VOGONS

VOGONS Driver Library

Topic actions

Reply 1200 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-09-20, 14:41:

I uploaded new version. Pleas dont download it, before Horun will give you go, because of stupid Dropbox download traffic limits:

I've got an upload folder on my FTP and I've got roughly 100GB free - if you want you can upload there, and then I'll move it to its own directory, so everyone can get it (if you wish so).

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
My home retro drivers repository: ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org

Reply 1201 of 1466, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an upload folder on my FTP and I've got roughly 100GB free - if you want you can upload there, and then I'll move it to its own directory, so everyone can get it (if you wish so).

If you have such possibility just download archives above, extract them, upload files to ftp.. and write here how we can read only connect to it and download files..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1202 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I have the first one, started second one. I can put any name on the Archive Org so will put yours when I can Upload them. Can only get about 7MB/sec DL from Dropbox so they will take about 10-15 minutes each.
I think it better to upload each one on separate page with Game info in the notes and name them all the 4 archives the same.
That way anyone can search for your name or "Windows 98" or "Game Collection" and see all four which would also make it easier to download being about 5-6Gb each.
Also Yes you can add more files to Archive in a separate 7zip but included in that page downloads.

added: Got them all, tested and passed 7zip as Good archives.
added 2: need to create a good image to include....will work up something...

added 3: Here is a preliminary post of the first part: https://archive.org/details/win-98-games-a-d.-7z
Let me know what you think, will add an image later...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1203 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-09-20, 23:13:

If you have such possibility just download archives above, extract them, upload files to ftp.. and write here how we can read only connect to it and download files..

Ok, I will during the day then. Will post the link later.

EDIT: What would you like to include in a TXT file alongside the files?

EDIT2: I'lm also pondering on the possibilty of compressing each game individually - if anyone wants the full package, they can just leech the entire directory.

Cheers!

“Hey, you sass that hoopy MrWho? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

Reply 1205 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-09-21, 08:08:

Why not just upload this to Archive.org instead?

Why "instead"? Why not "also"?

Reply 1206 of 1466, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not just upload this to Archive.org instead?

Check discussion in past.. we already disused it, it has some disadvantages, but Horun will probably do it too.

Add text: Created by RuThaN - vogons.org

EDIT2: I'lm also pondering on the possibilty of compressing each game individually - if anyone wants the full package, they can just leech the entire directory.

With this you would created other problems:
1) You would have to add credits text file to every single game archive.
2) Afaik FTP is not most stable protocol and clients are not best.. and download less files is usually more fail proof.
3) Im not sure how extract of multiple 7zip files in multiple directories would work.. afaik you can extract multiple files at once if they in one directory.. but not if they are in subdirectories.. i never have to do it, it would require some not typical annoying 7zip operation..
So you would need to get rid of all subdirectories and place all archives in one directory without subdirectories, otherwise it would be PITA to use.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1207 of 1466, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

JetWay Motherboard J-7BXAN

I found Manual in DOC Format using Wayback machine so I created a PDF from it
+ Last Bios I found using WayBack Machine as well

Can someone put these files on the Vogons Driver Library ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Filename
    bxas2d01.zip
    File size
    116.69 KiB
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    J7BXAN.pdf
    File size
    856.48 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File license

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 1208 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-09-21, 10:25:
With this you would created other problems: 1) You would have to add credits text file to every single game archive. 2) Afaik […]
Show full quote

With this you would created other problems:
1) You would have to add credits text file to every single game archive.
2) Afaik FTP is not most stable protocol and clients are not best.. and download less files is usually more fail proof.
3) Im not sure how extract of multiple 7zip files in multiple directories would work.. afaik you can extract multiple files at once if they in one directory.. but not if they are in subdirectories.. i never have to do it, it would require some not typical annoying 7zip operation..
So you would need to get rid of all subdirectories and place all archives in one directory without subdirectories, otherwise it would be PITA to use.

Well, in my eyes FTP is much more stable for file transfers than HTTP, and it has the ability to resume interrupted downloads.
And since the monolithic version of the archive is already available elsewhere, I think this would be an advantage for people who only want a couple of demos to test the 3dfx card they just got off eBay.
As for the adding the txt file to every archive, that's no problem - I'll work out a batch file to take care of that.
I'll let you know so you can take a look before posting here the address.
Cheers!

Reply 1209 of 1466, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its not any secret, or anything what need to be kept from public.. if managed to make archives and it would be easily extractable.. its all what we need.

Reply 1210 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-09-21, 17:07:

Its not any secret, or anything what need to be kept from public.. if managed to make archives and it would be easily extractable.. its all what we need.

Of course, but as you're the original creator of this compilation, I wouldn't want anything to be done against your preference.

I've finally managed to create a batch file to compress each game individually. As soon as it's completed, I'll move them to the ftp server and post the link here.

Cheers!

Reply 1211 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote on 2021-09-21, 10:25:

Add text: Created by RuThaN - vogons.org

Am leary of adding anything pointing to Vogons at Archive .org with out the mods permission. Do understand doing that on a FTP.
Can you come up with an Image to add to your compiles ? Best would be a very clear 800x600 JPG file....
All done until you give some suggestions ..
https://archive.org/search.php?query=%22Windo … 20Collection%22

NyLan wrote on 2021-09-21, 10:31:
JetWay Motherboard J-7BXAN […]
Show full quote

Thanks

Thanks ! Will post them to library as soon as I can, in middle of doing other stuff 😀
Can you post the link that you found the BIOS ? It may contain information that should be included...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1212 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's up. You can check it @ ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org//GameDemos

RANT: Am I the only only p1ss3d that Mozilla and the others removed ftp support from their browsers? Incidentally, this is another reason why ftp is better for file downloads - if you try to open a website on a vintage computer with an outdated browser, it won't work - but an ftp server will work just fine (at least on XP - can someone test this on Win9x please?).

On modern hardware, I strongly recommend Filezilla Client.

Cheers!

Last edited by mrwho on 2021-09-22, 18:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1213 of 1466, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is exactly what i wanted, i can open it at least with within Avant Browser - which has IE/Firefox/Chrome cores.. and with default IE core its FTP still working.

Only missing thing, is some process for future updates.. to make possible to add other demos by other people and maybe change filename to add info about graphical APIs.. I dunno if you mind if someone would contact you with some updates etc.

Horun wrote:
Am leary of adding anything pointing to Vogons at Archive .org with out the mods permission. Do understand doing that on a FTP. […]
Show full quote

Am leary of adding anything pointing to Vogons at Archive .org with out the mods permission. Do understand doing that on a FTP.
Can you come up with an Image to add to your compiles ? Best would be a very clear 800x600 JPG file....
All done until you give some suggestions ..
https://archive.org/search.php?query=%22Windo … 20Collection%22

Thanks only problem is really archive size, for future updates at it would be really batter keep archives < 4 GB, i was lazy to do it myself, because of other more important things (very sick mother).

Reply 1214 of 1466, by mrwho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2021-09-22, 17:47:

That is exactly what i wanted, i can open it at least with within Avant Browser - which has IE/Firefox/Chrome cores.. and with default IE core its FTP still working.

Only missing thing, is some process for future updates.. to make possible to add other demos by other people and maybe change filename to add info about graphical APIs.. I dunno if you mind if someone would contact you with some updates etc.

People can either upload it to the #upload folder and then let me know via PM here or PM me with a link to where I can get it. The only limits are my free time and the free space on the server (currently running off a 320Gb HD, but I can easily expand it when needed).

Best regards and hope your mother gets well soon!

Reply 1215 of 1466, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all.

Otherwise i only want to note, that i like would to migrate it into community shared project, so all reasonable uploads are welcomed, only credit what i want to take is that i started it.. 325 Win9x demos on 1 place easy to download is not bad start:)

Reply 1216 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrwho wrote on 2021-09-22, 07:03:

It's up. You can check it @ ftp://retro:drivers@mrwho.duckdns.org//GameDemos

RANT: Am I the only only p1ss3d that Mozilla and the others removed ftp support from their browsers? Incidentally, this is another reason why ftp is better for file downloads - if you try to open a website on a vintage computer with an outdated browser, it won't work - but an ftp server will work just fine (at least on XP - can someone test this on Win9x please?).

Yeah I can still open many FTP sites with Firefox v78.0.2 (64bit) with FF updates disabled. I will not update it to anything above due to the lack of ftp support.....and being behind two firewalls (hardware+software) and AV apps am not concerned about it ever getting hacked 🤣

ruthan wrote on 2021-09-22, 17:47:

Thanks only problem is really archive size, for future updates at it would be really batter keep archives < 4 GB, i was lazy to do it myself, because of other more important things (very sick mother).

I can fix that, just wanted to get them uploaded first. I can alter the contents and create < 4GB parts. Would create about 2 or 3 more archive pages but sounds like a good idea to keep them below DVD rom size.
Hope your mom is OK, mine is 85 and has many health issues and check on her daily...

Reply 1217 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NyLan wrote on 2021-09-21, 10:31:
JetWay Motherboard J-7BXAN […]
Show full quote

Thanks

Found the BIOS at J-Mark archive but after reading this: http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=86030 I would be wary to try it as it seems it is only for the 1MB bios and some boards had 2Mb bios:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010428123828/htt … load/d7BXAS.htm

Reply 1218 of 1466, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I was about to buy this mobo but I gave up 😀

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 1219 of 1466, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just noticed that I've never posted some information I have for my Matsonic build if someone can post them as well 😀

Manual

Filename
ms7112c.pdf
File size
1.2 MiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File license

Latest Bios : 06302k.BIN (06-30-2000)
Old Bios ( the One I had ) : old.bin

Filename
Matsonic 7112c.zip
File size
305.89 KiB
Downloads
49 downloads
File license

Personal GitHub