VOGONS

First post, by tranoidnoki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a question regarding installing a CD-ROM in an old machine. I have an IBM PS/1 Consultant. It has 2MB RAM, a 3.5", 5.25" and a 386SX @ 25Mhz. I recently acquired a sound blaster vibra 16 from a friend and it has IDE channels on it. There are about 3 or 4 channels on it, and one is labelled IDE CD-ROM. If I just plug an IDE drive into it, how do I get it working? Do I need a specific drive? What about jumpers? I was reading about MSCDEX, but it seems mildly confusing. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There aren't multiple IDE connectors on there. There will be one IDE and the others are almost certainly Sony, Panasonic/Matsushita, Mitsumi. Back then there were all these proprietary CDROM standards.

You will probably just need to make sure the jumpers on the card have the IDE port enabled and not conflicting with another controller. There is probably a Creative-specific DOS IDE CDROM driver but a generic IDE CDROM driver may work too.

Loads of Creative drivers in this thread:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster ISA Cards' Drivers Collection (Old Thread)

Doing a web search on the CT**** number on the sound card might lead you to jumper settings.

Possible jumper settings here:
http://web.archive.org/web/19980213045641/htt … c/techsb16.html

Reply 2 of 3, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Looking down that list of SB16s, some of them are labelled "Pro". Does anyone know what the difference is between one of these Pro cards, and a non-Pro card? Is it something hardware related, or could it be something to with a software bundle? Or both?

At first glance, I thought that the CT2290 might have the CSP chip built in as standard, but then I've seen CT2290s without these chips.