VOGONS

First post, by Jakodemus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

digital%252520isa.jpg

Do anyone of you know what this card is? Found it inside old Toshiba T3200 "laptop".

Reply 1 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Arcnet card?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jakodemus wrote:

Found it inside old Toshiba T3200 "laptop".

Wow, some laptop that must be. Thought I had that model around 1992 - orange plasma screen, probably a 386? Never seemed big enough to get that card inside though 😜.

Reply 4 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:
Jakodemus wrote:

Wow, some laptop that must be. Thought I had that model around 1992 - orange plasma screen, probably a 386? Never seemed big enough to get that card inside though 😜.

The T3200 actually has a card bay and slots for two cards (1 8-bit slot and 1 16-bit slot), so it's not exactly small. It's a bit of a monster, really.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/4435/Toshiba-T3200/

Reply 5 of 8, by Jakodemus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help.

T3200 is indeed a monster. It does take one full size 16-bit isa card and one smaller 8-bit. Although you have to bend full size card quite a bit to plug it in.

Only problem with mine is that the floppy drive doesn't work, so i have no means of getting any software to the machine. I could always change the drive, but i have no idea does a normal FDD fit.

Reply 6 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
ratfink wrote:
Jakodemus wrote:

The T3200 actually has a card bay and slots for two cards (1 8-bit slot and 1 16-bit slot), so it's not exactly small. It's a bit of a monster, really.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/4435/Toshiba-T3200/

Ah, that is the model I had after all, missed it even years after it got retired.

Reply 7 of 8, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jakodemus wrote:

Thanks for the help.

T3200 is indeed a monster. It does take one full size 16-bit isa card and one smaller 8-bit. Although you have to bend full size card quite a bit to plug it in.

Only problem with mine is that the floppy drive doesn't work, so i have no means of getting any software to the machine. I could always change the drive, but i have no idea does a normal FDD fit.

Try to find an external floppy with a serial or parallel connection. You might be able to get a normal desktop floppy working, but you would have to make some serious mechanical adjustments to get it in the chassis and personally I don't think that's worth it (unless you're in the case mod-mood).

BTW the T3200SXC improved upon this model by having a full-color screen 😀. One of my old Toshiba laptops had this ISA expansion option available by purchasing an external docking station. Of course, if you wanted it all, the T6600C would have been the best choice - although that thing can't really be used as a laptop (it was a luggable IIRC)

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/pr … 600c/index.shtm

Two 16-bit ISA slots = pure awesome for a "portable" computer.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 8 of 8, by Jakodemus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Try to find an external floppy with a serial or parallel connection. You might be able to get a normal desktop floppy working, but you would have to make some serious mechanical adjustments to get it in the chassis and personally I don't think that's worth it (unless you're in the case mod-mood).

T3200 supports parallel floppy. It even has a little switch in the back of the computer which determines is the LPT-port A:, B: or a normal LPT. Never heard of parallel floppys before, so can one build one easily? Can I just make a cable to go between LPT-port and a normal floppy drive? Schematics?