VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, is it any good? - the chipset is Tseng ET3000AX. Thanks for any info.

BTW, has the VGA connector always had 15 pins?

Attachments

• vid.jpg
    Filename
    vid.jpg
    File size
    71.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

5 clock signals? 🤣
I think this is not a normal VGA card... any model info?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say so. I have a couple of dual EGA/VGA cards myself.
VGA is 15 pin and EGA/CGA/MDA/Hercules are 9 pin.
You'll need to set the DIP switches for the correct output mode, maybe stason.org will have the settings.

EDIT: keropi's got a point, 5 crystals on that card is unusual. But without seeing a circuit diagram who knows what they do?
My ATI Wonder EGA card has two crystals, I've seen some other EGA cards with three. Perhaps the extra crystals are there for the different sync rates of VGA? or they could just be for the card's video RAM or something else.

Reply 3 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a thought occurred on the crystal usage DK described:
what if the card uses crystals depending on user selection?
for example 2 for vga and 3 for ega mode...?
either that or the extra crystals are for the 9pin output that is for some custom use or something...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 22, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early model VGA Wonders have 4 crystals as far as I know.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having several crystals on an early VGA/EGA card is not uncommon at all. Just check a few cards from 1988 to 1990.
RG100: This card looks quite usual. Socketed RAM, Odd/Even BIOS and DAC. Just compare with this Trident f.e. and you'll see: http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/trident_8800cs.jpg

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

funny enough I found this in my box-o-cards:

30swn12.jpg

4 clock signals... crazy! :p

Reply 11 of 22, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
DonutKing wrote:

Do you mean for DOSBOX? I have a spare I could donate to the cause.... its just a crappy old Paradise.

Well i couldn't hook it up to a VGA screen anyway. Doesn't seem there are many people who still have a working ega setup. Would be nice if there's someone that could at least run some test applications to see if the EGA really had a different palette in certain modes compared to what the VGA sets them up with.

Reply 12 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

Doesn't seem there are many people who still have a working ega setup.

Well, whats not presently available might be just assembled on demand. You have to decide though, what EGA or VGA/EGA card you'd like.

Reply 13 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Harekiet wrote:
DonutKing wrote:

Do you mean for DOSBOX? I have a spare I could donate to the cause.... its just a crappy old Paradise.

Well i couldn't hook it up to a VGA screen anyway. Doesn't seem there are many people who still have a working ega setup. Would be nice if there's someone that could at least run some test applications to see if the EGA really had a different palette in certain modes compared to what the VGA sets them up with.

well I do have a working EGA rig and I'd be happy to run whatever tests you need 😀

Reply 14 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I for one approve of testing EGA cards for further DOSbox development.

/Just continuing the "well" theme.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 22, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, we all had a good laugh. Now back to work everybody, helping retro 100 and harekiet

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 22, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, I have two EGA clones and a sufficient number of monitors...

A large number of crystal oscillators just indicates that it is a SVGA card from before they started using PLLs. A non-SVGA already has 2 of them.

1+1=10

Reply 18 of 22, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

Also, is it any good? - the chipset is Tseng ET3000AX. Thanks for any info.

Usual VGA/EGA combo card with 512kB memory from 1987. My bench results are:
8,7fps - quake 320x240
3,9fps - quake 360x480
5,9fps - pcpbench 640x400
23,1fps - pcpbench 320x200

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 19 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

to see if the EGA really had a different palette in certain modes compared to what the VGA sets them up with.

Along with that there are some funny side effects of games having added palette modifications for vga cards
whereas ega modes are used (and the games worked on ega), best remembered the warlords colors
for different parties (somebody even wrote them down here: http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=36762&type=software ).