VOGONS

Reply 80 of 85, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I think that's a very good idea. I had a look on ebay, and had no trouble finding something suitable. It's pictured below. I'm guessing this is the correct item to buy, and it's cheap. I'll order it tonight. Thanks.

Attachments

• mono.jpg
    Filename
    mono.jpg
    File size
    11.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 81 of 85, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, what I gather from the Adlib pictures you posted, both this version with 3.5mm connector and the version with bigger connector, they are stereo connectors, and the mono audio is already split into both channels on board the Adlib.

Using a mono plug will short-circuit the other channel to ground, so do not use a mono connector on Adlib. Stereo plug only.

You can verify this by measuring the three pins on the connector. One is ground, one goes to R18 and one goes to R19. The other ends of both R18 and R19 are connected to the big output capacitor C18.

Basically you need a PCB-mounted 3.5mm connector that has a matching footprint from Farnell, it is not called a "headphone" connector. If you get a connector with different footprint, obviously it cannot be directly soldered in place of the current connector.

Reply 85 of 85, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Or better: first try to push it down so the gap closes, and check if it works now.

Solved! Thanks a million, h-a-l-9000! 😀 That worked. I can now listen to funky Adlib tunes on this 22 year old sound card!