VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone offer something on this?
How hard is flashing a BIOS? I am contemplating flashing a BIOS on a CUBX board.
And yet every time I have ever tried it has ended in failure. The last time it told me it was the wrong BIOS (even though I was sure it was) and stupid me flashed it anyway. Result: non-usable board.

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As long as you follow instructions all should be fine. When it tells you it's the wrong bios ONLY flash anyway if you know 100% it's the right bios (for example if people in a board say that they used this bios successfully even though it's not the right one).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, flashing a BIOS is not hard. Not hard at all. In fact, it's SO EASY to SCREW UP the motherboard by flashing the BIOS. 😁

From what I know :

1. ROM chips are formatted with varying sizes - 128K, 256K, 512k, etc. and some with different block assignments.

2. Use Uniflash (file attached below) for flashing - more versatile, very "hot-flashing" friendly. (It's the only one I use irrespective of motherboard types and bios.)

Although Uniflash is versatile, it is also intelligent enough to prevent any "blind" flashing - meaning roms of different size being installed in a different sized rom chip configuration.

(But it still doesn't check if the bios being flashed is compatible with the motherboard on which it is being flashed.)

Recently, I got a rare board (at least that's what I think) - a DFI LanParty 875PT chipset board.

I think it's rare since it uses intel's i875 chipset and at the same time, uses AGP8X slot, not PCI-E. Just right for my Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP8X.

Problem was, it arrived DOA despite the seller's claim at ebay, as "100% Fully Working" board!!

This board uses the newer PLCC Bios - which is almost square in shape, and are present in newer boards.

6225417190_51b91e92d8_o.jpg

I used Uniflash to check the bios - I booted up another board using the same PLCC bios slot (Another DFI based Socket 7 board). I removed it's bios and installed the 875PT's bios while the former board was still running and using Uniflash's refresh feature (re-detect BIOS ROM)... and good enough - it showed that the BIOS chip is bad - Uniflash unable to read the BIOS information from this chip.

I then got another chip from an old AMD board, which is using the same PLCC type bios chip, hot-flashed the 875PT motherboard using the bios downloaded from DFI website, and the board came alive. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    uf140.zip
    File size
    73.44 KiB
    Downloads
    238 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 11, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank for the feedback guys
I have GOOD news ands BAD news

Good news:
I flashed the BIOS
It didn't crash the computer
It's now recognizing higher-multipliers properly

Bas news:
It STILL doesn't work with that P3/850 I got

At this point I think that CPU is bad. Which is what I was suspecting all along - even if it didn't recognize the higher multiplier, I would think it would at least have booted

Reply 5 of 11, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Actually, flashing a BIOS is not hard. Not hard at all. In fact, it's SO EASY to SCREW UP the motherboard by flashing the BIOS. […]
Show full quote

Actually, flashing a BIOS is not hard. Not hard at all. In fact, it's SO EASY to SCREW UP the motherboard by flashing the BIOS. 😁

From what I know :

1. ROM chips are formatted with varying sizes - 128K, 256K, 512k, etc. and some with different block assignments.

2. Use Uniflash (file attached below) for flashing - more versatile, very "hot-flashing" friendly. (It's the only one I use irrespective of motherboard types and bios.)

Although Uniflash is versatile, it is also intelligent enough to prevent any "blind" flashing - meaning roms of different size being installed in a different sized rom chip configuration.

(But it still doesn't check if the bios being flashed is compatible with the motherboard on which it is being flashed.)

Recently, I got a rare board (at least that's what I think) - a DFI LanParty 875PT chipset board.

I think it's rare since it uses intel's i875 chipset and at the same time, uses AGP8X slot, not PCI-E. Just right for my Geforce 6800 Ultra AGP8X.

Problem was, it arrived DOA despite the seller's claim at ebay, as "100% Fully Working" board!!

This board uses the newer PLCC Bios - which is almost square in shape, and are present in newer boards.

I used Uniflash to check the bios - I booted up another board using the same PLCC bios slot (Another DFI based Socket 7 board). I removed it's bios and installed the 875PT's bios while the former board was still running and using Uniflash's refresh feature (re-detect BIOS ROM)... and good enough - it showed that the BIOS chip is bad - Uniflash unable to read the BIOS information from this chip.

I then got another chip from an old AMD board, which is using the same PLCC type bios chip, hot-flashed the 875PT motherboard using the bios downloaded from DFI website, and the board came alive. 😀

haha... you reminded me of me killing my Azza Tomato board back in 1998... 3 months before super 7 came out.... I hated the shitty AMI WinBIOS for the lack of customization/tweaking options... I found a BIOS "update" for the board but it didn't work... it bricked the board! So now I still have a perfectly good Triton I motherboard with a dead BIOS... I don't care because it's shitty, I replaced it with my Shuttle 569, which is leaps and bounds better... still using it with my K6-3 450 😁 I was too pissed to ever get a Super 7 board because I spent so much money getting the 569 only 3 months before the first Super 7s came out

Reply 6 of 11, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
Actually, flashing a BIOS is not hard. Not hard at all. In fact, it's SO EASY to SCREW UP the motherboard by flashing the BIOS. […]
Show full quote

From what I know :

🤣 you've got yourself a lot of unnecessary trouble cause the 875 chipset is born with native agp support, and intel only started pcie support since 915, so the board is actually nothing special. but yes, i love dfi boards cause they have good style, its a pity that they have left the PC mainboard market after their x58/p55 boards.
if you are looking for a fastest agp platform for your card, it would be an asrock(another brand owned by asus) pt880 board which supports up to 45nm core2duo cpus.
and the second choice is the more common nforce3+socket939, which is a lot easier to find. the nf3 chipset has some compatibility problems(even worse than via ones), but agp performance is better than via and the whole platform smokes any pentium4.

Reply 9 of 11, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had nforce2 board Abit NF7-S and I must say that is one hell of a board! One of the best I ever owned. The sound that nforce2 chipset offers is way better then Live!, and its 5.1 surround is plain awesome. I loved that board. But there was indeed problem with SATA RAID - which was fixed with the new BIOS release. No other bugs nor stability issues, perfect MoBo.

Maybe nforce1 or 3 were buggy, but NF2 was definitely not 😀

Reply 11 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I ran an NF7 (non-S) as my main machine for a few years and never had dramas. It was certainly much more reliable than the Asus A7V333 I upgraded from. Never tried the Nforce 1 or 3 though so I can't comment on those.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.