Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 502, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

The Aopen AX59pro allows voltage adjustments from 1.3 to 3.5v in 0.5v increments and the MVP3 chipset seems to run fine with a 266MMx, L2 cache and all. Bios string will not ID the CPU correctly - it reads "Intel P55MMX" at Post.

Regarding memory speed - My Asus P5A (Ali V) won't go over 250MB/sec unless I raise FSB speeds to 112MHz. That result is on par with my AX59pro (MVP3).

everest(read/write/copy)
ali5 340/140/210, mvp3 260/145/190

Hi! I'm tried today the Everest tests and I'm getting: Read 261 / Write 257 / Copy 261, processor is a P55C-250MHz (overclocked to 100MHz FSB) and chipset Ali M1542 Rev.G. What revision of chipset are you using? For what I know, from E to G revisions they made various improvements to memory (cacheable limits and so on) that may vary benchmark results (and performance!).

Mine is a revision G, still have to try another mainboard with the E revision of the Ali chipset to see if there are noticeable differences. Also, some said that performance is better with 1 memory dimm than using 2. Maybe I will test all these configurations, sorry for this little off-topic 😀

Reply 21 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With SiS 5591/5595 L2 is not works.

tillamook 005.jpg
Filename
tillamook 005.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 22 of 502, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm still wondering what's so different about the mobile chipsets these Tillamooks worked fine with?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 502, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So speculation was that Tillamook was compatible with async cache. Does this disprove that theory?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 24 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good questions. I have no power adapter to try the Tillamook in my old 430FX board.
SquallStrife has written succes with Jetway TX98B board that using SiS 5597/5598 chipset and (according to AnandTech) with Synchronous cache (like my SiS 5591/5595 board Gigabyte GA-5SG100 too):
http://www.anandtech.com/show/72/14

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 25 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Intel's "Embedded Pentium Processor with MMX Technology Flexible Motherboard Design Guidelines" mention "dual-voltage" for L2 cache and on page 11:

Benefits of a Flexible Motherboard A flexible motherboard design for the Pentium processor with MMX technology family offers sev […]
Show full quote

Benefits of a Flexible Motherboard
A flexible motherboard design for the Pentium processor with MMX technology family offers several benefits:
Provides price/performance options
One flexible design, when populated by different members of the Pentium processor with MMX technology family, can provide a wide range of price/performance options. Other assembly-time options for motherboard components can provide additional flexibility. For example, external caches may use asynchronous SRAM for cost effectiveness or pipelined burst SRAM for higher performance. Synchronous DRAM may replace Extended Data Out (EDO) DRAM as main memory to maintain performance in cost-effective platforms with optional external cache memory.

http://download.intel.com/design/intarch/appl … ts/27320602.pdf

Reply 26 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs like everest in win98se it says 512kb cache enabled.

I also did some benchmarks in everest and compared to my Asus TX97/233mmx setup and the tillamook is indeed faster in most tests so everything works fine.

I needed to do the pinmod to get the 4x multi working. This board has a 4x setting but it did not go any higher as 3,5x. After the pinmod it now works at 4x.
This board also runs fine and stable at 75fsb to give it a nice 300mhz speed. 83fsb can also be selected and i will test that later.

Only downside is this board has only 72pin memory slots so Edo only. This chipset can cache up to 128mb so that is a big bonus! I'm running 98mb (2x 16 + 2x32) right now as i have no more 32mb Edo ram sticks and it scores the same as with 64mb. This board goes as low as 2,1v so that is fine for the 1,9v tillamook, unfortunately the i/o voltage is still at 3,3v.

I did also test this cpu on an Asus TX97-XE (Intel 430TX) but no sigar... also did test it on an Atrend 5030 Intel 430TX board and with this you can see voltages in the bios. Using the tillamook it showed 2,5v io voltage while with a normal 233mmx it showed 3,3v ! So the TX does respond differently to the Tillamook? Unfortunately the L2 cache got disabled as well on this board so the SiS board seems like the fastest option.

Member Kanecvr said that a Tillamook runs fine on an Aopen AX59-pro with cache enabled and if that is the case that would be the ultimate board for this cpu (100fsb and agp). Mine however didn't even boot with the Tillamook. I will look further into this and maybe i need another bios file or something. @kanecvr : What is your board revision and bios revision?

I also tested this cpu on 2 Epox mvp3 boards and one DFI mvp3 board. Also grabbed 2 Gigabyte Ali V boards, one Jetway and 3 different Asus Ali V boards but none of these super 7 boards worked.
Some didn't even boot with this cpu and others did disable the L2. I know they all work fine with k6 cpu's so these boards are in working condition.

Still have one SiS, one 430TX and one 430HX to test....... But i am pleased that atleast the ECS P5SJ-A works!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 27 of 502, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs […]
Show full quote

Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs like everest in win98se it says 512kb cache enabled.

I also did some benchmarks in everest and compared to my Asus TX97/233mmx setup and the tillamook is indeed faster in most tests so everything works fine.

I needed to do the pinmod to get the 4x multi working. This board has a 4x setting but it did not go any higher as 3,5x. After the pinmod it now works at 4x.
This board also runs fine and stable at 75fsb to give it a nice 300mhz speed. 83fsb can also be selected and i will test that later.

Only downside is this board has only 72pin memory slots so Edo only. This chipset can cache up to 128mb so that is a big bonus! I'm running 98mb (2x 16 + 2x32) right now as i have no more 32mb Edo ram sticks and it scores the same as with 64mb. This board goes as low as 2,1v so that is fine for the 1,9v tillamook, unfortunately the i/o voltage is still at 3,3v.

I did also test this cpu on an Asus TX97-XE (Intel 430TX) but no sigar... also did test it on an Atrend 5030 Intel 430TX board and with this you can see voltages in the bios. Using the tillamook it showed 2,5v io voltage while with a normal 233mmx it showed 3,3v ! So the TX does respond differently to the Tillamook? Unfortunately the L2 cache got disabled as well on this board so the SiS board seems like the fastest option.

Member Kanecvr said that a Tillamook runs fine on an Aopen AX59-pro with cache enabled and if that is the case that would be the ultimate board for this cpu (100fsb and agp). Mine however didn't even boot with the Tillamook. I will look further into this and maybe i need another bios file or something. @kanecvr : What is your board revision and bios revision?

I also tested this cpu on 2 Epox mvp3 boards and one DFI mvp3 board. Also grabbed 2 Gigabyte Ali V boards, one Jetway and 3 different Asus Ali V boards but none of these super 7 boards worked.
Some didn't even boot with this cpu and others did disable the L2. I know they all work fine with k6 cpu's so these boards are in working condition.

Still have one SiS, one 430TX and one 430HX to test....... But i am pleased that atleast the ECS P5SJ-A works!

This is very promising! It's still a mystery what makes these chips so troublesome. I'd suspected it may have been the amount of cache on the motherboard, but that can't be the whole story (and it may have absolutely nothing to do with the Tillamook!).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 502, by sd_entertainmnt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My PC Chips m537dma33 works fine with the Tillamook. Cachechk and speedsys verify the 512kb L2 fine. The "VX Pro" chipset which is really a neutered Via VP1 performs close enough. Stuck at 3.5 multi and havn't tried the pin mod yet. I've tried 4 other socket 7 boards without luck unfortunately. Runs great at 350mhz but without L2 benches similar to 233 with.

Reply 29 of 502, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:
Got a Tillamook 266mmx working at a ECS P5SJ-A SiS 5598 motherboard. During post the bios says 512kb cache and also in programs […]
Show full quote

Nice work!
I can't remember if I mated my Tilly with ASUS SP97. It boots without L2 Cache on GA-5SMM but won't boot on P5S-VM, though both use SiS530 chipset.

Reply 30 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
meljor wrote:
Show full quote

This is very promising! It's still a mystery what makes these chips so troublesome. I'd suspected it may have been the amount of cache on the motherboard, but that can't be the whole story (and it may have absolutely nothing to do with the Tillamook!).

I don't think the amount of cache has any influence as this ECS board also has a pretty normal 512kb cache, the same as pretty much all my socket7 and super socket7 boards.
It is also normal pipeline burst cache, not async.

The question is: what did SiS do differently compared to Intel/Via/Ali? Maybe lesser pins are used on these boards and by coincident the ''troublesome pins'' of the Tillamook have no effect?
Just a VERY wild guess ofcourse but something is different, that's for sure.

Reply 31 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
meljor wrote:
Show full quote

Nice work!
I can't remember if I mated my Tilly with ASUS SP97. It boots without L2 Cache on GA-5SMM but won't boot on P5S-VM, though both use SiS530 chipset.

The other SiS board i have yet to test is also an Asus SP97 (or sp97-v?) but according to Phil it does disable cache? It has the exact same chipset as my ECS so maybe with the ''right'' bios.....?

Reply 32 of 502, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some futile work today. The take home message is: jump wiring BRDY# and BRDYC# pins doesn't solve the problem.

The longer story. I read the Tillamook's datasheet and found several removed pins comparing to regular pentium:

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 11.31.58 AM.png
Filename
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 11.31.58 AM.png
File size
165.87 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The top two pins, ADSC# and BRDYC# are related to L2 cache and they are copies of ADS# and BRDY#, respectively. The rest of the pins are related to dual processor setup. Naively I thought it's possible that some boards wire signals to ADSC# and/or BRDYC# instead of ADS# and/or BRDY# and therefore the culprit. ADS# and ADSC# are a little far apart but BRDY# and BRDYC# are next to each other so I bridged the two pin holes with a copper wire. No luck.

Reply 33 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be worth seeing how the pins in this chart are connected or what signal is going through them on desktop boards shown to work with the Tillimock. Then mimic what these pins are doing on boards which do not fully support the Tillimock.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 34 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had another go with the Aopen ax59pro super socket7 mvp3 board, this time with the latest bios: no post at all with the tillamook, k6 and normal mmx run fine...

Reply 35 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next board was the Asus sp97-v, also with SiS 5598 chipset. This board does post but not boot, maybe after disabling cache it does but that was not the point.

After this one i tried a pcchips m590 with SiS 5591 chipset. This board does auto cpu selection and auto voltage. Runs fine with a normal mmx in there but no display at all with the tillamook.

Revisited the Atrend atc 5030 intel 430TX board, the one that is up to now the only board that lowers the i/o voltage to 2,5v with a tillamook in there (but disables cache). This board is also auto voltage.
Strangely enough i can not get it to boot anymore with the tillamook (tried 20+ times). I was hoping it would maybe enable cache if i used EDO instead of Sdram since the working ECS board uses EDO...
Very strange, it starts right up with a normal pentum cpu.

Also tried other boards with EDO but no luck on enabling cache nomatter using EDO or Sdram so that theory is out the window as well.

Reply 36 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had a mixup: it was an Asus TX97-XE that showed 2.5 volt. But it also shows 2.5v vcore while i set it at 1.9v so i think it is a reading error, as the cpu temp also is an error showing 1.0 Celsius.
With a normal mmx on the board it shows the right vcore (2.😎 and the right 3,3v and also the temp is normal. Cache is disabled so this board certainly is not right for the tillamook.

Also lately tested a Fic 503+ super 7 mvp3 board and that one does not work with cache enabled.... the search for a fully working ss7 board continues 😎

Reply 37 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sd_entertainmnt wrote:

My PC Chips m537dma33 works fine with the Tillamook. Cachechk and speedsys verify the 512kb L2 fine. The "VX Pro" chipset which is really a neutered Via VP1 performs close enough. Stuck at 3.5 multi and havn't tried the pin mod yet. I've tried 4 other socket 7 boards without luck unfortunately. Runs great at 350mhz but without L2 benches similar to 233 with.

You run the 1.9V Tillamook on 2.5v? Leastwise the m537dma33 supports voltage from 2.5 to 3.5.

Reply 38 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote:
sd_entertainmnt wrote:

You run the 1.9V Tillamook on 2.5v? Leastwise the m537dma33 supports voltage from 2.5 to 3.5.

I got a PowerLeap adapter and I have made the pin mod too (short BF2–BF0). Now I can confirm that the PC Chips m537dma33 ("VX_PRO+" chipset) works fine with the Tillamook. Tillamook 266 with the PC Chips m537dma33 with the L2 cache is 6.6% faster than my SiS 5591/5595 board without the L2 cache. (At this speed, the Pascal "Runtime Error 200" is occur.)

Attachments