VOGONS

ATi GPU Thrill Thread

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Post pics and comments about anything they've produced, up to Radeon R3x0.

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB RAM
This showed up several months into the life of the 128MB version. It cost $450-500 at the time. There are a few different 256MB models.

This card uses the R350 GPU (9800 Pro) and early DDR2 memory. The RAM heatsinks are legitimately needed as the RAM runs very hot. The card's clock rates are 380 MHz core and 350 MHz RAM. I found that it can not be overclocked more than about 20 MHz on either RAM or core before artifacts show. Later 256MB models use R360 (9800XT) and DDR1 memory.

Notes:
-The thermal paste had long ago dried up and the GPU was overheating and unstable. ATi went cheap, apparently.
-The fan is very loud due to high RPM. I replaced it. 9700 Pro wasn't as loud.
-Radeon 9500/9700/9800 do not like AGP @ > 66 MHz.
-I like the brass pins used for the heatsink. Resilient.

Of course I ran Oblivion on it and it is several times faster than the 5900 Ultra. You can run the game on high detail at 1024x768 and enjoy it if you are ok with 10-20 fps. 800x600 is quite smooth. The 256MB RAM allows High detail textures to be usable since they consume about 256MB VRAM.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    115.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by swaaye on 2012-01-04, 22:54. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 85, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a friend overclock an older card like till artifacted all over the place and he ran that way for so long it eventually stopped artifacting due to quantum tunneling

Reply 2 of 85, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kind of doubt it has anything to do with quantum tunneling. A bit of poking around suggests such effects are attributed more to allowing thermal compound to set properly at higher temperatures, which sounds much more believable.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2012-01-05, 18:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 85, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My fastest AGP Radeon is a 9800XT, and I have a handful of cards below that. 9700 Pro and 9550 SE come to mind.

I'll photograph them on Saturday I think, since I won't have time on Sunday! 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

You can't have a Radeon r300 thread without mentioning the once cool feature of SmartShader.

It's not even in the 10.2 drivers. I guess they dumped it at some point even if you're on an old card.

Reply 6 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone have a Radeon 64MB DDR AGP that is clocked at 200/200? The so called "SE" version of R100. I think it might be only the VIVO versions. I had one long ago but sold it off sadly.

Or how about a Radeon 8500 (not LE) 128MB with the BGA memory?

Reply 8 of 85, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Radeon 7k and a 9250, but I could care less for those cards. Not sure if this would quite qualify to you or not, but I consider the X16xx to X19xx line to be the last line of cards representing what ATI as a company originally was. Once they did the HD 2900 line their integration into AMD really started to become more and more apparent.

As it stands, the only card I have from the X line is the Connect3D X1800 GTO. Its plenty fast for legacy XP gaming for stuff from mid 2006 and prior. Past that though and the card starts to feel a little out of its depth. I had broke this card down completely, applied new paste, re-oiled the fan and completely cleaned out the heatsink assembly. I guess you could consider it refurbished. The card works great, and is capable of decent overclocks, but unlike some of the other Connect3D X1800 GTO cards, this one is not able to be unlocked as far as extra shader pipelines goes.

DSCN3944.jpg

DSCN3945.jpg

Reply 9 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:

I have a Radeon 7k and a 9250, but I could care less for those cards. Not sure if this would quite qualify to you or not, but I consider the X16xx to X19xx line to be the last line of cards representing what ATI as a company originally was.

Yeah R520 was interesting. Very late to market though.

In PCIe I currently have 6950, 3850, X1950XTX, X1600Pro, and X800GTO2. Spread around at work and home. But I think PCIe cards are rather new for VOGONS.

I wish AMD hadn't killed driver development for R500 because those cards would be able to run a lot of recent games OK due to the console stranglehold.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-12-22, 02:12. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 10 of 85, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah thats one of the reasons why I originally got rid of my Sapphire X1950 AGP card I had, lack of solid drivers. The other was due to how power hungry the AGP version was. Last modern game I ran on it before selling it was Modern Warfare 2, which it handled well on a Athlon X2 system.

Reply 11 of 85, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a PCIe X850XT PE floating around somewhere. It was a power-hungry, noisy beast of a card, that's for sure. Paid a pretty penny for it, too!

Reply 12 of 85, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first ever video card upgrade was to a Radeon 7500 (64MB, AGP) in my Pentium II/450. I remember I was pretty young at the time and I bought this roller coaster building game, and because the Riva TNT card that came with the PC was old and didn't have DX8 support, the menu came up completely blank and I couldn't play. The 7500 was pretty low end at the time so I was able to afford it, but it did exactly what I wanted and I still really like the card today. Probably the most important upgrade I made to that computer, since it had to carry me all the way to 2005 before I got a new system.

The OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 13 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

7500 is almost identical to the original Radeon chip. It's manufactured on a smaller silicon process and they fixed a few bugs and oversights such as enabling asynchronous clocks for the GPU and the RAM. It made a good competitor for GF4MX.

Reply 14 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first Radeon was a Sapphire 9500 non-pro that was unlocakable and that I could overclock to close to 9700 speeds. The memory held me back a bit because they were slower than the ones installed on the 9700 and couldn't handle much overclocking. I have a 9700 Pro that was flashed with a Mac ROM in one of my Powermac G4's. I also have a Sapphire x1650 Pro that I bought later to replace the 9500 and a 9100 PCI. My newest is a HD6870 but my motherboard has HD4250 onboard and my laptop has HD3200. My previous laptop had Mobility 9600.

Reply 15 of 85, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

My newest is a HD6870

That's what I have too! Two of them, in fact. They're great bang for buck hey?

Reply 16 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
sliderider wrote:

My newest is a HD6870

That's what I have too! Two of them, in fact. They're great bang for buck hey?

Yeah but now my fan is making noise so I am stuck using the onboard until the new ones come out. I'm just going to put an aftermarket cooler on it and sell it when the new ones come out instead of going through the warranty BS.

Reply 18 of 85, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm I had a Radeon 7200 http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/radeon7200.jpg
a 9100 http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/radeon9100.jpg
and also a 9800XT, but I have no photo of it right now.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 19 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATi Radeon LE 32MB DDR AGP

This is a budget version of the original Radeon DDR. It was not an official ATi product. The card was popular with people looking for a cheap upgrade from say a Matrox G400 (like me!)

Notes:
-Clocked at 148/148. Original R100 Radeon required sync clocks or it freezes.
-6.0ns DDR RAM means it's specified for 166MHz but underclocked.
-HyperZ is supposed to be disabled and was in early drivers. Later drivers enable it and this causes image artifacts because the HyperZ hardware is defective. It's possible to selectively enable/disable parts of HyperZ with registry tweaks.
-BIOS chip on Radeon boards is labeled "Rage 6" or "R6".

More info about the LE.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/770

img3508ik.jpg
img3506mn.jpg