Reply 260 of 502, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Nemo1985 wrote:
meljor wrote:

Check again on the working board is not an option?

Nope unlucky, because I sold it 😢

Maybe use a normal k6-2 or mmx and disable L2 in bios. Then check if it will boot with the Tillamook.

I did this test already but without results :\

Reply 261 of 502, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pulled a CPU out of dead laptop, with a sticker on it that said 233. It had a pin that was knocked flat which I managed to straighten. At first I thought it was a normal Pentium MMX, and dropped it in a PCChips M573. Then I ran hwinfo and saw that it was a MOBILE Pentium MMX, with stepping myA0.

The BIOS on the M573 does not recognize the CPU, it simply says "MMX" but it booted with working L2 (512KB pipeline burst) and ran some DOS programs (did not have any Windows install). The voltage on this board can go lower than 2.8V so I dialed back to 2.5V and then tried a bit of overclocking. It booted at 83*3.5 which is the fastest available setting on this board (without mods).

BTW, the M573 also boots with a K6-3, identified by the BIOS as a K6.

BastlerMike wrote:

I tested my 300 MHz Tillamook on Powerleap PL-MMX Pro Voltage adapter on a TMC PAT54PV Socket 5 VLB board and it just works.
The FSB can be configured for 80 MHz which results in a 360 MHz CPU clock... this must be the fastest VLB system ever 🤣

Awesome!

Reply 262 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote:
I pulled a CPU out of dead laptop, with a sticker on it that said 233. It had a pin that was knocked flat which I managed to str […]
Show full quote

I pulled a CPU out of dead laptop, with a sticker on it that said 233. It had a pin that was knocked flat which I managed to straighten. At first I thought it was a normal Pentium MMX, and dropped it in a PCChips M573. Then I ran hwinfo and saw that it was a MOBILE Pentium MMX, with stepping myA0.

The BIOS on the M573 does not recognize the CPU, it simply says "MMX" but it booted with working L2 (512KB pipeline burst) and ran some DOS programs (did not have any Windows install). The voltage on this board can go lower than 2.8V so I dialed back to 2.5V and then tried a bit of overclocking. It booted at 83*3.5 which is the fastest available setting on this board (without mods).

BTW, the M573 also boots with a K6-3, identified by the BIOS as a K6.

BastlerMike wrote:

I tested my 300 MHz Tillamook on Powerleap PL-MMX Pro Voltage adapter on a TMC PAT54PV Socket 5 VLB board and it just works.
The FSB can be configured for 80 MHz which results in a 360 MHz CPU clock... this must be the fastest VLB system ever 🤣

Awesome!

Not saying that it doesn't exist but I have never seen a 233 Tillamook. If you don't mod the pins to ''activate'' the 4x multiplier it will boot as a 233mhz. Did you check the bottom side of the cpu? Does it say there 233 and 1.9v?

If it is a 233 I would simply use a normal one. They can go up to 300mhz (or a tiny bit less) and there will be no worries about voltage etc.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 265 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tillamook was a success with the pin mods mentioned above.We have had a big road though.More than 15 years of the mystery!I repeat i am using a tillamook 266oc to 300mhz on a speadeasy QDI titanium IIIB with l2 cache enabled.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 267 of 502, by Mitchellin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:
Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs […]
Show full quote

Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs like everest in win98se it says 512kb cache enabled.

I also did some benchmarks in everest and compared to my Asus TX97/233mmx setup and the tillamook is indeed faster in most tests so everything works fine.

I needed to do the pinmod to get the 4x multi working. This board has a 4x setting but it did not go any higher as 3,5x. After the pinmod it now works at 4x.
This board also runs fine and stable at 75fsb to give it a nice 300mhz speed. 83fsb can also be selected and i will test that later.

Only downside is this board has only 72pin memory slots so Edo only. This chipset can cache up to 128mb so that is a big bonus! I'm running 98mb (2x 16 + 2x32) right now as i have no more 32mb Edo ram sticks and it scores the same as with 64mb. This board goes as low as 2,1v so that is fine for the 1,9v tillamook, unfortunately the i/o voltage is still at 3,3v.

Hi, I got a P5Sj-B which is rather similar (not sure how much) and was wondering if I should buy a 266mhz Tillamook to test it. I also have a Jetway CF-531, but it looks like it needs a recap. Have not seen anything mentioned about that board and a Tillamook. Did you have any soldering done on the chip when you tested the ECS P5SJ-A?

Main: i3 10100f, rx5600xt, Radeon 7000/SbLive. Dual Win10/Win98 boot.
Retro Win98 PC: Pentium 3 500mhz, Voodoo 2/GF4ti.
MiniPCs: Shuttle XPC SN41G (winXP/98), Iwill ZPC64 (winXP/98), Igel M340C (win7).
And some laptops.

Reply 268 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mitchellin wrote:
meljor wrote:
Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs […]
Show full quote

Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs like everest in win98se it says 512kb cache enabled.

I also did some benchmarks in everest and compared to my Asus TX97/233mmx setup and the tillamook is indeed faster in most tests so everything works fine.

I needed to do the pinmod to get the 4x multi working. This board has a 4x setting but it did not go any higher as 3,5x. After the pinmod it now works at 4x.
This board also runs fine and stable at 75fsb to give it a nice 300mhz speed. 83fsb can also be selected and i will test that later.

