VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit: Solved. Please see below, marked "Solved". End Edit.

I am testing 2 MediaVision Pro AudioSpectrum 16 sound cards. The "regular" PAS16 card works OK, but the "studio" version does not. For the studio version, if I run the install.exe DOS set up program, I can successfully hear the DMA and IRQ test sounds. However, when I reboot the PC, the device line inside the config.sys file does not execute successfully, and consequently the PAS's mvsound.sys DOS device driver is not loaded in to memory. The device line inside the config.sys file =

device=c:\pas146in\mvsound.sys d:3 q:7 s:1,220,0,5 m:0 j:1

The error message that I see on the screen when the auto/config files are being executed is: Invalid parameter on command line. I got the PAS DOS software from DriverGuide. It was called pas146in. I wonder, is this software only applicable to the "regular" PAS cards, or can I use it with the "studio" cards as well? One other thing that is puzzling me: I tried these 2 PAS cards in 2 mobos, and in both cases, the DMA=1 test did not work. I either hear silence, or a lot of noise.

Any ideas please people? Thanks a lot for any advice.

Solved. I downloaded another piece of software from DriverGuide, called "pastudio". That worked, and solved my problem. Unfortunately, this download was a "cut down" package, with all of the software "ripped out of it", and consequently, it only contained the drivers. Does anyone have the PAS Studio software, please? The config.sys device line now reads -

device=c:\pastudio\mvsound.sys d:5 q:7 s:1,220,1,5 m:0 j:1

Also, this is interesting - the DMA=1 tests now work OK.

Reply 1 of 2, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must dust off my 386 and look into this. My pas16 seemed to have some odd behaviour when I installed it, using spectrum drivers. I thought I got round this by editing the config or autoexec line, but it didn't seem to get on with an sb2 [I think I got no music or no sound from the sb2, can't quite recall[.

Looking now at pictures on this forum it may well be a studio rather than a spectrum - same fcc-id as swaaye's though has a few slightly different minor components [same as with comparison to cloudschatze's pictures]. If they have different drivers, that might help. Also now see jumper settings on stason, which I don't think I saw before.

Reply 2 of 2, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just spotted something. Inside the two PAS16 driver download packages I mentioned in my o.p. (PAS146IN and PASTUDIO), the PAS16 DOS device driver MVSOUND.sys is a different size and date:

PAS146IN = 17kb 17/02/1993 (d-m-y format)
PASTUDIO = 18kb 12/05/1993 (d-m-y format)