VOGONS Driver Library

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 1466, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

OK, going to set up these extra categories today. Is "Yamaha" supposed to be a 3D Accelerator type, or is that for sound cards?

Thanks for doing this!

Yep! It makes more sense to list 3D accelerators by the chips that power the cards, and there's a really rare 3D accelerator called the Paradise Tasmania 3D (that NitroX Infinity coincidentally has 😉) that uses a 3D video accelerator chip made by Yamaha (YGV612 "RPA2").
3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)

For now, sound cards make more sense to list by card manufacturer rather than chip manufacturer.

Unless someone disagrees with me?

[EDIT]
After a first glance through, I'd remove for now:
3D Accelerator - Creative VLB (this uses a 3Dlabs chipset)
3D Accelerator - Number Nine
3D Accelerator - SiS
3D Accelerator - XGI
Sound Drivers - Roland Synth/MPU

and add:
3D Accelerator - Alliance
3D Accelerator - Bitboys / TriTech
3D Accelerator - Chromatic
3D Accelerator - Cirrus Logic
3D Accelerator - Intel
3D Accelerator - Intergraph
3D Accelerator - Silicon Motion
3D Accelerator - Yamaha
Sound Drivers - Adlib
Sound Drivers - Avance Logic
Sound Drivers - Aztech Labs
Sound Drivers - C-Media
Sound Drivers - Guillemot
Sound Drivers - Microsoft

Also, "Media Vision" is spelled with a space between "Media" and "Vision".

If anyone has suggestions for categories for the Uncategorized, let us know: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=2
Looks like SCSI, Mouse, CPU and Storage might take care of a lot of it.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 241 of 1466, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
After a first glance through, I'd remove for now: 3D Accelerator - Creative VLB (this uses a 3Dlabs chipset) 3D Accelerator - Nu […]
Show full quote

After a first glance through, I'd remove for now:
3D Accelerator - Creative VLB (this uses a 3Dlabs chipset)
3D Accelerator - Number Nine
3D Accelerator - SiS
3D Accelerator - XGI
Sound Drivers - Roland Synth/MPU

Why Number Nine? They used S3 (and other) chips on many of their cards, but they also had their own chips. Is it because there are no drivers yet? Same with SiS and XGI?

Reply 242 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I deleted those categories for now, if we change our minds it's trivial to put them back, so just say the word.

I also added the extras listed. The list is getting kinda long, I think on the weekend I'll look into a collapsing tree view type thing.

Also, I fixed that issue that was causing the "Artist Graphics" driver titles to go out of alignment, as I expected it was just a small CSS tweak.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 243 of 1466, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3D Accelerator - Creative VLB

I'll upload my driver disks if you would like. So you can keep the category.

3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 244 of 1466, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm kinda asking again, what would be better to do with a CDROM full of drivers of all kinds?
Upload them in parts? Or just upload the whole thing?

And if I upload the whole thing, would it be possible to also upload a small textfile with the contents of the full upload?

It doesn't appear that driver disk is from any one particular hardware company (it might have been from a magazine or something) and I am willing to take my time in uploading the possibly more interesting or harder to find drivers 😀

Edit: And just for the record, I don't want to sound unfriendly or anything but sometimes my English is kinda weird after I've typed it 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 245 of 1466, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

But... it's a 3Dlabs chipset, is it not?

Stiletto

Reply 246 of 1466, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

I deleted those categories for now, if we change our minds it's trivial to put them back, so just say the word.

I also added the extras listed. The list is getting kinda long, I think on the weekend I'll look into a collapsing tree view type thing.

Also, I fixed that issue that was causing the "Artist Graphics" driver titles to go out of alignment, as I expected it was just a small CSS tweak.

Excellent work, SquallStrife. And I was about to recommend a collapsing thing. 😀

[EDIT] Okay, everything's using the new categories. Can't tell ya how much going one-by-one and changing them to the right categories soothed my mild OCD or whatever. 😉

The only things left in "3D Accelerator" and "Sound Cards" without categories are either driver CD images that support a ton of different hardware (only way to support this would be tags instead of categories), and also what are currently one-offs on VogonsDrivers.

