VOGONS

First post, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, this is my first post. I've always been into retro games, but only recently have I decided to put together the hardware to run such games as they should be.

Anyway, I've managed to acquire a Roland CM-64, which is a wonderful thing, but I don't have an intelligent MIDI card to hook it up to just yet. And I'm wondering what card I should look for. Should I get maybe an SCC-1, so I'll also have newer Sound Canvas support as well, or go a different route?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SCC-1 would be a good choice for General MIDI games, and it has an intelligent MPU401 so it will drive your CM64 perfectly, for use with games that support the MT32/CM32 and compatibles, but lack GM support.

Alternatively you can get a standalone intelligent MPU401 card, Roland made some (be wary of the MPU-IPC-T as they require both an ISA card and a breakout box, and the ones I see on ebay are usually missing one of these).
The MPU401AT is a standalone card that does not require a breakout box.

There are other companies that make Intelligent MPU401 cards, like Music Quest and MIDIMAN. I have a Music Quest card and it works with my MT32 perfectly.
Some Ensoniq cards have a software-emulated Intelligent MPU401, which should also work with your CM64 when the drivers are loaded.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 8, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi Van, and welcome to Vogons.

The SCC-1 is a possible option, but it'll be expensive just to use it as a MPU-401 card. Furthermore, the CM-64 already has the CM-32P counterpart which has good PCM samples. But then, the SCC-1 is a Sound Canvas on a card with built-in MPU-401 by none other than Roland itself. (Hence the asking price.)

From time to time, you may come across the "PC MIDI Card" by MusicQuest. It's a 8-bit ISA card, which is MPU-401 compatible including the intelligent mode. They come with the models MQX-32 or MQX-16 series. Usually these are sold cheaper since most are not aware that it's a MPU-401 clone.

From QuestStudios, Cloudschatze has written that the following cards are "either directly contain, or are 100% compatible with, Roland's MPU-401 chipset":

CMS CMS-401
CMS CMS-444

Midiman MM-401

Music Quest MQX-16(s)
Music Quest MQX-32(m)

Voyetra V-4000
Voyetra V-4001
Voyetra OP-4001
Voyetra V-22/24

All of the above are quite rare to get nowadays.

For further information, you can visit www.queststudios.com and Vintage Computer Forum Marketplace.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 8, by Van Slanzar de Fanel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick replies. It's good to know there are a lot of options available. The reason I was considering the SCC-1 was for support for the newer games that don't work well with the MT32 line, so it seems like that might be worth looking into. Which brings up another question, how involved is it to switch the SCC-1 from using it's own MIDI to outputting it to the CM64? Or is even switching even necessary. I've done PC gaming for years, but never had any MIDI cards before, so it's a bit of a learning experience for me.

Anyway, a person I know down here that deals with old computer parts says he has a MIDI card for me to look at, still in the box, so I'll see what he's got on Wednesday.

Thanks again!

Reply 6 of 8, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Van Slanzar de Fanel wrote:

how involved is it to switch the SCC-1 from using it's own MIDI to outputting it to the CM64? Or is even switching even necessary.

It's impossible to switch, the SC part of SCC-1 will play simultaneously with outer MIDI device. Just choose which audio output to send to your speakers. You may even send both to acquire some funny results.

Reply 7 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soon we can just use our Sound Blaster cards for this 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It should go with my MPU 401AT which is missing a CM 64

....so you should hand over the CM 64 to me 😁

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium