VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

Doing some changes here, and I would appreciate some extra knowledge 😁 , here is what I am trying to accomplish:
I am adding win98se to my p200mmx machine that only had DOS until now...
Will replace the 20GB HDD with a 80GB one and have 2 partitions: 20GB for DOS and the rest for 98SE , both are FAT32 partitions.
I want to have a boot manager to either choose DOS or win98 and have the other partition not accessible (hidden that is...) , so when I boot DOS the win98 partition is not accessible and vise versa...
I have already found GAG and XOSL but maybe someone here knows a better option?
GUI is not really that important , it needs to be able to hide partitions and not have a gazillion of advanced disk editing options like some managers I have seen...
thanks for any info! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 11, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can do this with GRUB4DOS, the best way is to install it to the MBR and make a config file on the first partition:

title DOS
unhide (hd0,0)
hide (hd0,1)
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

title Windows 98
hide (hd0,0)
unhide (hd0,1)
root (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
boot

Reply 3 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks for your recommendations, I will test both and just go with the one that I like the best... 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

Will replace the 20GB HDD with a 80GB one and have 2 partitions: 20GB for DOS and the rest for 98SE , both are FAT32 partitions.

You mean MS-DOS? How do you plan to use that with a FAT32 partition? MS-DOS can only use FAT16, with a partition limit of 2 GB.

keropi wrote:

I want to have a boot manager to either choose DOS or win98 and have the other partition not accessible (hidden that is...) , so when I boot DOS the win98 partition is not accessible and vise versa...

Just so you know, there's no particular advantage to hiding the partitions. The way MS-DOS and Win98 works, if you don't hide the other partition, then the partition you boot off will always end up as C and the other partition will always end up as D. (With Windows 2000 and later, it's a different story.)

Also, MS-DOS will never be able to see the FAT32 partition anyway, unless you use a driver like drfat32.

Reply 5 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

You mean MS-DOS? How do you plan to use that with a FAT32 partition? MS-DOS can only use FAT16, with a partition limit of 2 GB.

I am using my "very own" ripped standalone DOS from win98SE that has native FAT32 support. Already served me several years in 2/3/486 machines without probs.
I need to keep OSes seperate because they are already setup'ed the way I like them: DOS with all my games running from HDD with several tricks and win98 for win98 stuff. I don't want to mix them or having them access one another.

Reply 6 of 11, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Symantec Boot Magic.
The only trouble is - last versions are part of the Partition Magic...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

update:
I have found that PLOP works best for me , check it out here: http://www.plop.at

thanks for all the recommendations ! 😁

Reply 8 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PLOP is good. I found that some systems are not friendly with PLOP and causes reboot loops.

I tend to use Smart Boot Manager first before trying out PLOP.
(On the otherhand, SBM does NOT seem to be very friendly with newer systems.)

Currently using Smart Boot Manager in my AMD K6-II 550 system with two hard disks, Dos 6.22 and Win95c.

Here's a closer look at SBM : Smart Boot Manager - A Closer Look --- *Updated*.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Malik:
isn't it from the same person that made Smart FDISK? it is awesome!
will look at it as well, plenty of test hdd's here 😁

Reply 10 of 11, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

update:
I have found that PLOP works best for me , check it out here: http://www.plop.at

Thanks for mentioning this. Plop Linux looks really nice too. Modern kernel and 486 support? Awesome! This is going to replace DSL for me for sure.

BTW, Plop (the boot loader) supports booting from USB. This may be a poor man's alternative to a CF to IDE setup. Any idea how well that works?

Reply 11 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't tried it but AFAIK booting from USB is in read-only mode...