VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by omarsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DonutKing wrote:
I'd say so. I have a couple of dual EGA/VGA cards myself. VGA is 15 pin and EGA/CGA/MDA/Hercules are 9 pin. You'll need to set t […]
Show full quote

I'd say so. I have a couple of dual EGA/VGA cards myself.
VGA is 15 pin and EGA/CGA/MDA/Hercules are 9 pin.
You'll need to set the DIP switches for the correct output mode, maybe stason.org will have the settings.

EDIT: keropi's got a point, 5 crystals on that card is unusual. But without seeing a circuit diagram who knows what they do?
My ATI Wonder EGA card has two crystals, I've seen some other EGA cards with three. Perhaps the extra crystals are there for the different sync rates of VGA? or they could just be for the card's video RAM or something else.

Does anyone have the dip switches and the jumper settings for this dual VGA/EGA card? I have one identical card and I can only get it to display monochrome on a LCD monitor!

Reply 21 of 22, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
omarsis wrote:

I have one identical card and I can only get it to display monochrome on a LCD monitor!

Trident cards automatically switch to mono VGA mode if they don't like the display attached during boot (or no display, or KVM switch). Try a CRT.

By the way I have a PC Chips EGA card which I use with a CGA monitor (so no 640x350).

Reply 22 of 22, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has nothing to do with "liking", it is just old VGA color detection pins reused as DDC serial communication with the monitor. So if old cards try to detect the type of monitor with the old VGA standard method and you attached a DDC capable monitor they will get no reliable signal. Result is they start randomly in monochrome mode.

But there is a tool called "coloron.com" which changes the detected monitor type after boot.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool