VOGONS Driver Library

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: VOGONS Driver Library

Postby ntalaec » 2019-4-12 @ 14:22

appiah4 wrote:
ntalaec wrote:Anyone has the CD included with Sound Blaster 16 Pro CT2950 (ISA)?

The files in the CD should have dates around late 1995 or begging of 1996.

I have an SB16 Value CD dated therearounds I will check nezt time I go to the storage.

Hi, appiah4. Could you check it?

I still own the card, but I lost the CD. I remember it had several applications, but I only remember Creative Text Assist (a text to speech program). I think the CD also had audio tracks.
ntalaec

Postby appiah4 » 2019-4-12 @ 22:07

I’ll check and post on Sunday or Monday.
A500:+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
i386:Am386SX-25|4M|TVGA9000B|Gold-16
i486:U5SX-33|8M|GD5428|CT2290/S2
i586:P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
i686:K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
S370:P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
S754:A3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
appiah4
l33t

Postby ntalaec » 2019-4-13 @ 07:10

appiah4 wrote:I’ll check and post on Sunday or Monday.

Thanks!
ntalaec

Postby SquallStrife » 2019-4-18 @ 05:13

Stiletto wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:I figured since it really isn't driver related I wouldn't upload it to vogonsdrivers. Maybe we should have a manuals section on vogonsdrivers for vintage/retro gear.. that would be nice.

There is a manuals section on VOGONSDrivers but it isn't completely clear what it should be used for. Some people have used it for more than just driver manuals.

Any kind of manual that's vintage PC related is fine.

Obviously it should be on-theme, we don't need manuals for printers, scanners, or.... I dunno... fax machines? It's VOGONS Drivers, the G in VOGONS is for Games.

That said, manuals for games probably aren't a good fit either, there's a place for them on archive.org. I know we have a few already, but.... yeah I dunno. Tough call to make.

The whole site could do with some curating, I started working on a SQL query to pick up the most common items needing attention (such as files with "No Description Entered"), just haven't had time to make that into something digestible yet.

Edit: Speaking of which, I just deleted a bunch of LITERAL PRINTER AND SCANNER DRIVERS. No bueno.
VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread
[retro swim] | Link | Release Thread
Twice-weekly silliness on Twitch!! http://www.twitch.tv/RetroSwim (8:30PM Fri+Mon AEST)
SquallStrife
l33t

Postby WarsawPact1955 » 2019-5-01 @ 21:32

I am new to Vogons. The thread sticky said to post here with submissions.

I have an Avance Logic ALS4000 driver CD that covers everything from DOS to Windows XP. Thought it might be useful to submit for that reason, alone. I am emplacing it in a node with a removable SSD that runs DOS+WFW 3.11 on one SSD, Windows 98SE on another, and Windows XP on yet another, so I needed a board that covered them all and just received it today. Crossed my fingers that it would cover DOS+Windows 3.x because nowhere on the box or even on the CD silkscreen does it claim that, but sure enough it does have those drivers. The eBay gamble paid off! :happy:

The link to the 182MB archive (.zip) containing the driver CD .iso, manual photos, and box art is: https://www.professionalservices.pro/SC ... rchive.zip

If a moderator would like to upload it, or I guess if not, would someone let me know the decision so I can remove it, afterward?
WarsawPact1955

Postby retardware » 2019-5-02 @ 04:11

SquallStrife wrote:Obviously it should be on-theme, we don't need manuals for printers, scanners, or.... I dunno... fax machines? It's VOGONS Drivers, the G in VOGONS is for Games.

Good to know... that explains why there is no software development related subforum, and the silence which follows any such request.

SquallStrife wrote:I just deleted a bunch of LITERAL PRINTER AND SCANNER DRIVERS. No bueno.

That said, much effort of various people to improve the general driver situation has probably been wasted.
For many people playing with old printers and scanners is part of the game.
Anyway, good to know that discussing my restoration and putting to use a fine 1980s Mutoh cutter plotter or even uploading the drivers won't be welcomed here, so I won't do that.

Thanks again for making clear that only gaming related stuff is welcomed on vogons, as I previously believed that the vogons' perspective would be wider than that.

Just one suggestion: could this information please be made more prominent, so that in future people won't bother uploading non-directly-gaming-related drivers on vogons anymore, in a misled belief that this would help conserve them for the community.
retardware
Oldbie

Postby SquallStrife » 2019-5-02 @ 05:01

Firstly, you're welcome to talk about your XY cutter here, in fact many would find it quite interesting! At the same time, VOGONS is indeed rather game-focussed (its main purpose is the official DOSBox support forum, after all!), so you might get more feedback/interest in your development questions somewhere like VCFed (formerly Vintage Computing Forum), whose area of discussion is vintage computing more generally speaking. Many of the people on here are also on VCFed and vice versa, there's no petty "us and them" stuff going on, neither forum is "better".

