Thank you all. You are beautiful people. Now Phase Two, in which Doris gets her oats (Beatles reference, in the interest of full disclosure i'm a bit of a latter-day flower child), and in which I to try and get the 3dfx card working. 😦 I just went into the BIOS (lord, does it feel good to say that) and switched the AGP mode to 1x. My next question: Is it okay to leave the Rage 128 plugged in along with the V5, but plug the VGA cable into the Voodoo5 in the AGP slot, or will it cause me problems?

Reply 10 of 15, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem about installing these two video cards in the same computer.
Choose AGP slot as primary slot.
If it cant be done or your PSU do not have enough overall power, i'll take no responsability. I will deny any participation or even knowledge of your existance. 😎

Just kiddind. Both cards are not that hungry. You can do it. 😁

About V5 AGP + AGP PRO, i tell you what: do a search trying to find somebody complaining about it (i didn´t see anything so far).

I wish you good luck and happy glide games.

One more thing. Empty battery is no problem as motherboard send you a message about that. Maybe your RAM stick was loose.

Reply 11 of 15, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! It worked, with AGP set to 1x mode as the primary video BIOS. I've wanted a Voodoo5 AGP system for, um, about 8 years now. Thank you people very much for your advice. Now to get Windows set up, and after that, SB Live card and 3 and 5.25" floppy drives and I am set. Except for I also have a possibly-functioning Am386DX-40 system which might eventually be running, for example, Red Baron and King's Quest VI... But now it's time for bed.

Reply 13 of 15, by .fantasista.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one more question for you esteemed personages. I need to update the BIOS for the board to fully support my CPU. When I do so, will the AGP settings probably go back to default, and I'll have to boot with the Rage board?

Reply 14 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

perhaps. make sure you keep the old bios around for the slim case that they changed stuff around.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper