VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While looking around to see if it’s possible to get EAX4 working on a 1st gen Audigy card I came across this instead.

The kx project drivers support any device using an EMU10K1 EMU10K2 so that’s SB Live through Audigy 4 range (minus a few value/oem options)

The last version that supports Win98 is kxdrv3537-full.exe which can be found here
http://www.roxysoft.com/drivers/kX-Project-Au … -driver-update/

It has its own installer which ran ok but after restart I got a message that it couldn’t initialise & device manager complains “device loader could not load this device” another search on the net found the fix.

Delete the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\kx.sys
Copy the file c:\program files\kX Project\3537\kx98.sys into c:\windows\system32\drivers
Rename the kx98.sys just copied to the drivers folder to kx.sys
Reboot!

Win98 support was dropped when Vista & now 7 was supported so may work to get your Live! Cards working in Vista & above, but again I haven’t tried this.

I’ve been using it all day now just listing to winamp, it does a few strange things like switching between PC’s on the KVM makes the music skip a beat & the volume control in Winamp 2.95 doesn’t work, but windows tray works ok. This may be my Pc as it’s not the cleanest 98 install anymore & I haven’t tweaked any settings (Which there are loads)

It’s major downfall though is no support for EAX as its aimed more at music recording

Their website is http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

Reply 1 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know about Audigy 4 but Audigy 2 Platinum Ex and older have 98SE drivers on their install CDs. The ZX (and maybe the others) even comes with both VXD and WDM drivers and a utility to sswitch between them. VXD works best with games but the WDM drivers get you EQ support among other things. EAX 4 and down is supported and works as I found with NFS3.

So you just need to find the CD image for the specific card or get somebody to upload what you need.

Audigy cards have far better analog signal quality than any Live btw. Noticed it immediately because I use headphones.

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I downloaded the iso image from here twice & it didnt work, looked around on the net & loads of other people were having the same problem without a fix. Even the Creative site is missing 9x drivers but still has drivers for the Audigy so I guessed it was a XP & later card.
Tried again today using the 2nd mirror & it works fine, yay EAX for Win98!

Reply 3 of 5, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Creative likes to make life hard by having very picky installers. They particularly screw you over if your card is an OEM only model. You would probably have to customize INFs to get the drivers to install.

Good to hear you got it working!

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say it most likely got corrupt during the d/l more then the original zip file as I simply used the 2nd mirror from here & everything worked fine, both files based off the original upload from WolverineDK