Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP387sRr07c&fe … nel_video_title

Mind = blown

It probably is fake (it sure looks like it), but is there even a teeny bit of chance this is real?

EDIT: Alright, watching it a bit more, it's just impossible. Even if there is a co pro installed in there, there is no way it could achieve that speed.

Reply 1 of 44, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quake will Run on a 386, you need at least a 387 math co-processor, Im sure it needed at least at 8meg of ram.

386DX40
64meg ram
2meg video
40mhz 387 math co-processor

My 386 does 1.8fps in the quake timedemo test, thats fullscreen minus 1, the frame rate does'nt really improve enough to make it playable when you shrink it all the way down to a matchbox size.

He only has 4meg of ram, a 386SX33, no mention of math co-processor, 8 bit graphics card, how the hell do you even run quake in 4bit colour? I cannot imagine Quake playing that smooth on my machine even if the colours were reduced that much, to get the frame rate up Quake simply needs more cpu grunt.

The video has got to be fake.

edit: Found a document that describes video modes.
vid_describemodes

PACK1.DRV - Unknown 1-bit color driver.
PACK4.DRV - Unknown 4-bit color driver.
PACK8.DRV - Unknown 8-bit color driver.

I'll be blown away if Quake improves much, Got to find how to switch modes because these modes might be available but not under the video mode menu, got to go to work I'll give this a try later.

Reply 3 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That video's completely fake. He used a Pentium (486s and lower would have huge mipblock slowdowns on any dynamic lighting), and the 4-bit color is most likely revealing that it's DOSBOX FOOTAGE put through posterization, and recorded with a camera for the 'convinc-o-meter'. The brightflashes (item pickups) make that obvious since that's done by tinting the palette normally, but here you see it actually shifting a real 8-bit palette, having instant color conversion to '4-bit'....

Or, he could be using a CRT monitor meant for a Mac, put through a VGA adapter, to get the instantaneous 4-bit downsampling. but anyway, the 386 part is totally false.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never seen PACK1/4/8.DRV in Quake. I assume that's some ISA video card's extensions or something... but Quake never had native 16-color modes. I tried to code them in to some point of failure even.
all i've seen with vid_describemodes is the VGA mode, MODE X modes, VESA modes in a list, but NEVER PACK1/4/8.DRV

Doom's fake too, 386 33s can't run Doom THAT well, with a '24kilobytes' video card.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=faConQfSKzw

I feel like i'm looking at a gaming hipster.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 44, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Cyrix 386-40 gets 2.1 fps in Quake with a crappy 1 MB trident graphics card. It is not playable by any stretch of the imagination.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 44, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi there, i have been running quake and quake2 in ~1998 on a computer like this:
sis socket3 board
amd5x86-133 oc 150(50*3)
32mb edo ram
cirrus 5446 2mb videocard
win95osr2
quake2 ran at 10~15 fps with default graphics quality, and quake is slightly faster. at that time i wasn't familiar with quake console commands or i could have tweaked it a bit faster.

i believe quake and quake2 COULD run on a fastest 386 machine, although not playable:
amd386dx-40 with 387
32mb ram(4mb*8 )
ati mach64

Reply 10 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

also the 24kb vga(?) card?? what's up with that?
CGA was 16kb and EGA 64kb, 24kb could be of an ANSI termninal but it is just a bogus number I bet 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 44, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LOOOOL
"You have been blocked by the owner of this video"

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 44, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a DX4+ , 16 megs, some Tseng Labs 2MB. I played Quake fullscreen and even switched from dos to slower windows to get sound working (big noob back then). Then again I am low framerate freak who enjoyed playing Carmageddon demo on that at 1-2 fps.

Reply 17 of 44, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just set up a working 386 using parts I've got easy access to(my regular 386 pc is locked at the basement because of the lack of space). I have a 386dx/40 cpu, ULSI 387/40, a 512kb svga card, and 5 MB RAM. I tried to run Quake, and it won't start. The reason is that it needs more memory....

Update : Ok, I found 4x4MB simms, and now I have 20MB RAM. The game now starts. It's really slow, even when I reduce the size of the window. I tried the command vid_describemodes and it just displays a list of 10 different resolutions, but there's nothing about color depth. I need to find a way to make that work, just to see how it's doing compared to that video. I also have a 50MHz crystal, so I can run the cpu at 25MHz.

P.S. I tried to run the game by having the co-processor remover, and it won't run, displaying a message that it requires one. Finally, I tried a game that makes use of the 387 . 😜

Reply 18 of 44, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:
Quake will Run on a 386, you need at least a 387 math co-processor, Im sure it needed at least at 8meg of ram. […]
Show full quote

Quake will Run on a 386, you need at least a 387 math co-processor, Im sure it needed at least at 8meg of ram.

386DX40
64meg ram
2meg video
40mhz 387 math co-processor

My 386 does 1.8fps in the quake timedemo test, thats fullscreen minus 1, the frame rate does'nt really improve enough to make it playable when you shrink it all the way down to a matchbox size.

He only has 4meg of ram, a 386SX33, no mention of math co-processor, 8 bit graphics card, how the hell do you even run quake in 4bit colour? I cannot imagine Quake playing that smooth on my machine even if the colours were reduced that much, to get the frame rate up Quake simply needs more cpu grunt.

The video has got to be fake.

edit: Found a document that describes video modes.
vid_describemodes

PACK1.DRV - Unknown 1-bit color driver.
PACK4.DRV - Unknown 4-bit color driver.
PACK8.DRV - Unknown 8-bit color driver.

I'll be blown away if Quake improves much, Got to find how to switch modes because these modes might be available but not under the video mode menu, got to go to work I'll give this a try later.

Has to be fake. My 486 DX2-80 used to struggle with some games from that time period so there's no way in HELL that any 386 is going to do better. He might have sped up the video to make the game look like it was playing faster than it actually was. Speed up 3FPS 10X and it actually becomes playable! LoL!

Reply 19 of 44, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm convinced it is fake. I contacted the uploader of that video, and politely asked him how did he get it to run in 4bit color, and that I needed help to do the same. He replied shortly, and told me that he didn't do anything. The game just started like that, and he has no idea how can I duplicate that result within the console...
I believe that maybe it has something to do with the vga card he's using. Maybe it's too old, or it might even has gone bad, and perhaps that's what is causing that. But certainly it's not a 386. I'd bet it's a pentium at least...