Next, the drivers site and the forum are completely independent. There is no official connection other than the pool of people contributing to it, and the colour scheme. The drivers site was created by me initially to be a mirror of Malik's Sound Blaster Drivers thread when megaupload went down. It evolved to be a "Drivers for getting retro gaming PCs working" repository. It was never intended to be a general-purpose archiving service, Archive.org exists for that.

Finally. FWIW, The drivers I deleted were for some random Samsung USB laser printers, and some USB handheld scanner. Not vintage, not gaming, not even remotely interesting. It's a judgement call, like most of the calls I make around the drivers site.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want to keep my site focused and on-topic, especially given the circumstances of its creation, when Archive.org and other such sites exist, and do a great job of storing everything for everyone. They can both exist, it's not a competition. Me providing this service to this community which I love and care for, doesn't prevent you or anyone else from creating a site as you see fit.

I hope your restoration project goes well, and I hope to read about it some day, whether that's here or somewhere else. :)
Twice-weekly silliness on Twitch!! http://www.twitch.tv/RetroSwim (8:30PM Fri+Mon AEST)
SquallStrife
l33t

Postby luckybob » 2019-5-02 @ 07:10

retardware wrote:Thanks again for making clear that only gaming related stuff is welcomed on vogons, as I previously believed that the vogons' perspective would be wider than that.

Man, I can just FEEL the sass coming through the monitor right now.

Here are the brass tacks for this and EVERY website on the earth.

have you seen the Futurama episode in season 1 where they goto the moon? Remember how Bender gets tossed out and exclaims "I'll make my own theme park, with blackjack and hookers!"

That applies here. Unless you are paying for the site, your opinion is worth squat. Now, I agree with you in principle, but in practice I'm with Squall. You want something different? Go make your own site, with your own money and put whatever you desire on it.

I mean honestly usb printer drivers? Scanner crap? Yea, that stuff isn't worth the time and effort.

Now if it was early plotter print drivers? I can see allowing those. Or some kind of printer that would have some sort of gaming purpose. afaik, those don't exist
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
luckybob
l33t

Postby appiah4 » 2019-5-02 @ 07:16

To be fair he was not advocating for reinstating USB printer drivers, he was debating the usefulness of preserving drivers for printing/plotting/imaging hardware that are decidedly vintage. Regardless, it's Squall's server and he does what he wants with it, and seems to have taken a very level headed approach if I may say so. You are kind of seeing more "sass" in the post than there actually was, I think. It was a fair point that got addressed fairly.

Is there a driver download site similar to Vogonsdrivers for say VCFED?
A500:+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
i386:Am386SX-25|4M|TVGA9000B|Gold-16
i486:U5SX-33|8M|GD5428|CT2290/S2
i586:P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
i686:K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
S370:P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
S754:A3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
appiah4
l33t

Postby retardware » 2019-5-02 @ 12:43

To avoid misunderstanding, I didn't know that the deletion of "printer/scanner drivers" was related to some new-ish USB stuff.
I was thinking of drivers for long-forgotten historic manufacturers like Centronics etc. when I read that.

I completely agree, USB stuff (except maybe USB drivers for pre-USB-OSes) is not vintage and should be left to the numerous ad-financed driver pages.
But what I would find a bit sad would be if peripheral drivers for stuff before common standards came up would be "banned".
Thinking of pre-ESC-P, pre-PCL and such stuff. Look, the pre-IDE CD reader stuff is all preserved for these soundcards "with IDE", for example. But what would then be with pre-USB hand scanners, which are seen not-so-rarely in the "I just bought this" thread - drivers welcome or not? Maybe another vogonsdriver folder for "other stuff"?

I find this relevant, because, what if some guy thinks it is sufficient to upload these drivers on vogons [only], with the consequence that these could get deleted and lost for the community.

What I mainly meant was that I'd like a more clear line, which is being considered as relevant vintage and which not.
I didn't see such (maybe I just overlooked it, though)

And I would like to say kudos to Squall and the others who keep Vogons up. Thumbs up! :)
(One suggestion though - could there be a [more prominent] hint how to support the site by donations?)
retardware
Oldbie

Postby gigigranvisir » 2019-5-04 @ 21:00

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.
As my interest to collecting retro hardware, I wish to contribute to this forum.
In 1999 I bought a Creative 3D Blaster Savage 4 PCI video card and since those times, I collected all the stuff related.

