VOGONS

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got my board up and running pretty good...wondering if there is a bios update (currently at 4.50PG) because I can NOT get the L1 writeback enabled on Am5x86. Everytime I run chkcpu it tells me its in write-through mode. I've tried to force with the dip switches on the Trinity Works VRM I have, but it hangs at "Starting MS-DOS". I'm thinking it's a BIOS issue, although the manual I have says it supports L1 writeback on P24D chips. Chipset I have is 85c471 and I got an EEPROM burner so no problem if I could find one.

Also, anyone got a source for 32k x 8 -20 dips? -- the -10's I have won't work, and I've only got (5) -20's (need 6 more).

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 9, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two of them, but the jumpers used to select 3.3 or 5v cpu are soldered so as you can use only 5v cpus. So (for my cpu stock), I'm limited up to dx2/66 cpus.

Reply 2 of 9, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is one of the last niggly things I need to work out on it and I'll be happy...for the moment, that is. That and a Travan IDE drive that doesn't want to be recognized.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 3 of 9, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive got a Sy25/p2

the bios just says G.2, date 26/Sep/1994

Im having troubles getting the board running smoothly, using a POD83 it often locks at that same screen, not sure if its the board or memory related or what not.

It would lock if I tried to use a boot disk so I installed dos 6.22 using another machine (hard drive)and put the hard drive back in the machine and it loaded okay, I then installed windows 95 which went fine but on running the first time its hanging at that 2nd boot screen, dont know dont know.

edit: The board has slight battery corresion damage, the chips shows up as P24T-S CPU at 80mhz not sure if that indicates incorrect jumper settings, I found this the most difficult board in regards to jumper settings.

Reply 4 of 9, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got an updated BIOS for that board, 11/28/95-SIS-85C471B/E/G-2C4I9S21-00, you'll need a burner to load it, though. You should be able to find a manual for it, try web.archive.org and put in the Soyo site www.soyo.com.tw and it'll show you what they have. That's where I found the original manual for my 25N. I've got a bit of corrosion damage on my battery, too, someday I'll remove the battery but haven't been that motivated yet. It's "JUST" at the point where I'm enjoying it, and I hate to take it all back apart just for something small like that.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 5 of 9, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be pulling that battery off ASAP... I've seen too many old computers destroyed by those batteries leaking.
Even if it looks like a small amount of corrosion there could be more corrosion along tracks you can't see in between the layers of the PCB.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 6 of 9, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might do it when I have to flash my BIOS, since a couple of the cards will have to be freed to do so.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 7 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry to just dig this old thread up, but would any of you happen to have the bios for that board or is anyone able to create a .rom from his board? I was able to message 7cjbill2 but he says he is no longer in posession of this board.

Thank you for any help! 😊

Reply 8 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the emulation forum. for actual old hardware ask in Marvin General Old Hardware

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers