ATi GPU Thrill Thread

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 85, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prophase_j wrote:

I used this card for a while in my KT133A system, and later used it in my 775i65g rig. In my KT133A with a Athlon XP @ 1.67ghz, I could play Farcry on medium settings, which I thought was pretty impressive. I can't find any of my old screenshots for it, but I want to say it gave me 13k in 3dmark01. It was defiantly CPU bound in this configuration, but it severed me well for over year, the computer running 24/7 for my daily use and folding proteins.

Just as you say - KT133 cannot fulfill the potential of that card - its limited not by CPU (tested KT133 with 2.4Ghz mobile Barton XP), but by memory. I played Farcry @ medium settings on my laptop P4-M 1.4Ghz with a Radeon 9600 mobility w/64 mb RAM 😀

Reply 41 of 85, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just wanted to contribute to the "thrill thread"! 😀 However, I've got a largely off topic question, but I am testing a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB card. I attached an Accelero S2 heatsink to it, which has worked very well. I really like these 3rd party heatsinks. With it, came a bunch of RAM heatsinks.

The RAM facing the Accelero card had no stickers on them, and so the RAM heatsinks (labelled "1" in the photo) could be easily attached to them. However, the RAM on the back of the card had a sticker attached to them, and peeling it off, has left most of the sticker behind ("2"), so I cannot easily affix the RAM heatsinks to them.

Question: what is the best way of removing the sticker? Thanks.

ram.JPG

Reply 42 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
prophase_j wrote:
Here are some pictures of my 9800xt, that has a broken capacitor held in place with a binder clip. Also installed is a zalman co […]
Show full quote

Here are some pictures of my 9800xt, that has a broken capacitor held in place with a binder clip. Also installed is a zalman cooling system.
imag0036cg.th.jpg

I used this card for a while in my KT133A system, and later used it in my 775i65g rig. In my KT133A with a Athlon XP @ 1.67ghz, I could play Farcry on medium settings, which I thought was pretty impressive. I can't find any of my old screenshots for it, but I want to say it gave me 13k in 3dmark01. It was defiantly CPU bound in this configuration, but it severed me well for over year, the computer running 24/7 for my daily use and folding proteins.

It only saw brief use in the 775i65g rig, which at the time was being driven by a E2160, and unfortunately I don't think I ever spec'd it before getting a different card. I do remember Farcry working the high settings though. I knew that the even the humble E2160 had undoubtedly unleashed power not found in any but the most exotic netburst systems, but was quickly overshadowed by my search for a fast card that eventually wound up with a HSI Radeon 3850 for my AGP slotted hotrod.

I did however, put it back in the motherboard to test it out, and get a proper reading of all of it's potential. By this time I had also moved on from the E2160 to a E5800 teamed up with some DDR500, overclocked to 3.74ghz. This setup scored 26k in 3dmark01 with the 9800. The same system gets 37k with the 3850 but at the stock 3.2ghz processor speed. Now I know that 3Dmark01 is a DX 8.1 benchmark, but still I think it is pretty impressive compared to a card that is 3 generations ahead.

200137410009800.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Those 3DMark results sound funny to me. An HD3850 has to be more than just 50% faster than a 9800XT. Just moving up from a 9800XT to a X800 practically doubles performance right there.

Reply 43 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dmark2001 on default settings is extremely CPU limited if you are testing a high-end GPU newer than a R3x0/NV3x. I suggest switching to 3DMark03 or 05.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-01-01, 22:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 44 of 85, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:
Question: what is the best way of removing the sticker? Thanks. […]
Show full quote

Question: what is the best way of removing the sticker? Thanks.

ram.JPG

If you screw this up, its on you, but you can take a little bit of googone and apply it with qtips, let it soak for a second, then use a credit card to scrape away the stickers. If they are really tough stickers, just use a normal hair blow dryer to heat them up good, then scrape them off, then use the googone to get rid of the residue. Either way, after doing so, do a final clean it up with rub alcohol. If the googone doesn't want to do the job and you're feeling extra brave, you can try nail polish remover. But be mindful that a little can go a long way, and using it too long it can damage some things.

Reply 45 of 85, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please do not use benzine-based nail polish remover, it will react badly with any plastic it touches. Use only as high as possible % alcohol and after you remove the sticker, let the card dry off a little bit (should be fast, if alcohol is good enough).

Reply 46 of 85, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

Please do not use benzine-based nail polish remover, it will react badly with any plastic it touches. Use only as high as possible % alcohol and after you remove the sticker, let the card dry off a little bit (should be fast, if alcohol is good enough).

You know, there was a really good discussion a few years back concerning this stuff:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.p … 25&postcount=23

That last post there pretty much sums it up correctly.

Reply 47 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If alcohol can't take something off, I've found that citrus solvents usually will. I was inspired by some Arctic Silver Articlean that I once bought. A big bottle of Goof Off Citrus works just as well. Citrus cleaners are actually pleasant smelling unlike nasty benzene/toluene/acetone/xylene/etc solvents. Always follow up with alcohol because these other solvents often leave a residue behind.

Reply 48 of 85, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:
You know, there was a really good discussion a few years back concerning this stuff: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost […]
Show full quote
elfuego wrote:

You know, there was a really good discussion a few years back concerning this stuff:

Even if it is so, as the last post suggests, I would still avoid using acetone. I screwed up once cleaning stuff with it and I will never try it again 😀

The one burned by fire, gets scared of sparks too - people say around here 😉

Reply 50 of 85, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:
ProfessorProfessorson wrote:
You know, there was a really good discussion a few years back concerning this stuff: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost […]
Show full quote
elfuego wrote:

Even if it is so, as the last post suggests, I would still avoid using acetone. I screwed up once cleaning stuff with it and I will never try it again 😀

The one burned by fire, gets scared of sparks too - people say around here 😉

Yeah, if you're no good with it, then don't try, and I don't really recommend it for noobs unless you're feeling brave and adventurous, and you totally understand the concept of "a little amount can go a long ways". I've been doing electronics work since the 90's, so I'm used to using the stuff for cleaning, among other things. It has its place in my electronics cleaning supplies box.

Reply 51 of 85, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

RadeonHD gets shadowmap problems everywhere. No one ever brings that up. 🙁

Example?

Older Radeons have their own shadowmap problems too. Play Oblivion on a 9800 and turn on self shadowing! I think X850 does it too. Extreme shadow blockies.

There's also something called PCF shadowing that NV had but not ATI until R600 maybe? Blocky.

Reply 53 of 85, by ProfessorProfessorson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Here are some examples

BTW, latest HD radeons and drivers still have this bug, and so do the old ones.

Your links dont seem to be working right now...

Reply 58 of 85, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here, try those links, should have done that earlier 🤣

http://i40.tinypic.com/16706zs.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/k1riu1.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/246l9av.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/aesmx1.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 59 of 85, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Here are some examples

BTW, latest HD radeons and drivers still have this bug, and so do the old ones.

I read something about the shadow thing and apparently it has something to do with high resolution shadow maps taking up huge amounts of memory and slowing games down to unacceptable levels so lower resolution shadows are used. This keeps the framerates high but results in shadows sometimes looking unrealistic if they are rendered at all.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20091028/geexlab-shado … radeon-hd-5770/

Last edited by sliderider on 2012-01-04, 11:45. Edited 1 time in total.