Here is the full archive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15YWpI ... -uFubSLCox

What is inside:
- Win9x Reference drivers by S3, with different core files including the latest one and an obscure version with anisotropic filtering capability
- Win 3.11 drivers
- Win2000/XP drivers, official and ChroMetal driver pack, supporting also other Savage family chips
- OpenGL ICD and MiniGL, various versions
- Metal driver, latest one and another version with 3DNow! support (no info about this)
- Savage 4 bios collection, including S3 reference and other manufacturers
- Creative original files (drivers and control panel)
- various tweakers
- Glide wrappers
- BeOS drivers
- Windows registry strings for different configurations
- Quake 3 configuration files
- Special INF file to be used when the Savage 4 is combined to a BT878 TV card

Glad to share, hope you find useful
gigigranvisir

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-5-05 @ 04:39

Just a heads up that the vogonsdrivers.com web upload and the process ftp uploads functions are not working.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-5-05 @ 04:55

Thought this might be interesting for people to know how to get to all drivers for specific categories and OSes on Dell without having to know the model number of the computer. Very useful for finding drivers that are for add-ons such as PCMCIA cards or for hardware that was used on multiple models but Dell either doesn't have a link for a specific driver or the link they have goes to a non-working version of the driver or the wrong driver.

Windows 95 sound drivers:
https://www.dell.com/Search/cr/en/crdhs ... igator~W95

Windows 3.1 sound drivers:
https://www.dell.com/Search/cr/en/crdhs ... igator~W31

MS-DOS sound drivers:
https://www.dell.com/Search/cr/en/crdhs1/support/drivers/results?filters=categoryidnavigator~AU%2Cdriversoscodenavigator~DOS

Here is the page that lets you select the category and OS you want the driver for:
https://www.dell.com/Search/cr/en/crdhs1/support/drivers/results

Windows 3.1 is not listed, but you can replace the very end of the URL after the ~ with W31 and that will bring up Windows 3.1.

DOS is also not listed. You can replace the selected OS after the ~ with DOS to bring up the DOS drivers.

Make sure to select the category before the OS so the OS will be at the end of the URL.

If you select the OS first, you can still mod the URL to get the right OS, it just isn't at the end... it will be right after
driversoscodenavigator~

Now, the links on these pages will not get you to the actual downloads. You will need to look at the Driver ID at the end of the link and then do a google search for:
Dell driverid

Doing that will bring up a working link.
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-5-06 @ 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby Stiletto » 2019-5-06 @ 01:39

cyclone3d wrote:Just a heads up that the vogonsdrivers.com web upload and the process ftp uploads functions are not working.

I just uploaded something 63KB through the web interface using Chrome and had no issue.
"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
Stiletto
l33t

Postby SquallStrife » 2019-5-06 @ 10:27

Stiletto wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:Just a heads up that the vogonsdrivers.com web upload and the process ftp uploads functions are not working.

I just uploaded something 63KB through the web interface using Chrome and had no issue.

There was an issue with the FTP Upload Processing page, this has been fixed. :)
SquallStrife
l33t

Postby cyclone3d » 2019-5-11 @ 21:03

Trying to upload a manual for the STB Soundrage 32 sound card right now. I put it in a zip and tried to upload via the web interface - tried both Chrome and Edge and getting this same exact error on both:
vogonsdrivers_upload_error.PNG
vogonsdrivers_upload_error.PNG (2.64 KiB) Viewed 334 times
cyclone3d
l33t

Postby WarsawPact1955 » 2019-5-13 @ 19:04

WarsawPact1955 wrote:I am new to Vogons. The thread sticky said to post here with submissions.

I have an Avance Logic ALS4000 driver CD that covers everything from DOS to Windows XP. Thought it might be useful to submit for that reason, alone. I am emplacing it in a node with a removable SSD that runs DOS+WFW 3.11 on one SSD, Windows 98SE on another, and Windows XP on yet another, so I needed a board that covered them all and just received it today. Crossed my fingers that it would cover DOS+Windows 3.x because nowhere on the box or even on the CD silkscreen does it claim that, but sure enough it does have those drivers. The eBay gamble paid off! :happy:

The link to the 182MB archive (.zip) containing the driver CD .iso, manual photos, and box art is: https://www.professionalservices.pro/SC ... rchive.zip

If a moderator would like to upload it, or I guess if not, would someone let me know the decision so I can remove it, afterward?

I'll go ahead and take this down. If a moderator wants to upload it later I can replace it...
WarsawPact1955

Postby Phantasm » 2019-5-13 @ 22:12

If you have a file or two to contribute, put it somewhere public (mega.co.nz, Dropbox, Google Drive, whatever) and post the link in this thread along with some details and a photo/image if you have one. Either myself or one of the rad people here will gladly upload the file if it's suitable.

Hi! I'm from Russia.)) I have some rare driver disks, and I would like to share with you here (specially registered on the forum for this).
Yamaha (Sound) YMF-724E&F + YMF719E

I also have these disks. If you need to share something - let me know!)
Good luck!)
Phantasm

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware