VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been bitten by the Slot-1 bug (again) and itching to build a new Slot-1 based system to replace my K6-2 system.

Right now, I'm eyeing on two boards - one is based on i440BX and the other is based on the Apollo Pro chipset.

I'm planning to use my PII 400 - unlocked (SL2S7) on it.

Just that I can't make up my mind. Primary use - classing gaming which will include MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11 and Windows 95c.

Most probably, I'll be using it UNDERclocked.

What do you guys think? I just can't make up my mind. I'll choose the one with the most vote. (Will be helpful if the reason for the selection can be mentioned too, which might trigger my own interest or proceed to buy that variant.)

Thanks!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 440BX had a well deserved reputation as a reliable workhorse so that's what I'd go. VIA chipsets are known to be a bit quirky sometimes 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd vote for BX, especially since you're underclocking

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Malik wrote:

Thanks again guys! Wow! BX won with full votes!! 😁

Poor old VIA - no one wants to play with it. 😢 But everyone here is right, BX is the retro legend.

VIA is good if you need 133Mhz FSB though..either VIA, Rambus or that elusive Abit SH6 if you want to go Slot 1

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 22, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Poor old VIA - no one wants to play with it. 😢 But everyone here is right, BX is the retro legend.

Awww.. don't feel so bad RG100. I only recommended the BX 'cause Malik wanted to use it with a P2 and underclock the thing. I continue to favour 694X chipsets for late P3 builds. My Super Coppermine rig (in it's nth iteration) continues to run a 694X board- MS-6309. If you look at the SuperPi scores elsewhere on this board, you'll find it's very competitive with the i815 and i820 rigs posted there.

Maddmaxstar's System: Pentium III 933Mhz/VC820/256MB RDRAM PC-800/WinME- 3m 9.189s

Tetrium's: Coppermine 1000 PC-133 256MB SDRAM(cl3) WinME i815 chipset - 2m 58.616s

SGT76's PIII Coppermine @ 966mhz (7x 138) / MSI MS-6309 (VIA Apollo Pro 694X)/ 512mb CAS 3 ram/ Win98SE2ME- 2m 57.883s

Guys, I posted your scores not to boast, but to show that the VIA 694X is not like the shitty, no, very shitty 694A. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole either...though I have one just FTR 😁

Last edited by sgt76 on 2012-01-24, 12:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 22, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:
Malik wrote:

Thanks again guys! Wow! BX won with full votes!! 😁

Poor old VIA - no one wants to play with it. 😢.

"Oh VIA i never gonna give you up" 😵

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

OMG, YOU have been rick rolld. 🤣 🤣

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 14 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
Awww.. don't feel so bad RG100. I only recommended the BX 'cause Malik wanted to use it with a P2 and underclock the thing. I […]
Show full quote
retro games 100 wrote:

Awww.. don't feel so bad RG100. I only recommended the BX 'cause Malik wanted to use it with a P2 and underclock the thing. I continue to favour 694X chipsets for late P3 builds. My Super Coppermine rig (in it's nth iteration) continues to run a 694X board- MS-6309. If you look at the SuperPi scores elsewhere on this board, you'll find it's very competitive with the i815 and i820 rigs posted there.

Maddmaxstar's System: Pentium III 933Mhz/VC820/256MB RDRAM PC-800/WinME- 3m 9.189s

Tetrium's: Coppermine 1000 PC-133 256MB SDRAM(cl3) WinME i815 chipset - 2m 58.616s

SGT76's PIII Coppermine @ 966mhz (7x 138) / MSI MS-6309 (VIA Apollo Pro 694X)/ 512mb CAS 3 ram/ Win98SE2ME- 2m 57.883s

Guys, I posted your scores not to boast, but to show that the VIA 694X is not like the shitty, no, very shitty 694A. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole either...though I have one just FTR 😁

Actually, that rig is also mine 😁
And no worries about quoting my scores, you may abuse them anytime 😁

