VOGONS

Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mr Chips you are very lucky, you can go as old as 1996 .If my theory is correct, yours 430HX can have an 1996 bios.Super micro has 6 models with 430hx.Verify compatibility.
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Supermi … 30hx/index.html
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Supermi … 30HX_Jumper.htm

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 61 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I must correct myself, my Tillamook laptop is also async like most old Socket 5 boards. But my PC Chips M537-DMA33 board seems really have synchronous pipelined burst L2 cache (it has two UT6164C32Q-6 chip: "ETC - 64K X 32 SYNCHRONOUS PIPELINED BURST CMOS SRAM").

It is not strange that bios with same chipset work on an other motherboard. On wimbios.com, they collect bioses by chipset, not by motherboard manufacturers.

For the TX with old bios project: my TX board is too new (ASUS TX97-XE), the oldest bios come from 1997-Apr-14.
But if someone send me older TX Award bios, I can make a try (I'm will erase an eprom).

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 62 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Gona,according to this info file,you are lucky aswell becase the first bios for you tx97-xe is from april 1997 and should validate my theory if it is correct.please flash this bios and report back so the community can know.
http://ftp.tekwind.co.jp/pub/asustw/mb/sock7/ … 97-xe/index.txt

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 63 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have flash this ver. 0104 bios (the date inside the bios is 1997-Mar-19), but the same result: if the L2 is enabled, the boot halts on 61 "try to turn on level 2 cache"). L2 not works.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 64 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Intel FX board has async cache, I have tested and L2 works with Tillamook. This is my latest board with Intel chipset where L2 works. So it seems all asynchronous boards are good (with power adapter).

boards with asynchronous external cache: L2 cache works
Intel VX/HX/TX: L2 cache not works
VIA Apollo VPX: PC Chips M537-DMA33 L2 cache works but Aristo AM-545+ L2 cache not works
VIA MVP3: L2 cache not works
ALi M1531 Aladdin IV: PC Chips M560 TopGun L2 cache not works
ALi Aladdin V: L2 cache not works
SiS 5582: ECS P5SJ-A (non-VGA) L2 cache works
SiS 5597/5598: Jetway TX98B L2 cache works but Asus SP97-V L2 cache not works
SiS 5591/5595: PC Chips M590; Gigabyte GA-5SG100 L2 cache not works

Reply 65 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Gona, i cannot believe how small is the world we live in.I am Dimitris who sold you the powerleap PLmmx pro adaptor.Anyway i am waiting for a tillamook cpu to test on my qdi titanium iiib and i would like to suggest to try to enable the l2 cache using either a software called setmul or powerleaps cpu control panel .I upgraded a sp700 to dual p3 900mhz 2mb l2 cache and i used successfully powerleaps software to reanable l2 cache.So my lucky guess is to disable l2 cache in bios , and once win98se loads, to use these programs to enable the l2.We can also try the great H-oda l2 latency software to make it asynchronus.Gona lead the way man.I want tillamook to be my last upgrade to my very first pc 233mmx ever i bought about in 1996.
http://plcomp.sweb.cz/cpucontrolen.htm

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 66 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, World is small. Thanks again for the PLmmx adaptor. First I have found it instable but later I have figure it out that one of the VRM connection has contact failure. I have resoldered it and thence it is perfect.
So, I understand you, but note that these tools can only enable L2 cache in the CPU (like L2 in PIII and K6-2), not on the motherboard.
In SetMul readme:

In addition it can enable and disable processor L1 and L2 cache.

I have try to seek utility to enable motherboard cache without success. I have tested PowerLeap CPU Control Panel 5.1 (what I have not tested before), but the "Force L2 Cache to enable" do nothing with the disabled motherboard L2 cache on my Intel TX mobo with Tillamook 266. Finally I have tested a classic Pentium 100 with the same motherboard, and the same, PowerLeap CPU Control Panel 5.1 do nothing. If the L2 is enabled in bios CACHECHK writes I have L1 and L2. If I disable in bios and set PowerLeap CPU Control Panel 5.1 to Force L2 Cache to enable, CACHECHK writes I have one cache. So PowerLeap CPU Control Panel 5.1 also can enable processor L2 cache.

