VOGONS

Tillamook 266MHz and working L2 cache?

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 502, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LeFlash wrote:

You are limited to 333MHz, 400MHz only works with 100MHz FSB.

still a decent jump and if it works something different compared to the tried and true 233mmx. so from reading it looks like with the mod it can work in the sp97-v so that would mean sp97-xv as well. cause i have a spax that can run on sp97-xv bios i can try as well. my fic va-503+ is fried so no go there. p5a-b has been debunked which i have too no mention on what version doubt it matters.

good job on everyone who put effort on this overall very interesting.

Reply 201 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They don't let you run at 6x? My 430TX board runs a K6-III+ at 83.3 x 6 = 500 MHz.

Curious, were there any undocumented 100 MHz settings on any 430TX board?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 203 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
greasemonkey90s wrote:

hmm i wonder where my newley aquired aopen ap5tc tx board falls in compatibility with tillamook. judging by the tx track record on here not that great. i guess im banking on the features this board presents judging by the switching power regulator and offering at the lowest 1.3vcore upto 3.5 and multi's from 1.5-5x. looks like i need to order me a chip.

*edit well as per latest bios looks like at most they added k6-3 support but limited to the usual tx max of the 83fsb. dont have much to loose all i would have left if all else fails is the proven pc chips m573dma33 thats proven on here.

I think 430TX needs more test examples. Most of my boards are Asus boards and they do not seem to work with the Tillamook. Good chance that others will work fine.

@Feipoa: The later k6 cpu's internally remap the 2x setting from motherboards to 6x. It's the only chip that can do that because amd wanted to make sure the non super 7 boards could still use the k6-2 (and k6-3) at decent speeds so people would do the upgrade. The idea was 6x 66mhz fsb to stay in-spec and still beeing able to run 400mhz on older boards.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 204 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe someone can mod some bios files to add Tillamook support?

My Gigabyte SS7 boards display during post ''Talimook'' cpu. Because of the fact that it is spelled wrong you can clearly see that specific code was added to these bios versions as a normal mmx does just display Intel pentium mmx cpu (or something like that).

So after the mod it is probably all about the bios supporting it yes or no.

Reply 205 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Titanium iiib confirmed working with tillamook and it is a 430tx board!

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_182317.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20180625_182317.jpg
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 206 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which mods were required and what freq. is it being run at? Did you run speedsys and quake? Could you provide the chart?

Reply 207 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a stock tillamook.running perfectly on 430tx mobo like a pentium 233 mmx without l2.I will do the mods and postvpics mid oct.I have posted pics in page 7. Thank you.

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 208 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Asus TX97XE also works fine without L2, it's the working L2 we are after. That is an interesting board as the bios does not seem to really support it as it just says ''-mmx cpu at 16mhz''.

Curious if it will run correctly and at full speed with the mod.

Reply 209 of 502, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got a Tillamook266 work nicely on my QDI Titanium IB (430TX) with L2, I did the mods all at once after seeing if it works as is. As is it ran but L2 didn't work as expected and CPU followed multipiler set by the mobo. With the mods I got locked 4x multiplier and working L2 cache.

http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/PCschit/Tillamook0.jpg
http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/PCschit/Tillamook1.jpg

The mobo misrepresents speed and FSB, but reality definitely is 75MHz and not 40MHz 🤣. I also hacked the board to do 83MHz but the machine froze when it came to actually booting, but was worth to try.
Now I have to mod the mobo itself as it is overvolting the core quite a bit (3.3V), stupid softmenu 🤣.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 210 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh nice indeed! Did you look for undocumented Vcore settings? My Biostar 430TX board had a lot of undocumented Vcore options, even as low as 2.1 V. 83 MHz works reliably on my board if I use 72-pin SIMMs. Did you try a single stick of FPM, say, only 32 MB?

Reply 211 of 502, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I looked up datasheets of the PLL and voltage regulator and got an idea what they can do. The rest is just cutting the tracks leading to those pins and overriding them with my own settings. The power regulator on the board I got goes from 2.1V to 3.5V in 0.1V increments. BIOS tries to detect a CPU and then allows some range to be used rather than all of it. If the BIOSes weren't compressed etc. it wouldn't take too much effort to just allow all the settings to be used regardless of CPU type. So for the time being I just override things in hardware.
As far as 83MHz goes no type of memory worked, regardless of memory timings used. I normally use PC133 sticks in the thing, I got better perfromance with those than with EDO or FPM sticks.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 212 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting. Were you able to quantify the performance benefit of PC133 vs. EDO DRAM on this board? On my Biostar board, if I wanted to max out the RAM, so 256 MB using SDRAM, I could only go up to 66 MHz FSB for the system to be fully stable (e.g. it wouldn't crash running XP updates for hours). At 75 MHz FSB, I had to reduce the SDRAM to 128 MB. At 83 MHz, reducing the RAM quantity did not help.

Now, when using 256 MB 72-pin EDO RAM, I could run the system at 83 MHz without issue and it was stable. I was using an AMD K6-III+ at 400, 450, and 500 MHz with the motherboard's L2 cache disabled.

Reply 213 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone had success performing he mod, whereby before the mod, the screen didn't turn on?

I'm wanting to test this out on my Biostar 430tx board, but when I insert the Tilimock, all I get is a black screen. Wondering if my Tilimock is dead. I also tried removing DIP-28 cache TAG chip, which disables the L2 cache, but same result.

Reply 214 of 502, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good to hear the 1B works. I have a 1B+ and a Tillamook sitting around here somewhere.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 215 of 502, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience a board should at least just post, it should also boot with l2 disabled. After the mod it should work fine with l2.

But if the bios does not support the chip the screen stays black. The mod can not fix this. None of the boards i tested that did not even post also did not after the mod.

So if someone can mod bios files? Please add Tillamook code to the Asus P5A bios! (or P5A-B) 😀

Reply 217 of 502, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like my Tillamook boots up on my VX board, albiet at 2.8 V rather than the specified 1.9 V. This board doesn't have a 1.9 V setting and the lowest specified in the manual is 2.8 V.

So what is it about certain 430TX boards which lets the Tillamook work? Is it purely BIOS So if I use another board's BIOS in my 430TX board, will the Tillamook work?

Reply 218 of 502, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

In my experience a board should at least just post, it should also boot with l2 disabled. After the mod it should work fine with l2.

But if the bios does not support the chip the screen stays black. The mod can not fix this. None of the boards i tested that did not even post also did not after the mod.

So if someone can mod bios files? Please add Tillamook code to the Asus P5A bios! (or P5A-B) 😀

If you are willing you could try to patch the bios with bios patcher:
The tool itself is listed on http://www.rom.by/ site which is russian, but no problem using google translator. You need to download the BIOS patcher - last stable version 4.23 is here http://www.rom.by/Award/patcher/bp-4_23.rar and additional files (all is listed in readme and about.txt files)
http://rom.by/Award/patcher/cbrom.rar
http://rom.by/Award/patcher/lha.rar
http://rom.by/Award/patcher/real_microcodes.rar
It also updates (or add) the microcodes. I patched the bios myself but I have the p5a in a box actually so I can't test it with tillamook.

Reply 219 of 502, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will try that bios patcher with my qdi titanium IIIB .Cant wait to have access to my hardware after the season of summer 2018 ends!

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350