Stiletto

Reply 247 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
I'm kinda asking again, what would be better to do with a CDROM full of drivers of all kinds? Upload them in parts? Or just uplo […]
Show full quote

I'm kinda asking again, what would be better to do with a CDROM full of drivers of all kinds?

And if I upload the whole thing, would it be possible to also upload a small textfile with the contents of the full upload?

It doesn't appear that driver disk is from any one particular hardware company (it might have been from a magazine or something) and I am willing to take my time in uploading the possibly more interesting or harder to find drivers 😀

Edit: And just for the record, I don't want to sound unfriendly or anything but sometimes my English is kinda weird after I've typed it 😵

Very sorry if I missed your question previously... 🙁

Yes, happy to have all manner of massive multi-device driver CDs (relative to vintage gaming, of course!). Just upload the whole thing, put it in the closest category (e.g. 3D Accelerators, Sound Cards, or Uncategorized is fine too, that's why it's there!) There's a description field which is as long as you like (around 64KB), you can copy-paste the contents of the text file into that field, and it'll be displayed alongside the file when someone clicks on it.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2014-02-19, 22:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 248 of 1466, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:
vetz wrote:

But... it's a 3Dlabs chipset, is it not?

Yes it is.. Just didn't see 3DLabs in your list (but I see it is available on the site)

3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 249 of 1466, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
I'm kinda asking again, what would be better to do with a CDROM full of drivers of all kinds? Upload them in parts? Or just uplo […]
Show full quote

Very sorry if I missed your question previously... 🙁

Yes, happy to have all manner of massive multi-device driver CDs (relative to vintage gaming, of course!). Just upload the whole thing, put it in the closest category (e.g. 3D Accelerators, Sound Cards, or Uncategorized is fine too, that's why it's there!) There's a description field which is as long as you like (around 64KB), you can copy-paste the contents of the text file into that field, and it'll be displayed alongside the file when someone clicks on it.

Cheers! Will do! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 251 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tinkering with a simple JS folding menu for our categories list, can y'all give it a burl and tell me if you like how it works?

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index2.php

Use the link above, as just going to vogonsdrivers.com will show the original site.

Things I'm aware of:

1. Yes, it's ugly right now, I'l fix the CSS before it becomes permanent, the bounding box around each item will be gone.
2. Yes, the icons can be changed. I'm just using the out-of-the-box defaults here for testing. I've attached them, so if someone wants to make some themed versions, please do!
3. Yes, I wish the section you're in would stay expanded too. I'm working on that! 😉
4. Yes, it goes away if you click on a file link, it *only* appears on index2.php for now.

As always, feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Attachments

• Filename
    icons.zip
    File size
    2.72 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 253 of 1466, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any desire to have ISOs of original restore discs for OEM systems? I have several lying around that I was going to dump but if it's something we want to include on the driver site, I can image them and upload for anyone who may want them.

Would that be a usable suggestion for another file category?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 254 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Is there any desire to have ISOs of original restore discs for OEM systems? I have several lying around that I was going to dump but if it's something we want to include on the driver site, I can image them and upload for anyone who may want them.

Would that be a usable suggestion for another file category?

OEM system restore disks usually contain licensed installations of operating systems. As such, I'd err on the side of not having them on the site. Sorry man. 🙁

Reply 255 of 1466, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh, was just a thought. I may put them up on my own webspace and if anyone wants them they can contact me privately I guess.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 256 of 1466, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking on the library, but I haven't found any network drivers... why?

Also, I've uploaded a CD from a magazine with a collection of old drivers. If anyone is interested in looking through it to see what can be uploaded, please send me a pm.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 257 of 1466, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NitroX infinity wrote:

I'd increase the font-size.

The rectangles around everything are a bit annoying too.

Stiletto

Reply 258 of 1466, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have here a set of original MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum drivers, and have scanned a photocopy of its manual. How do I upload drivers to Vogonsdrivers? I cannot login there with my Vogons credentials. Also, where could I upload the PDF scan of manual? Is Vogonsdrivers only for the drivers, not manuals?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city