Attachments

• plccp.png
    Filename
    plccp.png
    File size
    26.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 67 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Goodmorning Gona , nice to hear .I am waiting for my tillamook coming from china to test.The powerleap adaptor i sold was used in an IBM 300GL with a p233mmx cpu .Unfortunately it had a broken onboard vrm since i bought it in a bulk buyout and it came with an original pentium 200.Just recently i found out that the 233mmx could work at 3.2 vcore with a good heatsink from the socket A era by disabling the VVC2 dectection pin and voila ,it now works without the powerleap adaptor.Unfrotunately the ibm 300GL does not post with an AMD k6-2 400mhz cxt core,my original amd cpu since p5a era.I also have a MADEX 5856 adapter in a Compaq DESKPRO 2000 i am going to use with the tillamook.Strange to hear though that the voltage regulator needed some resoldering due to cold connection because i was using it a lot and i asked for a big price for that.Once again thank you .Gona i was reading the other day that the tillamook will only work correctly once the it has the correct voltages.Have you tried vcore 1,9 on powerleap?
I/O 2,5v would be difficult thgouh.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 68 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amijim wrote:

Have you tried vcore 1,9 on powerleap? I/O 2,5v would be difficult thgouh.

Sure, I'm using Tillamook 266 with vcore 1.9 Volt. In my early tests, before the PowerLeap adapter arrives, the 2.1 Volt was the maximum what I have tried, I have never used higher vcore than 2.1V. The PC Chip board have the 2.5V as smallest vcore voltage, this was the reason why I want to get a CPU adapter.

Reply 69 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Gona.We have to make it to the end.Please try another software and report back.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070105181830if_ … acheutility.zip

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 70 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gona wrote:
I must correct myself, my Tillamook laptop is also async like most old Socket 5 boards. But my PC Chips M537-DMA33 board seems r […]
Show full quote

I must correct myself, my Tillamook laptop is also async like most old Socket 5 boards. But my PC Chips M537-DMA33 board seems really have synchronous pipelined burst L2 cache (it has two UT6164C32Q-6 chip: "ETC - 64K X 32 SYNCHRONOUS PIPELINED BURST CMOS SRAM").

It is not strange that bios with same chipset work on an other motherboard. On wimbios.com, they collect bioses by chipset, not by motherboard manufacturers.

For the TX with old bios project: my TX board is too new (ASUS TX97-XE), the oldest bios come from 1997-Apr-14.
But if someone send me older TX Award bios, I can make a try (I'm will erase an eprom).

Finally i feel like we are getting somewhere with this. My working p5sja has the EXACT same cache chips: UT6164C32Q-6

So i got very exited and checked all my s7 and ss7 boards for those chips and all boards i have tested before, do not work with l2 or work at all with the Tiallamook, have different chips to these.

BUT..... the one exeption is my Asus TX97-XE, it has the exact same UT6164C32Q-6 chips as well and i rechecked that board a couple of times already but it simply will not boot with l2 enabled. why??

It does give me fresh hope about some other boards that i never tested with the Tillamook: my tx97 and tx97-e. I guessed since they came from the same series they will not work as well but i now see that they have even more different cache chips so they are worth testing anyway! Will do in the next few days...

I also have Asus boards with the (probably working) FX chipset but i do not own a cpu adapter for socket 7 so i can not regulate the voltage. These boards are 3,3v cpu only and it will be too much.

The one board i would really like to test but can not get to work because of missing components (and maybe other damage): P5SD-B
It is an ECS board just like my P5SJ-A and also has a SiS chipset but this one has an agp slot and a 100mhz fsb (pretty unique). Guess what? It has the UT6164C32Q-6 cache chips... hopefully i will get it working some day.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 71 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Retrofitting these cache modules to our boards may be the solution.Heading to ebay china.....Please try to run the l2 software application to check if the software is able to enable disable the l2 external cache from these boards.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 72 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not only the cache, my TX97-XE is completely messed up in bios when it comes to voltages etc. As soon as i insert a normal cpu all is fine.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 73 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amijim wrote:

Hello Gona.We have to make it to the end.Please try another software and report back.
https://web.archive.org/web/20070105181830if_ … acheutility.zip

I have attached the error message. You can test yourself the utilities that you find on a CPU that has inside L1 cache but has no L2 cache (so the motherboard cache is the L2). If you find one that works, I will test it on my config.