Only downside is this board has only 72pin memory slots so Edo only. This chipset can cache up to 128mb so that is a big bonus! I'm running 98mb (2x 16 + 2x32) right now as i have no more 32mb Edo ram sticks and it scores the same as with 64mb. This board goes as low as 2,1v so that is fine for the 1,9v tillamook, unfortunately the i/o voltage is still at 3,3v.

Hi, I got a P5Sj-B which is rather similar (not sure how much) and was wondering if I should buy a 266mhz Tillamook to test it. I also have a Jetway CF-531, but it looks like it needs a recap. Have not seen anything mentioned about that board and a Tillamook. Did you have any soldering done on the chip when you tested the ECS P5SJ-A?

NONE! It is the only board I have ever seen that works without any modding and with l2 working. However, the voltage is still high and without the mutiplier mod 3,5 is the max setting. I also have the P5SJ-B but unfortunately it is broken 😮(

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 271 of 502, by the_patchelor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

got the Tillamook 266 MMX working at 4x66mhz on a ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4 (ATX Board). Just some headake last night and then I checked some intel documents...

To get multi 4x working, the BF2 has to be "enabled ", so I bridged NC-BF2-Vcc3 and I think this overwrites/enables the missing BF2 support on the Board (or?!)

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3801.jpg
    File size
    771.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3802.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3802.jpg
    File size
    520.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3803.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3803.jpg
    File size
    566.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_3804.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3804.jpg
    File size
    603.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 272 of 502, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Working L2 cache. Very nice. Did you have to bridge traces on your CPU to get it working?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 273 of 502, by the_patchelor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you only need to check my pictures....

I followed: Re: Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

I did the "yellow" mod for L2 Cache and extended the "blue" one for x4 on my specific ASUS P/I-XP55T2P4

Reply 274 of 502, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that these seem to work with L2 cache, this is very tempting considering that the AMD K6-2 450AHX chip I bought from eBay seems to be dead.

Sadly however, the lowest my board can go is 2.5V vcore. Running 0.6v over stock voltage seems dicey. Can anyone else attest to running one of these at 2.5V, and if so, would it last a long time?

(Additionally, my board can only go to a max of 3.5x multi for Intel chips - so would I be stuck at 233MHz anyway? Or does the 4x mod above change the 3.5x to 4x?)

Reply 275 of 502, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,
just a little piece of information I haven't read in this thread which may help boot up some boards which didn't before:

There is also a pin called VCC2DET# on socket 7 (right next to ADSC#) which the Tillamook doesn't connect internally but which is a LOW ACTIVE pin on "normal" MMX CPUs.
On my board (Chaintech 5RSA0) this pin has a pull-up resistor and when not pulled down by the CPU the voltage regulator for Vcore will not start up.
So for Tillamook support, besides the (optional) BF2-mod (for x4 multiplier) and the ADS#-to-ADSC#-mod (for Lvl2-cache), I had to ground the VCC2DET#-pin to get the voltage regulator running.
Maybe something to look for on non-posting boards...

Reply 276 of 502, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received my chip today and it POSTs on my PC Chips M550 motherboard. Running at 2.2V Cache error as expected, but the cache fix worked. Can't get the multi above 3.5x however; both mods mentioned here the blue links in this picture and the one further up this page which additionally bridges VCC.

Any ideas?

Also, on my board its identified as an i(Unknown). Hopefully this doesn't have any affect on the performance. I assume it has no Microcode.

EDIT: Yeah, it does affect performance - Speedsys Test the chip as performing below a Am5x86-133. Bugger.

EDIT2: Cachechk doesn't like it, saying it only has one (read) cache - also, the Internal cache in the BIOS is set as reserved (not even a selectable option!). When I set it to enabled it just resets at boot, so I'll have to give the other mod a go. Perhaps that's why the chip is performing so poorly.

Reply 278 of 502, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote on 2020-10-08, 13:25:

If performance is on 486 level, then there is a problem with cache. Post a photo of SpeedSys.

I've added the secondary cache mod mentioned in the previous post (pins highlighted red, but Internal cache is still showing 'Reserved' and External Cache is enabled. Cache check shows 512KB cache.

I think perhaps I need a BIOS with the Tillamook microcode for it to work properly?

Found some tools but I've essentially hit a brick wall trying to modify the AMIBIOS on that board. My SOYO 5-BT board however seems to work perfectly with the chip (properly identified cache working, etc), although its running at a rather terrifying 3.5v. The chip isn't even warm however...

EDIT (so I don't post-spam): cache, 4x multi, all working well on the SOYO board - by removing a jumper I've reduced the voltage to 3.3v but that's still an insane 1.4v over spec! Need to work out how to reduce the voltage further.

Reply 279 of 502, by Necrodude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A friend of mine helped me mod my Gigabyte GA-5AX board with ALI Chipset.
My 266mhz tillamook now runs at 400mhz (4x100) with working L2 cache

Attachments

• 4002.jpg
    Filename
    4002.jpg
    File size
    482.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4001.jpg
    Filename
    4001.jpg
    File size
    205.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 400.jpg
    Filename
    400.jpg
    File size
    392.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Necrodude on 2020-10-09, 06:44. Edited 1 time in total.