VOGONS

Cyrix appreciation thread

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 366, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wanted to show my Cyrix appreciation - a link to my other build thread here: Artex's Build of the Week: Cyrix 5x86-120GP + MB-8433UUD + SB16 & Roland DB + GUS = Joy

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 182 of 366, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote:

I'm looking for a cyrix 6x86mx pr 233 found one on ebay tested for 30 dollars is that an ok price?

It would depend on what part of the world you are from. Prices are higher in some places than in others.

Reply 183 of 366, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

I'm looking for a cyrix 6x86mx pr 233 found one on ebay tested for 30 dollars is that an ok price?

As posted above - it depends from your location.
Plus the only Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 I seen was 2.5x75 MHz. But there is some info about the others 2 models - 3x66.7 MHz and 2x83.3 MHz. Maybe the seller sells something like this... I was wrong, these two were IBM only.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2015-02-28, 10:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 184 of 366, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote:

I wouldn't pay that much for such a common processor. Is there any reason you are after this particular marking on the CPU? I think any MX PR233 or better, like the MII, can run at 200 MHz.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 185 of 366, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I wouldn't pay that much for such a common processor. Is there any reason you are after this particular marking on the CPU? I think any MX PR233 or better, like the MII, can run at 200 MHz.

Ok so it's a bit expensive even if transport is free ? problem is i can't find any kind of 6x86mx or M2 locally.
I'm looking for this particular model, since i wan't to recreate an old pc for a friend,he had this model of proc back in 98.

Reply 186 of 366, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Ok so it's a bit expensive even if transport is free ? problem is i can't find any kind of 6x86mx or M2 locally.
I'm looking for this particular model, since i wan't to recreate an old pc for a friend,he had this model of proc back in 98.

A little bit, but it depends if you really care or not. You basically pay that to go out to see a movie now anyway, so if you'll get a few hours of fun out of it then it is probably worth it for you.

I wouldn't pay that much, but I have one already and also it doesn't have the same sentimental value as it does to you.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 187 of 366, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I originally wrote this in response to a post in another thread, but realized the post is more appropriate here instead.
re: why Cyrix would have been appealing at that time:

AMD was practically dead with their fastest K5 running at about 90MHz. I thought they were going to go out of business, in any case they were irrelevant.
Intel's fastest desktop Pentium was either the 166 or 200MHz, and they were expensive.
Cyrix had the 6x86 "P166+" and "P200+" for lower prices, and they had great performance in the integer based apps of the time. They also gave me some confidence by posting a list of recommended motherboards on their web site - our previous home-built PC had been a disaster of instability, so much that I was unsure of the wisdom of home building a PC. The Cyrix build worked out great, it was a solid machine, and finally allowed me to play games that I had never been able to reliably enjoy on our crash-prone 486.
At the time we got ours, Cyrix was pretty much at their competitive peak. The FPU weakness didn't come to light until 3D became a big thing, with Quake in my case. It had run DOOM very well, but DOOM is integer based.
Even after I decided to upgrade, I gave serious thought to just getting a faster clocked Cyrix M2 chip for the old board. I'm not sure if that would have been a good idea. Dangit, that's another build I should try sometime. I still have that old motherboard, and some faster Cyrix and Pentium MMX chips to compare.

After it was retired from gaming, that Cyrix machine became my first UNIX system, running an old version of FreeBSD. My introduction to UNIX in college was pretty rough, I needed the help. 😀

Reply 188 of 366, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a 6x86MX PR23 (3.0 x 66MHz model) as an upgrade for a K5 PR133. Unfortunately it didn't work on my mainboard (or at least only at 133MHz, probably because of missing split voltage support - I just didn't have enough knowledge at the time) so I had to upgrade my mainboard too.
Even at 133MHz it was a lot faster in some tasks/games than the K5, but not in Quake, even at 200MHz I was disappointed there. I had read that Cyrix had improved FPU performance in the M2 over the M1, but that must have been insignificant. I was much happier with the K6-2 I upgraded to after a short while. Fortunately both CPUs were quite cheap.

Reply 189 of 366, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By the way, was there a standard (2.9 V) version of this Cyrix?

Reply 191 of 366, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

You mean 66mhz x 4.0?

Yes.

Reply 192 of 366, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well this arrived, it's a 386-to-486 Cyrix upgrade complete in the box.
xi0DlGN.jpg
prhmtem.jpg
yaAm98I.jpg
jSJX1NM.jpg
bBxXAOk.jpg
ZjT1nho.jpg

I'll transcribe the manuals and extract the files off the floppies if anyone needs them. Because I (presume) these don't remain complete in the box I'll keep the contents and won't discard them.

"Higher performance without buying a new computer!", classic.

Reply 193 of 366, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! What system do you plan on putting this into? I hope that red dot does not mean it failed QC.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 194 of 366, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

could you make a pdf scan of the manual available if and when you have time?

Could have been that it failed at 66MHz, but it works perfectly fine at 50.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 195 of 366, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

could you make a pdf scan of the manual available if and when you have time?

Could have been that it failed at 66MHz, but it works perfectly fine at 50.

It must be as the CPU works fine, and yes I'll scan the manual when I have a chance and send you a PM.

This is primarily meant to temporarily troubleshoot a 386 system, but it could become the primary CPU of the machine.

Reply 197 of 366, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking at the instructions on the back of that box for upgrading SX processors...
Did they include some sort of gizmo that lets you just snap the CPU on top of the pins of a soldered SX chip? Because it seems like that's what they're implying.

Reply 198 of 366, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote:

I'm looking at the instructions on the back of that box for upgrading SX processors...
Did they include some sort of gizmo that lets you just snap the CPU on top of the pins of a soldered SX chip? Because it seems like that's what they're implying.

The 386 DX and SX use completely different motherboard designs. The sticker on the front of the box says this one is for DX systems. You need a socketed DX motherboard to use it. Snap on upgrades for 386SX systems are very difficult to locate these days. There was a seller on ebay who had a some a long time ago, but he's been sold out for a really long time now and hasn't been able to get any more to my knowledge.

Reply 199 of 366, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the 486SRx2 manual scanned if anyone needs a copy.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium