VOGONS Driver Library

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

Whoa I didn't know that. Sorry about that (I should'vs read that). I'll start using 7z instead of executables. I don't think you should accept exe's even from small groups! You really shouldn't! TBH don't.

Not a problem.

You're probably right. I couldn't think of a reason to keep blocking them, but I have no imagination.

Did you want an account so you can just upload stuff yourself?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 321 of 1461, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please enlighten me why we can't have EXE files? Most of the old driver/patches are executable ZIP files. Would be great to directly upload these.

If people wanted to include harmful stuff in the files then they can just ZIP or RAR them and upload. I don't see why it needs to be blocked.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 322 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Please enlighten me why we can't have EXE files? Most of the old driver/patches are executable ZIP files. Would be great to directly upload these.

If people wanted to include harmful stuff in the files then they can just ZIP or RAR them and upload. I don't see why it needs to be blocked.

I'm still not totally sure, I guess it's just "best practice"? Services like Gmail and OneDrive have restrictions on EXE files.

Personally I'm ambivalent towards blocking or allowing, If y'all think it's probably OK, I'll unblock them.

Reply 323 of 1461, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still not totally sure, I guess it's just "best practice"?

Hangover from when (still?) Windows would hide extensions by default. Hence you'd get stuff like "ReadMe.doc.exe" uploaded or mailed

It's certainly not a bad thing that your habits lean to caution, but yeah that must have been a classic "Wait, just why am /I/ doing /this/?"

Reply 324 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I understand why we *used* to do it.

I'll leave them unblocked for now. If it ever becomes a problem, it won't take long to fix.

Reply 325 of 1461, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Yeah, I understand why we *used* to do it.

My bad, sorry. I did think you must know, but the way you were repeating it above sounded like the original reason had faded to something you couldn't quite put your finger on.

Reply 327 of 1461, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A quick question about the gog.com ad: do you get money for showing the bar, or for clicks as well? In the second case, it might be a good idea for us to click on it as a gesture of good will. I do it all the time on the websites I like, to help the admins maintain them.

Reply 328 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

A quick question about the gog.com ad: do you get money for showing the bar, or for clicks as well? In the second case, it might be a good idea for us to click on it as a gesture of good will. I do it all the time on the websites I like, to help the admins maintain them.

Nah, not a GOG affiliate, I just put it there because the bottom of the page looked a bit bare. 😜

Reply 329 of 1461, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a bunch of Creative CDs, but all for newer cards. I'm thinking if we upload this stuff now then we don't have to chase them down in 10 years time 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 330 of 1461, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speaking of that, is any of this useful? I don't have the experience to tell. The disk came with a CX4235 card.

Attachments

Reply 331 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah dude, send it on in!

In other news, I added a "Donate" link to the side bar.

I want to stress that donating is completely voluntary and gives no benefits other than a warm fuzzy feeling inside, my sincere gratitude, and a cool star next to your name on file stats screens if you're a contributor.

Reply 332 of 1461, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uploaded an ATI Radeon 7500/8500 install CD rip sent to me by mirh. Maybe a bit newer than the usual fare, but seemed interesting enough.
Most files from it date from 09-28-2001 or before, though some folders date from 11-28-2001 or before.
Most other metadata regarding this CD has been lost, so if you're able to discover more about it and you have a VOGONSDrivers account, feel free to edit the entry.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=703

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 333 of 1461, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Annnnnd it's live.

NVidia NV1 SDK 1.50 has been uploaded:
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=706

This is the conclusion of a twelve-year quest for me:
NV-1 Emulation

Many thanks to my source (no, he doesn't have anything else NV1-related.)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 335 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Site updates!!

Category browsing now has a page-flipping thing. You can pick 25, 50, or 100 items per page, and navigate between pages.

Backend was overhauled to use the MySQLi PHP library with prepared statements, was previously some hand-crafted string-sanitisation code, and intval($var).

There were a LOT of code changes, so be sure to let me know if you bump into any issues.

Reply 336 of 1461, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

a page-flipping thing.

Um... [very politely] is this an improvement?

The entries are just txt, so we can have several hundred and not bog a browser at all. Getting everything per catagory on one page means you only have to do a page-search once. Since titles are slightly haphazard, doing page-searches seems to be a regular thing to me.

Reply 337 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was a feature that was asked for way-back-when.

I could add is a "show all" button, would that help?

Reply 339 of 1461, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anybody else have any thoughts on this? If people aren't hot on the idea I can just change it back, no big deal.