VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had this nagging problem for a few days now and I just can't seem to find a solution to it.
I have the following system set up:

Athlon XP 2600+ (266FSB)
512MB DDR RAM (333MHz but runs at 266MHz)
Gigabyte GA-7VTXE (updated with the latest bios)
Voodoo 5500 AGP
SB Live Value!
Aureal Vortex 2 + DB60XG
Western Digital 80GB
Some Sony DVD-ROM
Windows ME

The machine runs pretty fine but I'd like to swap the Voodoo 5500 for a GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP and a Voodoo 3 PCI. So I did just that and the system would hang for no apparent reason. Even safe mode would hang after a little while. Tried a new installation of Windows ME, hanged during installation, so I was pretty sure it was either RAM or IRQ conflict (so many cards!!!). I swapped RAM and removed all other cards except for the Ti4200 and although I got it to install successfully, and installed the two audio cards it hanged again!
Obviously I was beginning to get really pissed off, I tried removing the sound cards and installing them in different slots, tried leaving only one in there and in the end removed them all together once again and it still hanged on me. So, I was pretty sure by now that the problem was the GeForce card. I swapped it for a 6600 GT AGP (kind of an overkill for what I wanted to do but it could do the job). Tried a clean install and it hanged on me again. The Voodoo 5 was rocking fast (ok relatively fast, this is a Voodoo 5 you know 😁), so I thought it must be some incompatibility with the Nvidia cards and the motherboard. I gave up and installed the Voodoo 5 again and have not touched the system since.
What has occured to me in the last couple of days though is that the problem may be caused by the PSU. It is rated 350 watts and it seems to give sufficient Amps on the Volt Rails, however maybe it has aged too much. I'd have to go through a lot of hassle to get another one and then do all the work of installing Windows again, so I'd like to hear your opinion. Could the PSU really be the problem? What else should I try? ( I have tried CMOS Reset by the way, more than once too! 😁)

Reply 1 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember that Vogons user prophase_j recommended PSUs with at least 30 amps on the 5 volt rail for high powered Athlon mobos. How many amps does your PSU's 5 volt rail provide?

Reply 3 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The PSU is your problem. Try looking on ebay for Enermax and ThermalTake PSUs from around the year 2003. When I was looking for them about a year ago, I had no problems in finding them. Eg ThermalTake PurePower 480W, or Enermax - I think the good ones have the code number 465 in them. Either of those PSUs have about 40 amps on the 5 volt rail. Great for high powered Athlon systems, such as yours. Good luck.

Reply 5 of 33, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium 4 boards were designed differently to the Athlon boards. They require a 12V PSU connector to feed power to the CPU. Luckily, you don't need lots of amps on the 5V rail with P4s.

Reply 7 of 33, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a few gfx questions before I go work on the car.

I've read about others that do both cards in a machine. Can probably use bios to tell with gfx card to use. What do you do about monitor output or driver conflicts? Also Alienware had sold some pc's that had a proprietary system to use a tnt2 and v3 in the same rig... how did they make that happen?

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 8 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh that's easy and very convenient. I only know how to do it with an AGP and a PCI card only though, not sure if it can be done with 2 pci cards. Basically, you have to go to the BIOS setting "Init first: AGP/PCI" You select whichever you want, plug the monitor cable accordingly and there you go. You install the drivers individually for each card and Windows recognise only one card at a time, so no driver conflicts!

Reply 9 of 33, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I was thinking it would go that way. So it won't have irq conflicts?

I was thinking like a kvm switch for the monitors or some monitor switch so you don't have to play with the vga cable.

Now I'm thinking of installing a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 AGP and a voodoo 3 2000 PCI for fun. Maybe even a Voodoo 5 5500 PCI 😉

Reply 11 of 33, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool. I ordered a 4 port VGA switch off ebay for $9. Will give it a shoot when it arrives.

As for your PSU. I had bought a Rosewill 350W ATx 1.3 from newegg that supports 35A@5v
Its OOS currently but if you live in the states check it out. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16817182006

Reply 12 of 33, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea the late Athlon boards sucked down the 5v line like nobody's business. A LOT of boards even required the aux power connector! I'm not talking about the 4 pin 12v line, but a 6 pin At style connector.

I'm really apprehensive to let the secret out, but "back in the day" they made a power supply from some random Taiwan company., Superflower. They are still around and make a very good power supply. That being said they are hard to get in the states. But their first supplies were cheap and actually very reliable. They had MASSIVE 5V and 5VSB rails. Here is a review to their largest supply: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/ca … _QuadFan_1.html

You read right. 52A on the 5V line. They usually come in weird colors. I just bought a green 450W one not too long ago. I watch ebay for these guys, because they are rather un-common. But worth it if you find one that wasn't abused.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I live in Europe, Greece in particular, so importing PSUs is going to cost quite a bit, since they're not light. I was reading another topic I created last year about another Athlon board that I owned and I said that I had a PSU with 40A on the 5V rail. I think I know where that PSU is, I'll look for it and see if it works! In the end, I might as well scrap it all and just go for a Pentium 4 at 2.4 GHz or something.

Reply 15 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use older FPS PSU's for my Athlon rigs. The 300W ones usually have around 30A on the 5V line but only 13A/15A or 18A on the 12V line.
They aren't suitable for high end graphics cards though. These PSU's are (or were) relatively easy to find second hand for peanuts here in The Netherlands.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After an excessive amount of tests, I've come to the conclusion that the PSU is not the problem here. I've tried a plethora of PSUs, one with 30A on the 5V rail, another with 34, another with 40 and a couple of other ones at 26A. All of them hang during Windows installation with all the cards installed.
I thought that it may be some kind of IRQ conflict, so I removed all cards other than the GeForce 4 Ti4200, and although I managed to install WinME successfully, it hanged once during the installation and then corrupted my setup after a couple of restarts. Windows Protection Error screens started appearing too... I should note that the board had about 6 bulged capacitors which I replaced successfully (seemingly at least, it worked great with the Voodoo 5).
So the system works fine with the Voodoo 5 but will not work with any Nvidia card that I own... What the hell, have I run into some kind of incompatibility?
I'll install the Athlon XP 1600+ back in and see where it gets me, but I can't say I have high hopes.
What a load of shit, these Athlons have always been a load of trouble...

Reply 17 of 33, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My AMD 750 mobo will freeze up with WinME if I install most virtual CD apps. Daemon Tools prevents it from booting in fact. 98SE works fine.

Have you tried 98? Or 2K, XP? Could be some sort of old crappy ACPI problem.

BTW, here's a thrilling article about ATX power supplies and how the rails have changed over the years.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psurailhistory/rails.html

Reply 18 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't even have a chance to install anything like that! Daemon Tools used to do that for me as well, last time I checked.
I just don't get it. How the the hell can it work fine with a Voodoo 5 and not any GeForce card? Can this be an ACPI problem?