VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This issue has me nagging for a while now.
To keep this short, whenever I build a new rig, I always end up searching on the net about driver versions and best compatibility for hours!

But this always ends up becoming half a gamble because I don't really know if the particular driver I end up using is the preferred one.

But...since here on Vogons I'm surrounded by people who know a lot more about driver versions and OS support and such, I thought I might as well ask you guys. And this thread might become somekind of database, so to say, of which drivers work best with any particular graphics card and

If you (just putting this as an example of what I mean) want to use a GeForce 3 in a machine with Windows ME, what driver would be best suited for the graphics card?

What drivers do you guys consider to be the preferred version with what particular graphics card and which OS?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 4, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to clarify what Tetrium is saying; he is asking what VERSION / REVISION of a graphics card driver is best suited for a particular card model. 😀

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 2 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chaniyth wrote:

Just to clarify what Tetrium is saying; he is asking what VERSION / REVISION of a graphics card driver is best suited for a particular card model. 😀

Exactly 😀

Heres an example of what I mean.

If I search google for GeForce 3 best driver, I come across a large number of threads, including these ones:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/windows-xp-linu … orce3-dell.html
"As for drivers, some of the older ones may be a little more tightly tuned for the DirectX 8 series cards, but the later ones will have more bugfixes."
Alright, but it doesn't give me an answer as to what driver is best suited

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/130508-15 … rivers-geforce3
The recent set (5*.**) ran okay, but yesterday I tried the 41.09s I used to
run on my MX200 and my 3dMark01 score rocketed

This thread narrows it down to the 4x.xx drivers and mention the 5x.xx drivers slow down the GF3 and GF2MX. Now we're getting somewhere!

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1885933
"try 44.03"
"The fastest for DX8 Nvidia cards."

Now this short thread points me towards the 44.03 drivers, but the thread is very short.

So now I suppose the 44.03 driver is the best available for the GeForce 3 (and perhaps also GeForce 2?)

Now for example the Radeon 9600

If I search google for Radeon 9600 best driver, I get all kinds of different advices. One person advices to install Catalyst 6.2 without ccc and definitely not the Omega drivers while the nest person advices the Omega drivers and definitely not the standard Catalyst driver 😵
Lots of people with all kinds of issues with these cards, but no definitive answer as how to solve them 🙁 (and no definitive answer as to what driver to use)

I know this:
When trying to find a driver for an old piece of hardware (graphics cards specifically) "usually" at some point a newer driver will even slow down your performance, but may increase stability. But otoh at some point a driver is so new, it will become un-optimized for your graphics card.

Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 4, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Exactly :) […]
Show full quote
Chaniyth wrote:

Exactly 😀

Heres an example of what I mean.

If I search google for GeForce 3 best driver, I come across a large number of threads, including these ones:
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/windows-xp-linu … orce3-dell.html
"As for drivers, some of the older ones may be a little more tightly tuned for the DirectX 8 series cards, but the later ones will have more bugfixes."
Alright, but it doesn't give me an answer as to what driver is best suited

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/130508-15 … rivers-geforce3
The recent set (5*.**) ran okay, but yesterday I tried the 41.09s I used to
run on my MX200 and my 3dMark01 score rocketed

This thread narrows it down to the 4x.xx drivers and mention the 5x.xx drivers slow down the GF3 and GF2MX. Now we're getting somewhere!

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=1885933
"try 44.03"
"The fastest for DX8 Nvidia cards."

Now this short thread points me towards the 44.03 drivers, but the thread is very short.

So now I suppose the 44.03 driver is the best available for the GeForce 3 (and perhaps also GeForce 2?)

Now for example the Radeon 9600

If I search google for Radeon 9600 best driver, I get all kinds of different advices. One person advices to install Catalyst 6.2 without ccc and definitely not the Omega drivers while the nest person advices the Omega drivers and definitely not the standard Catalyst driver 😵
Lots of people with all kinds of issues with these cards, but no definitive answer as how to solve them 🙁 (and no definitive answer as to what driver to use)

I know this:
When trying to find a driver for an old piece of hardware (graphics cards specifically) "usually" at some point a newer driver will even slow down your performance, but may increase stability. But otoh at some point a driver is so new, it will become un-optimized for your graphics card.

The best driver version depends on what you want. If you want raw speed and don't care about bugs, one version might best but if you want bug fixes and are willing to sacrifice some speed then you might want a completely different version. In many cases there is not going to be one version that is best for everybody.

Reply 4 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

The best driver version depends on what you want. If you want raw speed and don't care about bugs, one version might best but if you want bug fixes and are willing to sacrifice some speed then you might want a completely different version. In many cases there is not going to be one version that is best for everybody.

Ah, I see!
That pretty much sums it up! Cheers 🤣!

Report spammers here!