I'll remember your recommendation about the 694X, though I prefer the 694T myself hehe 😉
The 694X also has the advantage of being able to use more then 512MB memory, something the i820 and i815 can't do (but BX can, way to go Intel 😵 )

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 22, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another vote for the epic BX! Love my 440BX machine 😁 QDI BrillianX-9 Socket 370 with a PIII 800E and 192MB of RAM (3x64MB PC100) topped off with an ATi Rage Fury Maxx, 2 x Voodoo 2 8MB's, an Adaptec 2940UW card with 2x 9GB IBM Deskstar Ultra Wide SCSI disks and a Terratec EWS64S card with 16MB RAM to top things off. Clocks to 900MHz with ease although I keep it at stock. Running 98SE and use Daemon Tools to mount CD images as I'm lazy 🤣 Nothing like sitting back and watching 3DMark 2000 and 01 as well as the Matrox G400 demo and Rage Dawning 😁

I'll have to take some pics and post it here in more detail 😁

Reply 16 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe! I was kind of joking, when I was 😢 about VIA. BX boards are treasured retro gems. Malik, I hope you have fun with your downclocked BX board! If you get an Asus P2B, there's no special reason to get a revision 1.12 board, because if you are going to use a PII CPU in it, then any PCB revision will be OK.

Reply 17 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks again! RG100, that VIA Apollo Pro is good for overclocking and for the 133MHz FSB, and then some (new features). That's why I had this "dilemma" to choose one from this pool of 2. 😁

And yeah, I had that ASUS P2B and P3B-F last time. I think I sold them or they had some problem...can't remember.. too many boards last time, and now I started to miss the boards again...

And also guys, look out for the A-Bit BX6 Slot 1 Mobo. This baby has the "Soft Bios" where you can alter the multiplier and the FSB in the BIOS. No need to open the case manually altering multiplier jumpers. (There's none on this board anyway.) - Perfect for unlocked PIIs like the SL2S7 I have.

There's one currently available on ebay, but it's slighlty expensive. (He knows what he's selling, I guess. 😉)..

I also wanted to create a thread to have inputs of all PII - multiplier friendly boards, and prefereably those with the "Soft Bios" options. Perhaps I'll start it soon or someone may begin. - A kind of repository for unlocked Pentium II options.

Reply 18 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
Thanks again! RG100, that VIA Apollo Pro is good for overclocking and for the 133MHz FSB, and then some (new features). That's w […]
Show full quote

Thanks again! RG100, that VIA Apollo Pro is good for overclocking and for the 133MHz FSB, and then some (new features). That's why I had this "dilemma" to choose one from this pool of 2. 😁

And yeah, I had that ASUS P2B and P3B-F last time. I think I sold them or they had some problem...can't remember.. too many boards last time, and now I started to miss the boards again...

And also guys, look out for the A-Bit BX6 Slot 1 Mobo. This baby has the "Soft Bios" where you can alter the multiplier and the FSB in the BIOS. No need to open the case manually altering multiplier jumpers. (There's none on this board anyway.) - Perfect for unlocked PIIs like the SL2S7 I have.

There's one currently available on ebay, but it's slighlty expensive. (He knows what he's selling, I guess. 😉)..

I also wanted to create a thread to have inputs of all PII - multiplier friendly boards, and prefereably those with the "Soft Bios" options. Perhaps I'll start it soon or someone may begin. - A kind of repository for unlocked Pentium II options.

The Chaintech boards I've used had at least the multiplier selectable from within the BIOS (don't remember fsb being there).
Is selectable multipliers inside the BIOS really that special?

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ermmm...not that special, but it's easier to change the multiplier from the BIOS, rather than opening up the case and changing the jumpers or setting the dip switches manually. And you can continously do it to change system speeds on the fly (at each boot though). For one, you don't need to turn off the system for this purpose.