Attachments

• plcct.png
    Filename
    plcct.png
    File size
    4.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Gona on 2018-05-13, 07:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 74 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
Finally i feel like we are getting somewhere with this. My working p5sja has the EXACT same cache chips: UT6164C32Q-6 […]
Show full quote

Finally i feel like we are getting somewhere with this. My working p5sja has the EXACT same cache chips: UT6164C32Q-6

So i got very exited and checked all my s7 and ss7 boards for those chips and all boards i have tested before, do not work with l2 or work at all with the Tiallamook, have different chips to these.

BUT..... the one exeption is my Asus TX97-XE, it has the exact same UT6164C32Q-6 chips as well and i rechecked that board a couple of times already but it simply will not boot with l2 enabled. why??

It does give me fresh hope about some other boards that i never tested with the Tillamook: my tx97 and tx97-e. I guessed since they came from the same series they will not work as well but i now see that they have even more different cache chips so they are worth testing anyway! Will do in the next few days...

I also have Asus boards with the (probably working) FX chipset but i do not own a cpu adapter for socket 7 so i can not regulate the voltage. These boards are 3,3v cpu only and it will be too much.

The one board i would really like to test but can not get to work because of missing components (and maybe other damage): P5SD-B
It is an ECS board just like my P5SJ-A and also has a SiS chipset but this one has an agp slot and a 100mhz fsb (pretty unique). Guess what? It has the UT6164C32Q-6 cache chips... hopefully i will get it working some day.

This can be a good sight.
I have look around and I have no other board with UT6164C32Q-6 cache. Two of my boards are haveing UT6164C64AQ-5 (and -6) cache chips these I have tesed befora and L2 is not works. And my Asus TX97-XE has a full different cache chips.
The Japanese Melco (later name Buffalo) CPU upgrades are relative cheap in Japan. These CPU upgrades was sold primarily for NEC PC-9821 but N4/NV4 adapters have "PC-9821 <-> PC/AT" setting, might earlier adapters too. I-O DATA also sold some of these upgrades under own name. You can change the CPU to Tillamook because these adapters are also have DIP switches to change voltage and multiplier settings.
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/h316594371
The N4 and NV4 adapters was the latest for Socket 7 CPUs, it seems these adapters can double the motherboard clock for the CPU (so 50 MHz to 100 MHz). I have ordered this recently:
http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/q208440505

Reply 75 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Gona,you seem to take this tillamook saga to another level.I am still waiting for my tillamook to come from malaysia and upon arrival i will test it on my original qdi titanium iiib.Please note that the bios does not allow a post with a k6 cpu and such could be the case with the tillamook.So i guess it is either tha cache chips or the bios / hardware specs behind the working motherboards.Perhaps the working wobos were oem built by Arima or Acer fabs mostly known for their laptops and maybe their technicians built the desktop mobos with the technics they knew from the tillamook laptops.In any case i sill try to find and retrofit these cache moduleUT6164C32Q.
Update*
I just had a look on SBC mobos for the tillamook.It seems that they use various cache chips .i am researching if the use 64k x 32 or 64k x 64.
UT6164C32Q is 64k x 32
UT6164C64 is 64k x 64
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Single_Board_Computers

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 76 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VIA Apollo VPX: PC Chips M537-DMA33 L2 cache works but Aristo AM-545+ L2 cache not works
Gona,can you tell us the difference if any on the cache chips on the motherboards above?

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 77 of 502, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
amijim wrote:

Gona,can you tell us the difference if any on the cache chips on the motherboards above?

Sure. As I have written the PC Chips M537-DMA33 has UT6164C32Q-6 cache chip (this works), but the Aristo AM-545+ has UMC UM61L6464F-6 cache chip (this one not works with enabled L2 and Tillamook).

Reply 78 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello.It seems that the tillamook needs 64x32 memory modules.Gona can uou make a photo of the working pc chips cache modules and the aristo non working? Can you also upload fotos of working and non working cache modules?My qdi seems to have the um613264f which are 64x32 modules.Still waiting for my tillamook.I have an asus 430hx t55t2p4 board as well and i will test this as well.
https://ibb.co/jPSO3y
https://ibb.co/k1egqd

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 79 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hellon , my tillamook came and i will be testing it to my boards soon.I have new information though which might be interesting .Have a look.
https://etmriwi.home.xs4all.nl/adding.htm
https://ibb.co/dp7jYy

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350