VOGONS

First post, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been looking for a long time for a MCB-1, so I can connect my Sound Canvas to my LAPC-I and have them use the same system resources. I've never found one, but I know where I can buy a MCB-2, which was made for the japanese LAPC-N. Would this MCB-2 work with my LAPC-I too, just like a MCB-1 would?

Reply 1 of 25, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would say its worth the risk. The boxes are the same size and use the same connector, so I would not say that it is unreasonable that the MCB-2 is like a cost reduced version of the MCB-1. Similarly, the MPU-IPC-T, where the breakout box is missing a connector, is a cost reduced version of the MPU-IPC. Their boxes are interchangeable otherwise.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 25, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The LAPC-N has identical MIDI out port with a LAPC-I, if I'm not mistaken. Should work, but never had the opprtunity to do so. Hence can't say for sure. But as Great Hierophant said, worth the risk. MCB-1 or 2 are hard to come by.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 25, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paddan1000 wrote:

I've been looking for a long time for a MCB-1, so I can connect my Sound Canvas to my LAPC-I and have them use the same system resources. I've never found one, but I know where I can buy a MCB-2, which was made for the japanese LAPC-N. Would this MCB-2 work with my LAPC-I too, just like a MCB-1 would?

Me looking too for this MCB-1 aswell.. 😜 Yes i have one roland LAPC-I here, but cant use the MPU-401 interface of it..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 4 of 25, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've bought the MCB-2 (and the LAPC-N that was included) for 30$. It will be sent to me from Japan by boat and arrive in a couple of weeks or months. I'll update then of whether it works or not with the LAPC-I.

Reply 5 of 25, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I heard that a gameport/midi adapter can work if you rearrange some pins on the adapter.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 25, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoa there... The MCB-2 is absolutely NOT the same as the MCB-1. Without needing to see a schematic, you risk either partial/no functionality, or a damaged LAPC-I, should you decide to try it.

"Galahad," who used to frequent the QuestStudios forum, had a number of extra MCB-1 connector boxes. You might check with him.

Reply 7 of 25, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps I can open up the MCB-2 and look inside to figure out the pin-out. I found your previous posting with the schematics for the MCB-1.
If the MCB-1 and 2 are different perhaps I can make an adapter that rearranges the pins. I know I can't just use a standard MIDI/Gameport-adapter since the signal has to be inverted.

Reply 10 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a MCB-1 , I can open it and take a look... don't kill a lapc-i trying to connect a mcb-2 that could damage it!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 25, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I figured out that the +5V and the Ground pins were the same for the LAPC-I and the LAPC-N. That was enough for me to dare connect the MCB-2 to the LAPC-I. Too bad it doesn't seem to transmit any data to my external MIDI modules. Is there anything else I should do except just plug it in? And what is the difference between LA MIDI and MPU MIDI?

Reply 12 of 25, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for stealing an old topic, but I have a newb question that is pretty close to the original.

I have Roland LAPC-I and recently I bought Roland SC-55 mkII for General MIDI. I'm planning to install a Sound Blaster (2.0/16Vibra/AWE64) and an LAPC-I in my "brand new" P200 MMX and I was hoping to connect SC-55 through the LAPC-I's game port. But apparently normal DB15/MIDI adapter won't work with LAPC-I? Do I really need official MCB-1 box for LAPC-I/SC-55 connection or are there working and obtainable alternatives? Of course I could always use my SB16 or AWE64 and normal adapter cable to hook up the SC-55, but I was hoping to avoid SB's hanging note bug if possible. Besides, LAPC-I has a genuine MPU-401 on board...

Reply 13 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The LAPC-I does not have a gameport, the port it has is only to be used with a MCB-1 breakout box.
There is a music store here that for some reason has a lose MCB-1 , I tried to get it a couple of years back but the old guy running it wouldn't give me a straight answer about price. So I just didn't bother as I already have a MCB-1... maybe I should go back and see what he has to say now 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 25, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

The LAPC-I does not have a gameport, the port it has is only to be used with a MCB-1 breakout box.
There is a music store here that for some reason has a lose MCB-1 , I tried to get it a couple of years back but the old guy running it wouldn't give me a straight answer about price. So I just didn't bother as I already have a MCB-1... maybe I should go back and see what he has to say now 🤣

Ok. So no alternatives for MCB-1, then? If you happen to stop by that store and they still have it, let me know what's the price. It would seem I have to settle for SC-55 through Sound Blaster at first. I suppose I could dump the idea of MCB-1 and just get either MPU-401 or a clone card. Or if there are SB Pro/16 clone cards that do the MPU-401's job better than SB, I'm open for suggestions (might be cheaper solution than genuine Roland parts).

edit: Oh, crap. Now that I think about it I saw maybe a month ago in our local Finnish auction site a Roland MIDI adapter that at least looked a lot like MCB-1. Of course now it has already vanished so I can't double check. But doubt remains... 😒

edit2: Now I'm 99% sure it was just an MPU-IPC unit, so no sweat. 😀

Reply 15 of 25, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most SBPro clones with a wavetable port do not exhibit the hanging note bug (OPTi 929A, Aztech, ESS)... But none of them will have Intelligent Mode support like a true LAPC-I or a true MPU-401 interface. Of course, you can just use SoftMPU to remedy that.

Reply 16 of 25, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Whaddya know, I just happened to come across Compaq PII-400 machine with 2 ISA slots and an ESS sound card that goes to ISA slot. I have to inspect the exact model as soon as I get back home but it might be ideal compromise with SoftMPU...

If the mere software emulation doesn't cut it for me, I might have to bother keropi at some point abput those Music Quest MPA-401 clone cards...

Reply 17 of 25, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ariakos wrote:
keropi wrote:

Ok. So no alternatives for MCB-1, then? If you happen to stop by that store and they still have it, let me know what's the price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLAND-MCB-1-MIDI-CON … FIAAOSw5ZBWKG0K
theres one for sale right now on ebay.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 18 of 25, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrisNova777 wrote:

Thanks, but it's too expensive for my tastes.

Actually I'm building my own (a bit simplified) MCB-1 as soon as I get all parts: DOS game rig build around GUS Extreme... pros/cons? 😊

Reply 19 of 25, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I'm back after 8 years of abscense.

I spent the day finally soldering together a "MCB-1", which had been a dormant project during all this time. My unit includes only the two MIDI-out ports and none of the other outputs. The only components used apart from the sockets were a 74LS05 HEX inverter, a 100nF polyester capacitor and four 220 ohm resistors.

I connected it from the 15-pin socket of my LAPC-I to the MIDI-in of my MT-32, started a game and absolutely nothing happened except that the LAPC-I started playing music on its own. 5 volts are flowing between the power and ground of my device, but the MT-32 doesn't give any indication that it's receiving anything.

Has anyone else made a MCB-1 by themselves modeled after the circulating plans and managed to make it work?

EDIT: Crap, I just realised I interpreted the pinout of the inverter chip from above instead of from the bottom. I need to resolder everything. I'll do it tomorrow.