VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I originally didn't beleive that 128Kx8 DIP cache chips came in anything faster than 15 ns, but behold, every desirable 486 cache configuration with 10 ns chips are shown below.

With these 10 ns chips, you can have 256 KB double-banked cache, 512 KB double-banked cache, 512 KB single-banked cache, and 1024 KB double-banked cache. The 10 ns cache over 15 ns really just provides peace of mind when running the FSB at 66 MHz. While not essential for 66 MHz operation, they were the same price as the 15 ns chips, so why not?

Attachments

• Cache_10ns.jpg
    Filename
    Cache_10ns.jpg
    File size
    82.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have several dozen of each, all matched and from the same batch. Tested and work in my Cyrix 5x86-133 (2x66) system. I will be populating my fleet of 486 boards with them along with their respective flashable BIOS chips.

Reply 3 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never knew 10ns SRAM chips existed like that! 😳
I only knew of 12ns

But I reckon these chips aren't cheap, right?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Never knew 10ns SRAM chips existed like that! 😳
I only knew of 12ns

Me neither. I thought there were 12ns chips, though.

Reply 5 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd like to get my hands on some of that.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I'd like to get my hands on some of that.

I offered to extend my order quantities to vogons members on page 3 of this thread,
Hypothetical 5x86
but there seemed to be little interest. Two other vogons members will end up with some 10 ns cache.

Tetrium wrote:

$1.77 each, but I also found them for $0.80 each. I trusted the $1.77 source more and they accepted paypal, so that is what I went with.

Reply 7 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn. I don't know how I missed that.

Reply 8 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Damn. I don't know how I missed that.

Same 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I spoke with Winbond today. This SRAM was discontinued around 2003.

W24257AK-10 is in their system, implying the part was made.
W24512AK-10 is not in their system, whereby W24512AK-12 was the fastest in their system. My W24512AK spec sheet from the 90's only went as low as 15 ns, so there must be a newer spec sheet floating around out there somewhere.

They could not tell me if they ever produced these with yellow lettering, nor do they have the specification sheets. Not a lot can be concluded from this. What I've noticed a lot with just about all high tech companies is that once a part is discontinued, they pretty much abandon and shred all previous knowledge of it.

ISSI claims that these chips were only ever produced as fast as 12 ns and with white lettering. I've been using the IS61C1024-10N chips in my everyday use 486 box and have not had any problems. I'm using the fastest cache settings of 2-1-1-1 at 33 MHz. My uptime is 5 days, 17 hours so far. 3-2-2-2 at 66 MHz also works fine, so even if the cache is a Chinese reprint, it is good enough for the fastest possible 486 system.

Another thought is that the California-based divisions of ISSI and Winbond did not produce, or are not aware of, the 10 ns cache, and perhaps only the Asian divisions of the companies made them for some niche market. I only spoke with the California divisions of these companies. When I inquired about the last production date of the ISSI 15ns chips, I was told 1999, but I have some 1024 ISSI chips with 2002 date codes and the white lettering. Evidence of this was sent to ISSI but I have not received any comment.

EDIT:
Of the 100 '1024' pieces tested, there have been 9 faulty modules.

Of the 22 '257' pieces tested, there has been 1 faulty module.

Of the 36 '512' pieces tested, there have been 0 faulty modules.

EDIT:
Given the 9% failure rate of the '1024' chips, I have a new theory as to their origin. It may be that they were produced by a company other than Winbond or ISSI, perhaps by some discount fab, who figured that putting a brand name of the chip would render them more attractive from a sales perspective.

EDIT:
257, 512, & 1024 chips passed MemTest 4.

The authenticity of this cache is still unknown. Does anyone know how to reliably test DIP cache for 10 ns operation?

Reply 10 of 19, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no wonder I think that there was no comment from California division... They can't possibly track any Asian activity 😀
Also they will not probably say bluntly that "such items you are having might be fake", so no comment 😀

Should we try to stick with the official claim and look for the 12ns chips?
These might have less chance of being faulty...

But probably they are less readily available either.

Reply 11 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 10 ns '257' chip works fine in a socket 7 i430TX at 83 MHz (FSB) and has passed several weeks worth of rigorus benchmarking on 2 dozen+ CPUs. 64 MB of PC100 RAM was also used in these tests. I've also been running my 486 24/7 with the '1024' chips for almost 3 months without any issues.

From the US-English spec. sheets, the '257' pieces did officially come in 10 ns and the '1024' pieces are listed as low as 12 ns (as of May 1999). Perhaps some spec. sheets in Chinese with a slightly newer publication date will have ISSI '1024' pieces with a 10 ns listing?

I would not be surprised if the Western market didn't bother to sell a faster 10 ns chip as this form factor was already rather obsolete by the 1999 publication date. There may have still been some obscure China-only motherboards using DIP cache after 1999.

Another possibility is that a discount company (other than Winbond and ISSI) made these faster 10 ns chips but figured the chips would sell better if marked with a Winbond/ISSI brand name.

I find that the 10 ns '1024' chips have no issues with a 66 MHz FSB and 3-2-2-2 L2 timing. The 9 out of 100 bad pieces were total failures and I have not had any issues with the remaining 91 chips. A possible reason for the 9% failure rate may be because these chips were never qualified after production simply because the demand was not there (there wasn't a buyer, or perhaps some company bailed on an order). The manufacturing company probably didn't want to spend money to qualify them if they were going to get scrapped, or in this case, sit in a wearhouse indefinately. If that is the case, then there would have been a 91% fab yield, which sounds pretty good to me.

If you are looking for 1024 KB of L2 cache, the easiest combination, by far, is to get 12 ns '257' chips and 15 ns '1024' chips.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-07-07, 12:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dang, missed out on that too. If you ever feel like doing another I'm definitely "in" on it. 😀 I've got some 10ns 32kx8 laying around, never been able to find anything more dense than that.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 15 of 19, by SnipeUout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:

It's not really needed. 15ns is fast enough.

Where can I find 512k to 1024k of 15ns?

Retro Rig: PIII 1Ghz (SL4KL), P3B-F 1.04, Crucial 512Mb, Geforce4 TI4600, SATAII Raptor, AWE64 GOLD, STB Voodoo 2… TBC

Reply 16 of 19, by ludov p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm also after both the fast 10n cache (double banked 512kb total) and the 64mb one-stick fpm 60ns ram, please let me know if anyone has any. Its for the Biostar mainboard with a 180mhz amd x5 on it 😀

Reply 17 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But the 10ns stuff is fake. 12ns is available for 32kx8, but the 128kx8 stuff is pretty much unobtanium.

Reply 18 of 19, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-05-21, 23:28:

But the 10ns stuff is fake. 12ns is available for 32kx8, but the 128kx8 stuff is pretty much unobtanium.

Although it does appear to be functional, minus ~10%.

Reply 19 of 19, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree, it's not a bad deal if all you need is 15ns cache and you can weed out the bad ones.