Cyrix appreciation thread

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 405, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-05-01, 17:32:

A 32GB TNT2 M64 eh? 😅

No, of course, for such performance in SS7, I needed a R9800pro.

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 401 of 405, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2024-05-01, 17:32:

A 32GB TNT2 M64 eh? 😅

🤣 good spot, and I used to think my Radeon R9 had wasted VRAM...

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64. 256MB/1GB.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT. 32GB/1TB..
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25. 16MB/400MB.

Reply 402 of 405, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DarthSun wrote on 2024-05-01, 14:35:

You need a good setup and you're near Intel or better ...

225621_f7pmpngptgjtqdil_quadrogrup.jpg
225621_lbwvpzq8fwpv2eef_g1_nature.jpg225621_vlecayuuhih4p34l_g1_q2strefresh.jpg

Excellent, thanks for sharing - looks like I'm pretty much getting the most out of my chip then.

Reply 403 of 405, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So this is not really the right place to ask this, but, it is related to a Socket 7 based system I just picked up with a Cyrix CPU - so better than starting a new thread?

The board in this system has both AT and ATX PSU headers. At present it's using its original AT PSU.

Were I to use an ATX power supply instead, how would it switch on? I'm assuming like modern ATX boards, it would have front panel headers that need to be shorted, but where does that leave the power button switch currently connected to the PSU? I don't mean to be lazy - the board appears to not have a manual online, and I've done some googling about how these dual AT/ATX boards tend to hook up to the power button, but it's one of those questions that yields irrelevant results from searches.

I guess I could replace the mechanism from the button with a standard box-shaped breaker and two wire circuit?

Thanks 😁

Reply 404 of 405, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-05-05, 00:55:
So this is not really the right place to ask this, but, it is related to a Socket 7 based system I just picked up with a Cyrix C […]
Show full quote

So this is not really the right place to ask this, but, it is related to a Socket 7 based system I just picked up with a Cyrix CPU - so better than starting a new thread?

The board in this system has both AT and ATX PSU headers. At present it's using its original AT PSU.

Were I to use an ATX power supply instead, how would it switch on? I'm assuming like modern ATX boards, it would have front panel headers that need to be shorted, but where does that leave the power button switch currently connected to the PSU? I don't mean to be lazy - the board appears to not have a manual online, and I've done some googling about how these dual AT/ATX boards tend to hook up to the power button, but it's one of those questions that yields irrelevant results from searches.

I guess I could replace the mechanism from the button with a standard box-shaped breaker and two wire circuit?

Thanks 😁

You also need to start with AT/ATX power. ATX with the Power spike, ATX with a starter and AT Power is turned on with power. There are some that can be selected with a jumper on the motherboard, some that automatically handle it.

The 3 body problems cannot be solved, neither for future quantum computers, even for the remainder of the universe. The Proton 2D is circling a planet and stepping back to the quantum size in 11 dimensions.

Reply 405 of 405, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DarthSun wrote on 2024-05-05, 07:54:
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-05-05, 00:55:
So this is not really the right place to ask this, but, it is related to a Socket 7 based system I just picked up with a Cyrix C […]
Show full quote

Thanks 😁

You also need to start with AT/ATX power. ATX with the Power spike, ATX with a starter and AT Power is turned on with power. There are some that can be selected with a jumper on the motherboard, some that automatically handle it.

That's great, thank you very much.