VOGONS

First post, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Opinions? I would use it for a DOS/Win98 setup. I can't remember which is better, but I remember that I preferred Trident cards over S3 back in the day.

Reply 1 of 13, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Trident 9440 in one of my machines. Lousy card, I'd rather be running an S3, especially a Virge. If you had more options than that, I'd hunt down a card with an ATI Rage I/II/II+ chipset, like a 3D Charger, 3D Xpression or an Xpert 98 card. The last drivers for those are still available on the AMD website and some of them even have limited support for OpenGL.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 3 of 13, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I remember S3 cards having some major incompatibility with something popular. I just can't put my finger on it. Can anyone remember what I'm talking about? A game, maybe? (NOT a 3D game, I'm not that stupid). Something about the color palette?

Reply 5 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
McMick wrote:

A game, maybe? (NOT a 3D game, I'm not that stupid). Something about the color palette?

The only game off the top of my head I can recall screwing up big time on S3 Trio was Demolition Derby 2

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 13, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find warcraft 1 gives weird little graphical glitches on s3 cards, though the same applies to voodoos and nvidia cards. Like little visual crackles and pops.

So I use a matrox or 3dlabs card, which dont show this problem, or just use dosbox.

It's not really incompatibility, just poor quality something somewhere. So maybe not what you mean at all.

Reply 7 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trident 9440 is a dog. S3 Virge is far superior. I've found prior S3 chips to be much better too, such as the later 8xx/9xx chips. My ET4000 W32/p blew it away as well.

Reply 8 of 13, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

I find warcraft 1 gives weird little graphical glitches on s3 cards, though the same applies to voodoos and nvidia cards. Like little visual crackles and pops.

So I use a matrox or 3dlabs card, which dont show this problem, or just use dosbox.

It's not really incompatibility, just poor quality something somewhere. So maybe not what you mean at all.

I actually played and finished warcraft 1 on Virge DX 4mb back in those times and I dont remember having any issues with it.

Reply 9 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Trident 9440 is a dog.

Yep. In 1996 I was dumb enough to buy one. I only expected it to be slow, but it also had patchy VBE support, crashed Win95 a lot, and made me enjoy my first months of Linux confined to the text console.

Reply 10 of 13, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The first PCI card I bought was a 9440. I guess I was more impressed with it than you folks because I had upgraded from the 8900. Mechwarrior 2 was actually playable on the 9440.

I have a 4MB VirgeDX right now, so I guess I'll use that. Thanks for the replies!

Reply 12 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Trident 9440 still blows away pretty much any ISA card. I have one, it's nothing to write home about, but I've seen worse.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium