VOGONS

First post, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what's with my recently-acquired STB Velocity 128, but its TV out is not working right at all. I can see something both in Composite and S-Video, but the picture is TOTALLY screwed up. On both outputs, the picture itself is clear and colorful, but it jitters EVERYWHERE horizontally. The picture is not out of sync, but parts of it jitter from left to right creating waves in the image. It doesn't do this on my capture device, but that's when I noticed ANOTHER problem: there's a strip of jumbled colors on the far right side of the screen.

Here's what I get with X-Wing on my capture device through S-Video(Composite looks the same, but blurrier):

xwingsvideostbvelocity1.th.png

And here are two close-ups showing X-Wing on my TV using Composite(remember: the same thing happens in S-Video):

xwingcompositeontvstbve.th.jpg
xwingcompositeontvstbve.th.jpg

It doesn't matter what DOS game I use, it doesn't matter what the resolution is, it doesn't matter what computer I use this STB Velocity 128 PCI NTSC on, the picture ALWAYS looks like this. Even at the DOS prompt and while the computer is booting.

The TV out sometimes becomes less wavy, but goes back to being just as wavy as it was before. What's wrong with this thing? I need a PCI graphics card with S-Video output for my MS-DOS test computer.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 1 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm that's a bummer...

What I could recommend is a VGA to S-Video converter Box. The one I got from eBay is quite decent. Though the built-in splitter will weaken the signal, so don't use it...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one, but the capture device I use hates it. No matter whether I use Composite or S-Video, the video jitters from side to side non-stop, especially the top half of the screen. I also have color issues with my converter in S-Video as the picture has an excess amount of green in it. The only way the video works correctly on my capture device is if I run the S-Video output into my DVD recorder then run its S-Video output into my capture device. Doing this keeps the picture stable, but make the picture much blurrier and very dark.

The computer I want to use the STB Velocity 128 PCI ON only has a single stupid ATI 3D Rage IIC AGP graphics card built-in with only VGA output. I need a PCI graphics card with S-Video output on the same quality level as my ATI 3D Rage II+DVD which outputs REALLY good S-Video. I've actually been looking for another ATI 3D Rage II+DVD with TV out, but all those I find have only VGA output. I need the higher quality I can get out of the S-Video output built into graphics cards, but the card itself CANNOT cut off more than one pixel on either side of the picture. Two of my AGP graphics cards, the nVidia GeForce 2 MX and my ATI Radeon 7500 both cut off several pixels from the overall picture when using S-Video. The GeForce 2 MX cuts off several pixels to the right(and is very blurry and with a blue haze over everything) while the Radeon 7500 cuts off several pixels to the left. It's annoying, to say the least.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 3 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm do you have another S-Video capture device to test?

The one I have is from Compro. It cost a little more than the cheap ones from eBay, but was the main product I found locally that had W7 64 bit drivers...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 4, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have another capture device, but that one tends to drop the video feed every now and then or lag so far behind the video practically stays stuck at a still image all while inducing a NASTY popping noise in the audio signal(sometimes, the noise happens even when the video feed is fine). It hasn't done this with the VGA to S-Video/Composite box, but the lower resolution makes the video blurrier and this capture device records at a lower framerate, so the video isn't as smooth. I'm all about quality, so I'd much rather use my new capture device as its S-Video quality is MILES ahead of the old capture device and it records at a higher resolution with a higher framerate. And a graphics card with built-in S-Video output as it's (for the most part) much sharper and more colorful than my VGA to S-Video/Composite box's S-Video output.

As for the STB Velocity 128, I wonder if the video encoder is damaged. The STB Velocity 128 uses an Analog Devices AD724JR RGB to Composite/S-Video encoder to produce Composite and S-Video. If the problem is not the encoder, what could have gone wrong instead?