VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm testing a MV PAS16 studio sound card. If I run the install.exe program inside the pastudio folder, most of the time this hardware set up utility will fail to allocate resources to the card. However, occassionally it will succeed. Once it has succeeded, if I then reboot the PC and test a game, the sound effects will be silent. Occassionally, the sound effects can be heard, but then they unexpectedly go silent during gameplay.

If I rerun the install.exe set up routine again, the same behaviour as mentioned above will recur - that is, most of the time this set up routine will fail to allocate resources to the card, but occassionally it will succeed. Etc, etc.

I am using a 386 mobo to test this card. Also, I have a second working back up MV PAS16 studio card. If I test this back up card, I don't experience the problems that I describe above. Any ideas please people?

Edit: I seem to be able to narrow down the problem to this testing pattern: if I get the card's resources working correctly, and then switch off the machine, and then switch the machine back on again, the card's resources are not allocated correctly. So, when there is no power to the machine, that is the time that the card's resources are mysteriously "reset / lost".

Edit 2: I've done some more testing. This is an odd problem. It's as if the card works if it has had a chance to "warm up" a bit. If you try to use it "cold", then it will behave oddly, and the sound effects will be silent, and the card cannot be succesfully initialised. However, if the machine has been on for a short period of time, the card appears to work. The card has 4 capacitors, but they all look in good condition.

Edit 3: The mystery deepens. I tried the working PAS16 again, and it behaves the same way as the "broken" PAS16. I think something is wrong with the PSU, more specifically, the ATX-to-AT PSU adapter gadget. I notice that it sometimes forces down some of the coloured wire metal connector things, which means that they don't make contact with the PSU. I'll go an look for an ATX-to-AT PSU adapter gadget replacement in my big box of junk...

Reply 1 of 2, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are both cards set to the same resources and are there any conflicts?

Have you tried moving it to a different slot? (I'm assuming your 386 motherboard has several ISA slots?)

Have you tried the card in Sound Blaster compatibility mode?

Reply 2 of 2, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I run the PAS install.exe set up program, I've tried using various DMA and IRQ resources. More often than not, the install.exe set up program cannot automatically find *any* available resources to allocate to the card. However, sometimes it will succeed. The ratio of "failure to success" seems to be about 80:20%. I do not change anything about the system, and sometimes it will fail, and sometimes it will succeed. This behaviour seems to be random.

Reading your post, I tried something else. I set up Doom to use SoundBlaster music and effects, rather than PAS music and effects. I switched off the machine yesterday, and switched it back on again today. Doom plays both SoundBlaster music + effects OK.

After successfully testing the PAS card using the above SoundBlaster configuration, I tried setting Doom to use the PAS for sound effects. As soon as I did that, I hear silence. So, there appears to be nothing wrong with the SoundBlaster side of the card, but the actual "native" PAS part of the card appears to be faulty in some odd and random way.