VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just set up a little Fragbox for my girlfriend so she can look at facebook and watch videos. It's a little shuttle with 1GB RAM, a FX5900 Ultra (AGP 4X), and an Athlon 1.6 or 1.8 I can't recall.

Anyways my problem is that it decodes videos just fine when they are small sized like in a regular youtube sized window but when you go full screen the framerate drops down to almost nothing.

I thought for sure an FX would be enough to decode those shitty youtube 360p sized videos (or I imagined even more), but it seems like I was wrong. Is it possible that the monitor I'm using which is 1600X900 doesn't do scaling and the card is having to carry that weight? Or is it just that these cards can't decode that resolution?

For giggles I put in a Geforce 2 Ultra and guess what? It decodes the exact same way. What am I missing here, do I have a setting wrong? Am I processor limited? Is the monitor not doing a resize and forcing a software resize or the card to do the resizing?

I could really use some insight from anyone who might have an opinion.

THanks!

Reply 1 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These cards have MPEG2 acceleration, but not Flash / H264. And a single core Athlon 1.6 will struggle decoding it on it's own...

It's simply not up to the task I'm afraid.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you think a 7300gs would work for me considering I'm on a shuttle power supply? 200 watt.

Actually I'm not worried about the PS issue it says it requires 250 but usually thats for a full system not a cut down shuttle...so will it do the flash decoding well enough or only the HD decoding properly?

By the way thanks so much for filling me in on this.

Reply 3 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Power shouldn't be an issue. Quite certain the FX draws more power.

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you think the 7300gs or gt or maybe even an LE would be enough combined with the Athlon 1.8 to do fullscreen Youtube videos?

Reply 5 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take a look here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_flashplaye … lus_nvidia.html

The GeForce 8400 GS seems to be lowest card that can handle it. Seeing you have AGP I don't know what your options are...

My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814161337
Works fine on an Athlon XP 2800+

Probly not worth spending the money tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Take a look here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_flashplaye … lus_nvidia.html

The GeForce 8400 GS seems to be lowest card that can handle it. Seeing you have AGP I don't know what your options are...

Best cards for AGP are the Radeon HD3850 or HD4670. The last nVidia card that worked with AGP was the 7950GT, and since you already stated that you need at least a GF 8, that rules out the 7950.

Reply 8 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814161337
Works fine on an Athlon XP 2800+

Probly not worth spending the money tho.

Unfortunately I need a single slot solution for the shuttle as the AGP slot is on the outside edge. Thanks for your help though.

Reply 9 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like the 3850 is 8X only, I'd need a 4X card. =( Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT : Ooops looks liek that was bad info it appears the 3850 is a 4X/8X!

Interesting it appears that the onboard audio may be on an AGP bus as well and cause issues with running these boards unless the HD audio is disabled. Don't know if this is an AGP limitation or a case of ATI drivers.