VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello all.

Iam also been busy on a Intel Pentium MMX 200Mhz build
I want to put dos games on it. (and windows 3.11) Dos 7.00 i think because i want to get over the FAT32 limitation.. The board is a AGP motherboard socket 7.. It accepts AGP graphic cards, but it can set it to PCI mode.. I really dont know which graphics card to get.. I thought an Diamond Monster fusion it would be nice.. But i think that that graphics card is to faster on what iam going to put on this machine..

But should i have benefit on an Voodoo 2 family card when using in dos modus?

And what type of kind could you sugest my when iam think of building an PCI pentium system, then i need to swap the motherboard. And maybe take a Pentium 100Mhz processor for it..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 24, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i would undoubtedly use a 5950ultra for sure, a pity that the geforce6 cards are incompatible with agp2x slots. 🤣
for socket7 agp boards(most likely from via and ali) you must install proper chipset drivers for the agp slot to function. its more troublesome that they may require some old version of drivers, new versions may be only for new chipsets(via pt880 and so on) and simply crash your computer.

Reply 2 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He needs to pick something with Windows 3.1 drivers. Probably some card with an S3 or NV chip that's old enough to have such drivers. Virge GX2, Riva 128, etc.

In PCI, I would go for a S3 Virge of some sort because they are extremely compatible with DOS games and have 3.x drivers available. This is essentially what DOSBOX emulates.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-12-28, 01:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 24, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

3D Rage Pro based cards are the only AGP cards that I know of that have Win 3.1 drivers.

Robin4 wrote:

But i think that that graphics card is to faster on what iam going to put on this machine..

If you're only going to put DOS and Win 3.1 on it, I'd say that any AGP card is more than enough. But that's just my 2p.

Reply 4 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice 3.x driver resource
http://www.gaby.de/win3x/edrivers.htm

I'd go S3 of some sort. Best for DOS games out of everything.

Stay away from ATI for DOS gaming.

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-12-28, 01:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

He needs to pick something with Windows 3.1 drivers. Probably some card with an S3 or NV chip that's old enough to have such drivers. Virge GX2, Riva 128, etc.

In PCI, I would go for a S3 Virge of some sort because they are extremely compatible with DOS games and have 3.x drivers available. This is essentially what DOSBOX emulates.

Sorry but i dont use DOSBOX. ONLY DOS

Reply 6 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I meant DOSBOX emulates S3 Trio64 because games essentially targeted it. S3 cards were so popular that they became a sort of unofficial standard like Sound Blaster.

I think a S3 card is your best bet for a Pentium 200. Trio 3D AGP for example. Or just stay with PCI because AGP won't get you any advantages.

Reply 7 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
Nice 3.x driver resource http://www.gaby.de/win3x/edrivers.htm […]
Show full quote

Nice 3.x driver resource
http://www.gaby.de/win3x/edrivers.htm

I'd go S3 of some sort. Best for DOS games out of everything.

Stay away from ATI for DOS gaming.

Does RIVA 128 (ZX) support DVD bla bla (doesnt know how it called)

Reply 8 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You want to watch DVD movies on a Pentium 200? You'll need a hardware DVD decoder card to pull that off. None of the 2d/3d cards of that age do enough of the decoding in hardware for P200.

Reply 9 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, no problem. Thanks.. I have thought about this conversation. And made my dissicion. I have bought a other board without AGP..

It have enought slots.
It have a coast card option (the coast card is already here)
Nice mouse jumper section
Can put 1 dimm in instead of 72 pins modules
Has dual voltages, so its would support Pentium MMX aswell..

The board is bigger, so its sitts more still on the PC case motherboard plate..

The board iam now using is a little bit to new for that time.

I also have two ABITS AB-PT5S.. One has a broken clip on the cpu socket.. So need to replace the socket first, and thats a hell of a job..

The other AB-PT5 has an dead RTC clock.. So need to desolderd to..

Reply 12 of 24, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:

i would undoubtedly use a 5950ultra for sure, a pity that the geforce6 cards are incompatible with agp2x slots. 🤣
for socket7 agp boards(most likely from via and ali) you must install proper chipset drivers for the agp slot to function. its more troublesome that they may require some old version of drivers, new versions may be only for new chipsets(via pt880 and so on) and simply crash your computer.

Even though it's electrically compatible, that card would need a pretty good power supply to keep it running stable. And of course, it would be overkill for an old P1 system.

Also most (if not all) DOS Glide games are capped at 640x480, so I'm not too sure if a Voodoo2 card would have much advantage. Some compatibility issues do arise, that's for sure (although the two games that I've tested with my Diamond Voodoo2 card - Descent 2 and Extreme Assault - do work fine, but the latter does officially support the V2 via a patch).

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 13 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo2 would be very bottlenecked by a P200. I'd actually consider a Voodoo1 instead because they work best for DOS Glide games. It will still be bottlenecked by the P200.

Reply 14 of 24, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought the Riva 128 is supposed to be good with VESA support. Not so great for 3D even with the ZX version. Would pair with a Voodoo 1 as well. I'd love to find a Canopus Pure 3D 6mb V1 to toy with 😀

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 15 of 24, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Choices:

1. S3 VIRGE or Trio64V+ or Trio3D/2X. With added luxury of Voodoo1.

2. Riva TNT or TNT2 for AGP. Both work with TNT drivers for Windows 3.11. Good for DOS games too.

3. Voodoo3.

I have installed a TNT2 Ultra AGP with a Voodoo1 in one of my Super Socket 7 DOS/WIn3.11 machines.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Malik has it all mapped out for you. 😀

Regarding Riva128, I am not sure about its DOS game compatibility. RivaTNT 1/2 are probably an improvement in that area though just as in every other area. I say don't bother with Riva128.

Reply 17 of 24, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And what to do if iam going for a PCI one?

RIVA128 does also have windows 3.11 drivers. I find them on the nvidia site with google.

Reply 18 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Malik has it all mapped out for you. 😀

Regarding Riva128, I am not sure about its DOS game compatibility. RivaTNT 1/2 are probably an improvement in that area though just as in every other area. I say don't bother with Riva128.

Wrong, the 128(zx) offers EXCELLENT DOS compatibility and it's fast.
The TNT+ cards are more likely to have probs due to their later release date where DOS was just for installing win...
Grab a 128(zx) and see for your self 😊

I haven't found a single problematic DOS game in the ~1.5 year I use one in my 200mmx box, modex , scrolling, colors, vesa mode, all work fine and even way better than other older cards when DOS was in it's glory times 😵

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 24, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm interesting. I do have a Riva128 but not the ZX. I haven't tried it for DOS gaming at all. Sounds like it might be good for it though!

It's interesting because their prior NV1 board is totally terrible for DOS support. Rapid progress.