VOGONS

First post, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi vogons, I was wondering whether there existed in 1997~2001 any famous/legendary coolers for SECC processors. To be precise, I use right now a CoolerMaster cooler for my Athlon 1GHz and was wondering if there is a better replacement available. Please hare your wisdom / thoughts 😉

Reply 2 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is it here
http://www.aberdeeninc.com/abcatg/MICK701.htm

You don't usually find them for sale new anymore. Usually how you find them is attached to old processors. If you find a cheap slot A Athon with one of these attached, you may have to get it that way. If you can get it cheaply enough, you don't have to worry about what to do with the extra CPU you'll have lying around because it's the cooler you were really paying for anyway.

Reply 3 of 29, by [GPUT]Carsten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I really like the GlobalWin VOS32 because of it's concept which included a supplied fan duct:
http://www.globalwin.com.tw/products/cooler/s … fan%20duct.html

From a raw performance point of view, the Alpha P7125 equipped with hi-speed Delta or YS-Tech fans is also worth a look:
http://www.amdpower.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=6#

Reply 4 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if one of those large fanless Pentium II OEM heatsinks that Dell/Gateway/etc used would work? As long as it's a SECC1 heatsink I think it can work.

I had a Globalwin VOS32 but gave it away years ago. I do still have an Alpha P3125 though. 😀

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    63.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    OEM PII junk pile - love the huge heatsinks Slot 1 could fit compared to 370
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 29, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I wonder if one of those large fanless Pentium II OEM heatsinks that Dell/Gateway/etc used would work? As long as it's a SECC1 heatsink I think it can work.

I guess not, these look like SECC2 coolers.

Reply 6 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I had a Globalwin VOS32 but gave it away years ago. I do still have an Alpha P3125 though. 😀

You sure all of those are Pentium II heatsinks? The one in the middle looks more like it's the same shape and size as a Slot 2 Xeon.

Reply 7 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I admit I grabbed the photo from a random PII ebay auction.

Here's another example. Something like this should have no problem with a Slot A Athlon, assuming it can be attached. This baby is $8 with free shipping and a PII CPU. 😉

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    Filename
    1.JPG
    File size
    35.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.JPG
    Filename
    2.JPG
    File size
    38.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 29, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I admit I grabbed the photo from a random PII ebay auction.

Here's another example. Something like this should have no problem with a Slot A Athlon, assuming it can be attached. This baby is $8 with free shipping and a PII CPU. 😉

The mounting systems in SECC and SECC2 are different, to start with.

Reply 9 of 29, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, how is this one different than Thermaltake Golden Orb? Not at all? 😜

http://www.notebook-service.biz/bild/Praktika … er/TTC-M4AB.jpg

EDIT:
Ok, after quick google search I found, that this one is using the same radiator but worse fan.

Reply 10 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Maf wrote:
Guys, how is this one different than Thermaltake Golden Orb? Not at all? :P […]
Show full quote

Guys, how is this one different than Thermaltake Golden Orb? Not at all? 😜

http://www.notebook-service.biz/bild/Praktika … er/TTC-M4AB.jpg

EDIT:
Ok, after quick google search I found, that this one is using the same radiator but worse fan.

The heatsink is the important thing. You can swap in a better fan if you need to.

Reply 11 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Maf wrote:

The mounting systems in SECC and SECC2 are different, to start with.

Yes I know. The second photos are of a SECC1 PII. As far as I know, SECC1 heatsinks will fit Slot A and the large fanless OEM heatsinks are as exciting as the best aftermarket coolers. There's quite a variety of these beasts out there too. I love the fanless aspect for silence, but if you attached a fan to one of these the cooling capacity would skyrocket.

Reply 12 of 29, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Yes I know. The second photos are of a SECC1 PII. As far as I know, SECC1 heatsinks will fit Slot A and the large fanless OEM heatsinks are as exciting as the best aftermarket coolers. There's quite a variety of these beasts out there too. I love the fanless aspect for silence, but if you attached a fan to one of these the cooling capacity would skyrocket.

Uhm, could you show again this SECC1 heatsink? I can't see it.

Reply 13 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is one. I'm not meaning to specifically vouch for one heatsink. There are many of these large air radiator designs that the OEM companies used instead of active cooling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentium-II-Processor- … =item1e679b8ff8

Reply 15 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope that is the original SECC. SECC2 has mounting holes that go completely through to the back, rounded corners in the plastic and removal of the internal cartridge heatspreader.

Athlon
athlonslotak750.jpg

SECC
tplate.jpg

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-03-05, 00:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember Golden Orbs killing Coppermines. The twist down socket attachment was murder on the FCPGA exposed die.

I was more a Alpha Novatech and Globalwin guy honestly. 😉

Reply 19 of 29, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Globalwin FOP38 or something wasn't it? Damn loud bugger.... I have a couple of Cooler Master s370 heatsinks also, one that's pretty tall but slim with a 4000rpm fan and another short little bugger with a real Napoleon complex- something like a 6000rpm fan- sounds like an electric drill. Couldn't stand it for any amount of time.