VOGONS

First post, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so I'm building a P3 machine and wanted a CPU upgrade. I had a buddy with a Pentium 3 1000 he took out of a machine. (he sells parts and want's an excuses to upgrade from it) The machine was a dell XPS 650r with a P3 650, From what i can find in manuals, and online my mother board supports up-to a 1.1ghz slot 1 CPU. But when I put the CPU in (and yes I know it works!) I get a beep command and no bios. the beeps are 1-4-3-3 which isn't in my manual. the motherboards a dell OEM e139671.

my life runs on X86

Reply 3 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Firstly there is an edit button in the top right of your posts (just below the 're:' button of the previous post) which makes it easier to read that posting 3 times in a row 😀

Your problem is possibly due to the new CPU being a Tualatin core. These required lower voltage than the older Coppermine and Katmai cores. So not only does your BIOS need to recognise Tualatins, your motherboard has to electrically support them too.
However, to my knowledge the Tualatins were all Socket 370 processors while the Coppermines were available in both Slot 1 and Socket 370 of speeds up to 1.1GHz.
It's possible to get slot 1 -> socket 370 adapters, and if this is what you have then I'd say your processor is a Tualatin. Some adapters will allow Tualatins to run on older boards - some don't.

Can you post pictures of the processors including any numbers/text that might be on them?

Its also possible that your motherboard simply needs a BIOS update to recognise the newer Coppermine processor.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 19, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Know it needs a bios update now, don't know for sure if that will fix it though. IT SHOULD according to dell. And no it's not a 370 socket adaptor, it's a copermine 1000. I would post pics but It's being ass and won't let me. My bios is Two stages out of date, according to dell the update i download gave support for 1ghz+ cpu's but i need to get some 1.44mb disks to update it. all i have laying around are 360k and 720k disks.

my life runs on X86

Reply 5 of 19, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to get my computer to let me post images it might take me a couple posts though. the only stuff on the cards is the speed and build date. the 650 from 99 and the 1000 from 00

Attachments

• Filename
    Photo on 12-01-08 at 11.47 PM #5.jpg
    File size
    149.82 KiB
    Downloads
    304 downloads
    File comment
    here is the back of the 650
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Photo on 12-01-08 at 11.47 PM #4.jpg
    File size
    161.56 KiB
    Downloads
    301 downloads
    File comment
    here is the front of the 650
    File license
  • Filename
    Photo on 12-01-08 at 11.47 PM #2.jpg
    File size
    176.5 KiB
    Downloads
    293 downloads
    File comment
    this is the back of the 1000
    File license
  • Filename
    Photo on 12-01-08 at 11.47 PM.jpg
    File size
    163.17 KiB
    Downloads
    289 downloads
    File comment
    this is the front of the 1000
    File license

my life runs on X86

Reply 7 of 19, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I Found the same thing and looked up "Autosize cache" too. I'm gonna have to update my bios and go from there. I posted this then spent hours searching around myself for an answer.

my life runs on X86

Reply 9 of 19, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it a 10 x 100MHz or 7.5 x 133MHz cpu? your board may not support the 10x multiplier if it is the former.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 10 of 19, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PIII 650 only came in Coppermine-core form. So a 1GHz Coppermine should throretically work, however...

I'd go to http://www.cpu-world.com and search the CPU ID on the site by either it's SL number (ie: SL4BR) or ID code (ie: 80526PY1000256) and try to identify if it's a 10x100MHz or 7.5x133MHz FSB chip. A quick search on a Dell forum showed that the T650r may only support a 100MHz FSB chip, so it may not recognize the CPU properly if it's a 133 chip.

In any case, it also may not work without a BIOS update as well, so that may be worth trying first.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 12 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its likely the motherboard does not support 133mhz fsb processors. 650mhz is COMMON as the fastest 100mhz chip you get. 850 is another "fastest possible" chip.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 13 of 19, by pinkdonut666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I should be getting some HD disks so ic an test if the update dose what the sparse description says "lets A05 to A07 users upgrade BIOS for faster CPU replacements." All i have is a brand new box of 2DD disks. NOT BIG ENOUGH it says, I thought a 470kb program could fit on a 720kb diskette... But who am I to Judge Dell and there all powerful holy-ness... ...

my life runs on X86

Reply 14 of 19, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Its likely the motherboard does not support 133mhz fsb processors. 650mhz is COMMON as the fastest 100mhz chip you get. 850 is another "fastest possible" chip.

man there are pentium3 1ghz and 1.1ghz with coppermine core and 100fsb. 😒
its not very easy to find though, i also want one to run on my bx platform.

Reply 15 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
noshutdown wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Its likely the motherboard does not support 133mhz fsb processors. 600mhz is COMMON as the fastest 100mhz chip you get. 850 is another "fastest possible" chip.

I meant common speed walls. 600mhz was the fastest first gen p3 made. It came with 512kb of cache. A LOT of systems stopped at 850 mhz. I don't know the details off-hand, but there was a shift in coppermine cache and some boards didn't support it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 16 of 19, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
noshutdown wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Its likely the motherboard does not support 133mhz fsb processors. 600mhz is COMMON as the fastest 100mhz chip you get. 850 is another "fastest possible" chip.

I meant common speed walls. 600mhz was the fastest first gen p3 made. It came with 512kb of cache. A LOT of systems stopped at 850 mhz. I don't know the details off-hand, but there was a shift in coppermine cache and some boards didn't support it.

Not only that but Dell was also notorious for programming only the strings for the CPUs they want you to upgrade to in the BIOS. For example, systems with that Motherboard may have came with a 650, the fastest they sold in their upgrade store may have been a 750 (just an example), nothing faster will work by design.

Anyway, I work for a PC store that does recycling, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a faster PIII, but can't promise anything.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 17 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maddmaxstar wrote:
luckybob wrote:
noshutdown wrote:

Not only that but Dell was also notorious for programming only the strings for the CPUs they want you to upgrade to in the BIOS. For example, systems with that Motherboard may have came with a 650, the fastest they sold in their upgrade store may have been a 750 (just an example), nothing faster will work by design.

Anyway, I work for a PC store that does recycling, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a faster PIII, but can't promise anything.

Yup. My Dell GX1's have this issue. You can only use BIOS versions up to A7 if you want to be able to use the fastest P-III's in them. Anything after that and they hobble your upgrade options to about 600mhz.

Reply 18 of 19, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Such a policy just motivates unofficial BIOS modifications. My main retro Slot-1 system also uses an unofficial BIOS to support Tualatin core P-III processors.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 19 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

Such a policy just motivates unofficial BIOS modifications. My main retro Slot-1 system also uses an unofficial BIOS to support Tualatin core P-III processors.

It also motivates in using standard equipment instead of using Dells.
I personally avoid anything that can't use a standard PSU and a standard AT(X) case.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!