VOGONS

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can probably get an SC-55ST fairly cheaply.

Is there a difference in the way the two sound?

Edit: I found a thread on Quest Studios indicating that it's an SC-55mkII in different clothing, and as I understand, the mkII has higher polyphony and a bigger patch set than the mkI or vanilla SC-55, is that right?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1 of 5, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't answer your question directly but if you do end up getting it I have an SC-55mk2 which you are welcome to borrow for comparative purposes 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 5, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the SC-55ST is a stripped down version of the SC-55MKII. It uses the same mainboard, but doesn't have a display or control panel. Other than that, they're the same unit.
I'm not aware of any game that supports the MKII's extra features, so you won't really notice much of a difference compared to a regular SC-55.

::42::

Reply 3 of 5, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, got the sucker home and I don't have a MIDI cable for it!

I do, however, have a y-adaptor that goes from gameport to two female 5-pin DIN plugs. I was formerly using it to connect my SB16 to my MT-32. Do you reckon the cable from that to the synth would just be a "straight through" cable with the DIN male plugs on either end?

Edit: Looks like it is, I should be able to make one pretty easily. Sweet.

http://www.beriomidi.info/eng/cable_e.htm

Reply 4 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that will work just fine!

Apart from that you can purchase game port to MIDI cables on eBay.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The y-splitter came with the wife's electric piano, I think it contains the electronics to isolate the MIDI device from the game port. I got the plugs and some 5-way foil shielded data cable, cost about $4 all up and took 5 mins to make.

I can also now confirm that the SC-55ST sounds identical to the recordings of the SC-55 on swaaye's site. It's a very nice sounding synth! 😀