VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With posting my problem here iam hope finding a solution to let my harddisk work in my 8088-NEC V 20 system.

Iam trying to install compaq dos 3.31 on it but the system says there isnt a fixed disk..

I had downloaded the NEC T128 driver software package.
It contents the cd-rom driver installation + CDrom test program.
Musicbox software for the cd-rom pakage and a little test program that called
SCSITEST.. I have used that program to verify if the devices are working..

And it seems it would both passes the tests..
But if i want to install ms-dos on it or tried to fdisk the harddisk it wouldnt regonize any fixed disk in this system..

What could it be??

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

solved.

I think that the harddisk is dead... Needed serveral times to boot up.. Sometimes the harddisk would regonized. But mostly not..
I had one chance to partition it.. It wouldnt do more then 28.2MB in one partition or 14.1MB in two partitions.. When it needs to get do the partition it hangs long, the whole system is hanging..

When i reboot, then here is not harddisk detected... So i think its dead.. I go ask the seller for a refund..

The harddisk is a 80mb one.. only 28mb is a big loss..

Reply 2 of 10, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that any dos version older than 4, has a 32MB limit for partitions. However, 28.2 is smaller than that, so I don't know what happens there...

Reply 3 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah but COMPAQ DOS 3.31 DOES SUPPORT HIGHER Drives then 28.2MB

But the problem is, when i want to partition it a lot times when i boot the system, the fixed disk wouldnt be found when i start FASTART or FDISK.. And really very sometimes it sees the disk (need to put the system out and have some luck when it work..

Then i want to partition, it hangs......... and nothing doesnt happen anymore..

So the drive is really dead. DOA..

Reply 4 of 10, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder, why do you really want to use a scsi disk? I would recommend to find an XT-IDE card, and use a regular disk. Then it would make it easier for you to get a working disk, or even use a CF card.

Reply 6 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No disk problem is fixed i think..

I have installed ms-dos 6.22 on it for test purpose.. I have set an other drive address..

But the main problem cant partition more then 28.2MB is still here..

Its an IBM OEM drive used for Apple..

I removed the terminator from the cable and drive is working, iam think it had automatic termination.. But the only problem here is i cant use more then 28.2MB of this drive off 80MB full size.. Iam going to check this drive with an IBM disk utility... But further the harddisk is in working state..

Reply 7 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm thinking it's the DOS 3 limitation mentioned earlier because it is very close to the 32mb barrier. You may also have a lot of bad sectors that are automatically being blocked from access, lowering the capacity further. If you have a newer version of DOS (4 or higher) that you can install and test with, that might help. I used to use 4.01 with an 8088 system, so I know it is compatible.

Reply 8 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please, read beter. 1 post before i said i have also tested this harddisk with dos 6.22 and it gave me the same result.. Ms-dos 6.22 can support up 2GB drive sizes..

Or i think theres still some apple software on this disk.
Or the disk is almost dead
Or maybe controller from the scsi limitations..

Reply 10 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didnt see any other partitions. when fdisk the harddisk. But there could be some software on i think.
Its a used drive, so i dont know anything about that..

Iam also going to tests a other scsi host adapter the iam have laying here. But that one needs a bios first.